Show Us Your First Glass Marbles Mass-Produced!

I LOVE MARBLES

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Winnie, that's a sweet looking crease pontil transitional! Get to those later.

Hey Charles, saved that mib to my pics, blew it up and think it is a first off cane banded translucent, real nice Rare marble!!!

Hey Bill, glad you noticed! What an incredible bunch of these marbles you have!!! You already know i think that teal blue eggyolk oxblood is if not the best, one of the top ten ever made!!!!!! "Greiners"??? That's the guy that started it all, as far as glass marbles go, right? I love that name for these marbles "Greiner Marbles" Did you come up with that name for these mibs Bill? It's a perfect name for these marbles!!! If ever write a marble book will credit you for naming them!!!!

Hi I'llhavethat1, great group of Greiner marbles!!! Love the egg yolk oxblood & the blue base oxblood!!!

OK Bill T. with the ow as in how now brown cow! Want to see that small oxblood & egg yolk!!!!! Any other Greiner marbles ya got, also you are the picture taking Guru of us all!!!

Clyde T. please post the info on Mr. Greiner here, and any of these mibs you have!!!

Hi Cees, bet you have some of these!!!!!

Hey Lloyd, know you've had a plenty of these "Greiners" over the years!!!!! Did you save any pics???

Come on now any who have them post them, or any comment or info please post it!

Thanks Brian G. did you find any of these "Greiners"?

Hey Dan, bet that brick is not the only one you have, post those scans of your "Greiners"!!!

Here's pic of my case marked mica's -N- first's don't have enough of these "Greiners" to fill a case! Will post pics of each of my "Greiners" later.

Thanks Everybody!!!

post-130-12700110665_thumb.jpg

Scott,

My refrence to "greiner" goes back to a posting war about "transitions" and the use of the term on one of the boards several years ago when one who should have known better said how will we feel if they MAY all turn out to be contemporaries. My reply was anyone who feels that way let me know because I will gladly buy them. The result was research by I think Brian G. turned up German doccuments supporting these as being made by a glass house in Germany run by a family "Greiner". The documents confirmed these to likely be pre cane cut marbles. Someone on the board may have the info from that discussion still. I still think they are some of the most intrigueing marbles and fall victim to their charms far to often.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few of mine including a peewee. Beautiful marbles that I really need to have Bill Tow photograph them for me. But here goes try and imagine them in hand as my pics aren't close. The two largest are an inch and the one with the peeweee is 7/8 Bill

post-173-127180464965_thumb.jpg

post-173-127180467108_thumb.jpg

post-173-12718046896_thumb.jpg

post-173-127180470724_thumb.jpg

Just a few more. The three with oxblood are 1/5/16+ and all came out of Australia in 97. The red white and blue is 1-1/4 and the translucent white with lavender is 1-5/8. The strange light brown and yellow is 15/16 and i have never seen another close to that color combination. The case is just a mix of single pontils, most are melted.

Enjoy, Bill

post-173-127180511767_thumb.jpg

post-173-127180514548_thumb.jpg

post-173-12718051624_thumb.jpg

post-173-127180517786_thumb.jpg

post-173-127180520047_thumb.jpg

Am speechless!!! Wow the Butterfly Translucent!!! Did i see that on the cover of one of the Running Rabbit catalogs? Also until now, never seen one with an amber base with egg yolk & white!!! Bill the big translucent with lavender & white, do i remember seeing the on marblealan's chatboard years ago posted on a thread by marblehaven or it's twin? Will just mimic what Landon said about a few of mine years ago, "The only thing wrong with those marbles is they're not mine!" rotfl Beautiful marbles Bill!!!

I have 5 of these type. Sadly this the only pic I have of any of them right now. Like Bill T. I have a peewee that I got yrs ago fom Block. It's green base and yellow swirls. Of these Greiner type known, one of the most HTF is the solid brick type, NO CLEAR. The solids are usually the ugliest type of brick you will see. Most have pops on them. With out clear maybe the glass didnt mix well. The one in the pic is from the ship salvage that was handled by Del Morgan yrs ago. This is the only one of the Greiner's they left in natural Sea state and not break it out. All the others they broke them out. All the polish jobs were done by Larry Castle I believe.

post-175-127188678689_thumb.jpg

Scott, Yes the butterfly came from running rabbit. The translucent is not the one that was on the boards several years ago. I tried to get that one several times. It was a bit smaller and actually had more turns of color.

Funny how we can look at a marble and not see it. I never concluded that the "brown" one was amber base glass but you are right it is. Now that's like a new marble to enjoy:-). Think maybe we can keep a thread going with just marbles? Bill

Clyde, I remember when you got that peewee. I'm always focussed on bigger mibs but that one is special. The piece from the ship balast is too cool. Talk about adding perspective to our precious balls of glass. The peewee I have came out of a bag of 8 ground pontil slags at an auction of a long closed up antique shop. I think I paid $40 for all of them. It was interesting that the fellow who had the shop 20 years ago sorted those out and recognized they were different. Bill

Scott, Yes the butterfly came from running rabbit. The translucent is not the one that was on the boards several years ago. I tried to get that one several times. It was a bit smaller and actually had more turns of color.

Funny how we can look at a marble and not see it. I never concluded that the "brown" one was amber base glass but you are right it is. Now that's like a new marble to enjoy:-). Think maybe we can keep a thread going with just marbles? Bill

Always glad to help & yes Bill think we can keep this going!

YAH BABY!!! THANKS CHARLES!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370363906534

Did not know this was a "Greiner Marble" when bidding...... but it is!!!! Has a nine oppisite the ground pontil!!! 1 & 3/16" Not much eye appeal, does have a ghost core, i love it!

post-130-127196292587_thumb.jpg

post-130-127196295043_thumb.jpg

post-130-127196297844_thumb.jpg

post-130-12719629999_thumb.jpg