It Seems Jabo Makes Marbles!!

What say......................................

We talk about Jabos HERE!!!

I know constructive discourse can be aggravating when ya come to scrap.

But there are some as persistant as ya'll.

Jus been serving penance!

I believe that serious "for the love of the marble" Jabo "makers" who could enlighten "us" as to what actually has been and is going on, the sharing of discoveries and concerns would go a long way in quieting some of the concerns.

David

edit:

my bad about your bad

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jabo! well damnitman

Tell us about the Jabo Silver Ox?

Intentional non intentional is moot point and smoke screen talk in my opinion.

Heres my feeling on these kinds of marbles.

We should already know more about them.

Weather its a handful, a quart, a bucket, a box, there are marble collectors standing right there. When it spits out Two its not only worth mentioning to fellow collectors its the right thing to do.

Theses marbles will complicate I.D.ing as all marbles before them have done.

The makers know long before these questions come up, over e-bay marbles or on the board that, a particular batch of marbles is going to cause Xtra confusion.

Weather for profit or for the marble they belong to the owners and I guess they owe me no info on watch out fors

but I would think more of them if that is where I got my info.

David

Jabo! well damnitman

Tell us about the Jabo Silver Ox?

Intentional non intentional is moot point and smoke screen talk in my opinion.

Heres my feeling on these kinds of marbles.

We should already know more about them.

Weather its a handful, a quart, a bucket, a box, there are marble collectors standing right there. When it spits out Two its not only worth mentioning to fellow collectors its the right thing to do.

Theses marbles will complicate I.D.ing as all marbles before them have done.

The makers know long before these questions come up, over e-bay marbles or on the board that, a particular batch of marbles is going to cause Xtra confusion.

Weather for profit or for the marble they belong to the owners and I guess they owe me no info on watch out fors

but I would think more of them if that is where I got my info.

David

Well, said David. Hopefully all the investors start opening up a little. You'd think they were working for the CIA the way some of them clam up.

Can you concede that by Picture alone this is a confusing marble?

David

Edit:

sorry about the question, but not going to edited it out.

That might have made it seem personel.

better would have been

ie:

Most would have to concede that by picture alone this is a confusing marble.

David

and its a beaut I would have guessed dug Akro

I think I need to say this again. I don't have any marbles (JABO) that look like vintage. I'm not hiding any marbles. If I had some that could be mistaken, I would be posting pics and warning people. Honest people would do that. I don't have any Tributes or other groups marbles that are look alikes. I do have Joker oxbloods. They don't look like akro to me.

And my post came before your question about the JABO silver ox looking like akro and then I went on to something else. Not ducking your question. Yes, it looks very akro except: I don't have any akro that are flamey. That thing has flames to rival Alley and CAC. Would that cause you to wonder if it was old?

I went back to that silver ox JABO and read it. That's Mikey. Mikey has been in our Tribute group forever. Notice how honest he is describing that marble and then his statement.

One for the books! I have just pulled a vintage Akro Silver Oxblood from my collection for a comparison to the marble listed above. You are going to have to be really expert in the field of identification of marbles to figure out who made this one. This marble is about wet mint! I will not say perfect as you may notice a/some slight as-made micro-sparkles depending on how an individual might grade. This marble is extremely clean and looks really good. I just thought I would put this one out there for those of you that like special and exceptional goods. Come from the New Decade Run of 2/8/2010. Folks on the Marble Chat Boards are sure talking a bunch about marbles like this. I was at this run. Nobody said a word about making anything like anything. What comes out of the marble amchines when glass and color is added just happens. There wasn't a soul saying let's make something that looks like a something but this sure does look even better than a Akro Silver Oxblood in my opinion.

I love how all this has seem to come full circle. In 1999, I am sitting in a motel room at Amana trying to sell nothing but Jabo marbles. I will say that about eight or nine out of ten folks who stopped into my room said.....Oh! It is all just Jabo.....let's keep going...no sense in even stopping in here. Most folks would not even come in and look to see what I was selling. Some of it,(I thought was pretty good) as I am selling solid Tie Dye boxes for $7.00.

Now, probably some of the folks that would even take a look back then are talking about how good or how close to vintage the Jabo stuff looks. I love it! As for the Jabo Silver Ox mimic listed on Ebay having a little flame effect, that is just an accident of the way the glass flowed at Jabo and I believe that the same could have happened with a vintage Akro back in the day. I think Akro probably made a few more silver oxbloods than the few Jabo's that happened by accident in the run I was involved in.

Maybe some folks should quit knocking Jabo and start buying some if they are troubled by them. I did and continue to do so!

It was an extremely honest listing.

I only pulled it in its entireity because I was too lazy to save the pic.

And "we" do now know - well we kinda already knew now we know what we knew we needed to know what we..................

damnitman.

quote: "Anybody find it odd that the mods and owner haven't checked into this thread?"

You expecting trouble? lol

I cannot see where anyone (cept maybe Galen, lol) could have trouble with a Jabo thread. Maybe you if'n someone types what you dont like!

But if that stops you then the rest of us miss out. If'n anyone gets nasty I can verbally wail on them a might if'n ya like? lol

David

You know most of the players, nobody else is offering, some dont see the need, some will protest.

I love how all this has seem to come full circle. In 1999, I am sitting in a motel room at Amana trying to sell nothing but Jabo marbles. I will say that about eight or nine out of ten folks who stopped into my room said.....Oh! It is all just Jabo.....let's keep going...no sense in even stopping in here. Most folks would not even come in and look to see what I was selling. Some of it,(I thought was pretty good) as I am selling solid Tie Dye boxes for $7.00.

Now, probably some of the folks that would even take a look back then are talking about how good or how close to vintage the Jabo stuff looks. I love it! As for the Jabo Silver Ox mimic listed on Ebay having a little flame effect, that is just an accident of the way the glass flowed at Jabo and I believe that the same could have happened with a vintage Akro back in the day. I think Akro probably made a few more silver oxbloods than the few Jabo's that happened by accident in the run I was involved in.

Maybe some folks should quit knocking Jabo and start buying some if they are troubled by them. I did and continue to do so!

After thinking about the above post a little longer, I should tell folks that the Silver Jabo Ox some of the discussion is about came from the NEW DECADE RUN of 2/8/2010. What a great name for a run given the past history I mentioned above and what is going on these days with Jabo marbles. I think tomorrow, I will list another Jabo Silver and some of the family transitionals that it came from. I am strongly considering including a 3/4" vintage Akro in the group for comparison. I do not mind selling the vintage Akro in the group as it looks sort of tired and beat up compared to the new (some colorful) Jabo's sitting with it. You will be able to spot the Akro in the mix because of all the "Hit Marks" on it. the Jabo will be pretty much close to mint!

Thanks,

Mikeymarble of "Lost your Marbles"

During that same time period you talked about Mikey W., Weldon and I were selling contemporary marbles and we got the same reaction. "Nothing in here". We managed to sell handmades and finance a lot of the vintage we were buying. We went to the Hannibal show in the mid nineties and we had Wilganoski and Bob Powers marbles. Men came in, bought a couple and left. We kept being visited and each person would buy a few. We didn't know what they were doing. They went to John Hamon Miller and showed him the marbles they had bought and demanded he shut us down. He asked what are they telling you about the marbles? They said they told us they are new. Said a couple of men who worked at Texas A&M were making them. John then came to our room and he looked at the marbles. Whenever we saw anybody focus on those we started saying, "Those are contemporary. They're made by Bob Powers and Fred Wilganoski. " He talked to us a while, mostly about his uncle Bob Hamon and then he told us why he had come to our room. He also said I don't have a problem with these marbles. You've been honest about them, they're pretty, and I told those gentlemen, "IF you feel so strongly about those marbles that they shouldn't be sold why do every one of you have a pocket full of them?"

We have been around long enough now to see people collecting handmade contemps. We have a large contemp collection ourselves. At our marble show May 1, we have 3 contemp artists who are going to demo the making of marbles. Our club asked for that. I got marble mail yesterday. Dave McCullough sent me a mesh bag of Kokomo's. They were made April 4, 2010. I searched them for an example that everybody is talking about (lookalikes). I didn't find any.