New Marbles Listed As Vintage

Catfish,

The example I gave is how you omit the words:

marbles -radioactive -uranium -knife -figurine -ax -ladybug -figurines -turtles -mosaic -pokeman

You're example is correct. Here is how you set up other searches.

(Marble, marbles) returns listing with either term

Marble Marbles returns listing with both terms

"marble marbles" returns listing with exact matches

You can also add preferences, such as only listings ending in x hours by using the advanced search options.

P.S. Don't forget to save your search so you can use it again......

how do you omit something from an ebay search? I know how to include more than one word..... Example: (marble, marbles) Typed like that, it with bring up all listings with either word in it. Surely there is a way to omit Jabo from the search.

so everything with the dash is omitted? Say I wanted to search for vintage marbles, I could type......... marbles-jabo-contemporary-cats eye-new-crap-damaged-broken-akro-swirl

and that would give me every listing with the word "marbles" and omit everything else? Sweet.....

Yep, you got it.....I think you may need a space before the hyphen (dash) such as marbles -jabo -contemporary (but I'm not positive).

Unfortunately, it will only filter out new-crap-damaged-broken if the seller uses those words in the description. I have been trying to develop a clarvoyant routine for years and still with no success ;)

I'll chime in here. For the most part I do not like the old listed with the new. I don't mind if is says Jabo because at least then I know that it is a new marble. But on many of the others because I know nothing I am very hesitant to even consider a marble because I just don't know if it is new or old. I am getting better. But I will say this every time I see one of Tammy's Vintage Marbles that is a real beauty. I want to drive to her house where ever it is and kick her in the ass. Even to my untrained eyes they are contempoary. Then she goes on to explain that she is a marble idiot. -so why call them vintage if you know nothing and why is her moniker "tammysvintagemarble" Then to add insult to injury she finds them in her basement -how big is that damn basement? The size of the grand canyon. She must also have a very special goose in said basement that is laying vintage marble eggs. And if she is so busy digging in the basement how come she is still alive and not dead because apparently she never comes up and could not possibly have time to eat. Oh wait maybe Domino's delivers to basements also.

Sorry everytime I see one of those ads it sends me on a rant.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMMYS-VINTAGE-MARBLES-THIS-ONE-IS-A-3-4-BEAUTY_W0QQitemZ180489719668QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMarbles?hash=item2a06068f74

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMMYS-VINTAGE-MARBLES-BEAUTIFUL-3-4-INCH-GLASS-EGG_W0QQitemZ170468436080QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27b0b5e870

Pen

On a separate note 'opinions' are not necessarily immutable truths and if they cannot survive a bit of criticism then they just might be more rickety than one might have supposed. I do not accept opinions on faith; I reserve that for my religious side with a willing suspension of disbelief. But with opinions expressed I do not employ a suspension of reason and critical intelligence - faculties that tell us that something is not necessarily the case because it is written down and repeated over and over again. When opinions take on the mantle of uncritical certitude than I know that literalism and fundamentalism have won the day. The axiom expressed here a few days ago or on another Board(I forget) that Opinions about Marbles are Good and Opinions about Opinions are Trouble is at the very least semantically unsound. David

The easiest way to set up a specific search with omitions and all sorts of other "specifications" is to click on "advanced search"

This allows you to do stuff like search the title AND description, search completed listings (I use this a LOT before listing my items, to see if there's a market... You must be signed in to use it... Why??? I dunno....) There's a space for excluding words... There's the option for "Any words, any order".... But, at times, the option "Exact words, exact order" comes in handy... That doesn't limit the search to ONLY those words. They simply have to be in a title exactly as typed.

This page is one of ebay's greatest tools!!! ;)

PS... For some reason, searching title & description doesn't work on completed auctions....

OMG Penelope, every once in a while her listings get posted here... It's just too funny!!

A 150 YEAR OLD HOME..WELL I FINALLY FOUND THE TIME TO CLEAN MY BASEMENT...AND I HAVE FOUND HUNDREDS OF MARLBES. THEY HAVE BEEN IN OLD CANS IN THE DIRT AND IN OLD JARS...

She should add.... "For at least 2 weeks...."

Oh, wait a minute... Let me fix that... "FOR AT LEAST 2 WEEKS." :rolleyes: LOL

'Thing is... These people are everywhere... On ebay, at flea markets and antiques shows, in the shops and co-ops.... Life has never been "Fair" and it never will be...

Blow it off and move on.....