Jabos In The Spotlight!!

Scoop

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when that WV man with marble wisdom chimes in. By the way, in any, ANY identification being made size is integral to your decision. Sizes and other characteristics work hand-in-hand in determining what you have. David

yeah well the marble we bought was 5/8"...

Been looking at Jabo bricks. So far haven't found any close enough to try to fool anyone with. Still hunting. :-)

There were some sweet "Bricks" in the Feb. 8th (New Decade Run).

(2) Jabo Green Bricks. :music-rocker-001:

2cd154d1dcf922f3a83296e9909b2814afe6a23.jpg

Marboman,

I don't think your marble shown a few posts back would be any more misguiding than a John Hamen Miller 3/4" Golden Rebel. And I suspect that in hand it would be readily recognized as anything but what it is.

Again, though, I sort of know my marbles and someone coming in on the wing well it's an entirely different matter. I say, tread lightly, pay your dues and realize that marbles are no one shot affair easily translatable to a 10 point Crib Sheet. So to a certain extent my opinion about the difficulty of these potential look-a-like marbles is a bit clouded and prejudiced from where I'm coming from.

David

Thanks David.The marble is from the 2004 Superman run ,I think.It is much more convincing in hand.The size wouldn't be a red flag either.This marble is not a problem to an experienced Peltier collector but could be a problem for a new collector,IMO Some of Jabo's finest work,nothing wrong with it. :white-flag-25:

Hi Marboman,

We just PM'd separately about this marble and it is either an Indian Wool Blanket or an Indian Blanket. I never got around to determining the difference. It's from the 2003(I'm pretty sure) Superman Run which had the Sweet Pea, Black-Eyed Pea, Indian Wool Blanket, Indian Blanket, Superman and Mountaineer. They are shown in JABO A Classic by Sturtz & Johnson 2008. Actually the Bell Curve of these marbles was shown in the recent Texas Club newsletter but for some reason the color reproduction was all faded out in my issue. whereas the color in the rest of the issue was fine.

Of course, none had aventurine but some Golden Rebels are weak in that respect. That's right isn't it, a Golden Rebel can be without aventurine? See, I don't know everything!

Well, like that patch-like Tribute to Friendship 5/8" marble I discussed in the other thread this marble came about through sheer happenstance and I doubt that Golden Rebel was on the minds of the crew that were sorting and boxing. Indian Blanket or Indian Wool Blanket came more readily to mind as attested to the postings about them and the subsequent books which identify them.

David

Of course, none had aventurine but some Golden Rebels are weak in that respect.

Are you saying none in that superman run had aventurine?

Some of Bo's examples, presumed to be from that run, have been the topic of much conversation because they do have aventurine.

Thanks Steph for mentioning that,you know I love to talk about this.On the Indian Blankets I have found pink aventurine,the Mountaineers have yellow aventurine.The volcano's have a peach aventurine like the one I posted :)

post-1768-127135548491_thumb.gif

post-1768-127135550647_thumb.gif

I never got many of the 3/4" ones from that run so my selection must have missed out on the ones with aventurine. I wasn't even aware that they were going for it back then. I'll have to take my mag lite and give the ones that I have another look-see. Never even considered aventurine....David

Wow

thank goodness for those touch marks.

lol - "yeah well the marble we bought was 5/8"..."

know thats right

David

If getting one of these Jabo Bricks without any touch marks in pristine condition is what is holding you back, I might be able to help. Only adding this comment so that folks know that not all Jabo Special run marbles have as-made marks.

Here is the backside,no buttcrack,of the marble Jabo Indian blanket?Looks sorta golden reblesssh.It does have aventurine! It has a good amount of orange aventurine!Pretty cool JABO And none of the little hit marks you guys were talking about earlier.Very clean :D

post-1768-127137473296_thumb.jpg

Although I have a decent Jabo collection from 2003 and 2004 I never got sufficient qty. in the 3/4" named ones to have the odds work in favor for me to get some of those with aventurine. I did though get an incredible cross section of numerous of the premiere examples. I think Ron had a thing for me then....just kiddin'. But he sure sent me stuff that had to have been absolutely top flight examples.

Separately I have from 2004 these 26 or 28 different Pee Wees that have to have been the top 28 made. And then I boxed them four of each. To die for!

Let's see, what I've been meaning to say here is that my Indian Blankets and Indian Wool Blankets do not give me pause for concern ID-wise. Now maybe this one does. I think I'd have to be right there considering it though.

David

David.I would expect a Golden rebel to have a good amount of black aventurine,some don't and I don't know whether it affects the value or not.But the the Jabo Indian Blanket I posted has orange aventurine.Do you think that since the marble has aventurine at all would further confuse a new collector?The aventurine is not like the new Jabo aventurine,It is finer but easily visible in sunlight :)

David,I have just shown you that I have a Jabo Indian Blanket that looks like a Golden Rebel,to me, with Orange aventurine and your not going to challenge that? I believe there may have been a few pre-special special runs don't you think? Nothing wrong with that,I love them.Sturtz knows about them we talked on the telephone about them.

I appear to be mistaken re. the ID comparison to Indian Blankets or Indian Wool Blankets. Have been talking with Sturtz. As mentioned I have diddly in the 3/4" ones from this period although I'm sitting fat with 5/8" and otherwise. Also I'm not hearing from anyone about all these different aventurine colors in the 3/4"s from that period.

On a separate note I've always understood that a Golden Rebel with attractive black aventurine would have a markedly higher value. No questions asked!

In general I'm not finding, at least for me, that the aventurine presents IDing problems. Like Galen says when he encourages Jabo to use glitz to differentiate potential problem marbles, I consider it a non factor.....really. Actually I think the marbles w/o glitz are more in the tradition of vintage marbles. Not in a problem IDing sense but in a respect for tradition sense. I like it when a marble makes you stand up and salute it on its own w/o aventurine, lutz, mica(Especially w/o mica). And there are many of the Jabos since 2008 w/glitz that I also like. Still those coming off the rollers right now without anything but color are my kind of babies. I want them! David