Cyclones Vs Cobra

Viper (Viper being snakelike).

I think there is going to be a need for some manufacturer familys, regardless of whos run.

I think -know- many marbles will cross runs, same machines, same/similar glass.

this will be where the co llect ers come in yahahaha

I have a lot of differant runs and if your going to name marbles there are many "familys" that deserve one here, but many or most(=51%+) cross runs.

The makers may call it gertrude we may have to call it swirl. less gertrude's around

Blood Viper = Oxblood Viper.

Stephs marble BV, all marbomans BV, my joker oxblood series BV, the ones biblefreak posted - many BV's

there appears to be another family or 2 (one marble I would have name Blood Vipers Nest - the marble), and another probably at this time called by some run sponsers "Cylones"(see post 25 for alternatives) represented in the ones he posted. Viper Nest(spagetti marble)the family, blood the variant. viper nest - good as wirepull.

Are these all same run? I dont know

theres a chance someone is going to take offense at a few people mess'n with the names. ya think

but with such similar(I know yours was special)marbles in differant runs, we cant keep up with every name, ornor shued we haf ta. what?

you could call it, run 38 viper, joker viper..............

many are swirls and run 32 swirl may have to be special enough. Its akin to naming each and every marble. damnitman we'll need birth certificates

jus talking, i do get to name mine

no wonder there is a name haters club!

oh yea! ...........Well trying calling them all, that red marble.

David

A lot of similar marbles from the same place used to have the same name jus add a lill tag

I like ornor, ..gonna stay with it.

the gertrude thing...it aint.......ah, shit

Here is a simple question which I hope promotes a simple answer.

Is a marble name only useful if everyone calls a specific marble the same name: if the answer to this is yes, then why has there not been any efforts by marble enthusiasts (people who are trying to promote and legitimize the marble collecting hobby - move it to the next level per say) to create, promote and circulate such a reference.

If the answer to the above 1st question is no: then call your marbles what ever you want.

Wayne

Good question(s) Wayne. I think you could say that the majority of collectors agree on certain names either from tradition or current combined weight of agreeing meaning consensus. Then there's thems which are completely out of this loop and are pretty much on their own.

Secondly, I believe that there are efforts afoot to bring some uniformity of understanding to the names. This involves different parties. Already you can plug into this information on various websites. It isn't perfect and I guess time will tell. Only today I heard that although Jim King was not too far away from publication the latest Jabo runs coming as fast and furious as they have will be putting that off for a while. I would imagine that he would be wanting to provide as much documentation for these Jabo runs as is humanly possible.

Of course, we always have the right to call our own marbles whatever we want. I personally reserve that right. David

Good question(s) Wayne. I think you could say that the majority of collectors agree on certain names either from tradition or current combined weight of agreeing meaning consensus. Then there's thems which are completely out of this loop and are pretty much on their own.

Secondly, I believe that there are efforts afoot to bring some uniformity of understanding to the names. This involves different parties. Already you can plug into this information on various websites. It isn't perfect and I guess time will tell. Only today I heard that although Jim King was not too far away from publication the latest Jabo runs coming as fast and furious as they have will be putting that off for a while. I would imagine that he would be wanting to provide as much documentation for these Jabo runs as is humanly possible.

Of course, we always have the right to call our own marbles whatever we want. I personally reserve that right. David

Thanks for the feed back David - I think the people involved with or simply interested in Jabo are more on top of such matters than the companies of circa 1930/40. First off, I don't think these company's may have necessarily foreseen the collectibility of their marbles. Secondly, if they did and published such material, even if it was simply printed just for the time, it has thinned through the years and is scarce in it's availability.

One thing I forgot to add in my original post was if this initiative is already afoot, disregard everything I just said: I was saying to myself not to forget, not to forget, not to forget the entire time I was typing out the post and of course . . . . . I forgot):

Wayne