Ebay Win

duffy

Really? Handpainted?? Cool!!! If it's possible, can we get a better pic??

WOW you'll never believe what hubby just walked in with...

Too wild!!! What are the odds one would show up while we're discussing them....

Excuse me... I'm going shopping!!! LOL

Maybe we should start discussing other HTF stuff and check out a theory!!! ROFL

sorry that's the only picture I had that turned out..dang. I never really examined it in hand because it looked fragile, and well, i have to respect other's, and try not to drool on.LOL

what's really funny to us on hubby's score, is the guttas that I have pictured in tom's collection from vegas, the majority came out of England... what are the odds of finding one in old Tacoma?! heck yeah, lets go shopping!

Next time I see Tom, i'll ask him to bring it, and I'll get some better pictures.

BTW, it was Tom that tried to outbid us on the gutta we got from you. LOL

The handpainted actually was hollow. A early rubber ball IMO and Toms. I actually think they were all more balls than marbles. But whatever they were mainly used for they are very interesting and rare. Peace,Galen

EDIT: I saw them at Samis and Vegas and to the best of my recollection it was hollow

OK... I was confused as to who's they were and who ended up with them!!! LOL

Yeah, it would be awesome to get a picture of it...

I've seen some very cool old hollow rubber balls... Usually, they're either broken, or on the way... But, I've come close to moments of "weakness!!" 'Just never found the right one, at the right time, in the right condition, for the right $$$ I guess...

interesting, thanks Galen. Funny they would make a rubber ball with hand painted images that would crack and peel quickly. maybe almost instantly after playing.

the smaller gutta though were indeed game marbles. not balls.

but then would a 2" bennington be a ball?

small FYI, so no one gets confused. the Guttas are solid as a rock. as we had Lee cut one in half.(yes we did that!)and it was quite hard, and very dense. Geez what we'll do for a newsletter huh?

Like early rubber gutta gets even harder with age as it dries out. Gutta was used for golf balls for quite a while. It revolutionized the game as the feather filled leather balls were all they had until Gutta. The small ones do seem way too light to use in a game of marbles. Playing pieces makes sense. I can see the larger ones being used for carpet games for sure. I sure would like to see some original adds or any paperwork describing the Gutta marbles(balls). Peace,Galen

as we had Lee cut one in half.(yes we did that!)and it was quite hard, and very dense. Geez what we'll do for a newsletter huh?

Hey, if you ever need a picture of a steelie crunched with a sledge hammer, let me know.....

YEARS ago... Just about the time the Paul Bauman's first edition came out, I bought a bunch of steelies on a board... I'd never heard of them and couldn't see the seams...

So, I sacrificed one to curiousity...

It's around here, somewhere................ LOL

Hey Duffy,

Assuming you are disappointed and do wind up with a common rubber ball I just couldn't let this thread go down unanswered leaving rubber balls(Super Balls/High Bounce) in such a derogatory light. I have sort of an advanced collection of Super Balls and would be more than willing to send you a couple outstanding examples including one that I got from Brian Estepp that's well nigh onto being a pee wee. A pee wee in a super ball is rare.....believe me. David

i never thought of collectin super balls david.....its kewl though.....i can remember when they was the just out and was very kewl to have one...they would go a long ways from a baseball bat.... mantle didnt have nothin on me...lolol....

• 2 weeks later...

About gutta percha, it was widely used for all kinds of things, including revolver grips and even hollow walking sticks. In fact, when Rep. Preston "Bully" Brooks went into the well of the US Senate and flogged Senator Charles Sumner, he used a hollow gutta percha walking stick. The material was hard and fairly tough but light, making it useful for casting a variety of objects.