Parrots & Parakeets?

Steph

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This gets better and better. Thanks. David

P.S. Clarification: When m!b$ states that two of the marbles in the pic are not Parrots because they have too much white I wonder what would be the percentage of white per surface area before we would disqualify the marble as a Parrot. I guess that would be a subjective thing between the buyer and the seller. I wouldn't mind hearing some thoughts on this.

isn't it neat when we can be helpful and not be attacked? This is the kind of board I remember. Kingfisher, there are a lot of people who read here and never post anymore. They got tired of the attacks. We can disagree without getting personal. Who I am is not linked to the value of my collection or the numbers of marbles in my collection. Or the marbles I'll never have. I'm one of those people who collect all marbles, except antique handmades. Early on, Weldon and I decided they were too expensive. I love handmade contemps. I think it's the people who make them that draw me to them. Those marbles are an expression of the maker. Weldon loves Peltiers. I love Akro and Vitro and Alley. Crumb! i love all marbles. I even appreciate the ones I don't collect. And yes, I collect JABO's from the early 1990's to the present. And yes I've been involved in 4 runs of experimentals. And no, I'm not in it for the money. I've sold a few and hoarded a lot. I've never sold one of our lutz marbles. Like the children's story "They're mine all mine". that's a line from a story about chocolate. LOL!

the names of parrots and parakeets and parrotlets (possibly spelled parrotlettes) are regional. Get it! It depends on where you live and the particular collector.

This has been such a huge problem over the past 10 or so years!!

Before the Internet, collectors in different areas had their own "lingo." When books were published, it caused some problems... The author would use the terms from their area and the rest of the country has to adapt... Who can dispute what an author says?? (She says rather sarcastically...)

Now, we have the Internet and new collectors who are working REALLY hard to "Get It Right!!"

We're turning country roads into super highways... Be patient!!

There's still a few twists and turns that have to be worked out...

It's not an exact science in every case... The trick is to know where it's really important to have it right....

This gets better and better. Thanks. David

P.S. Clarification: When m!b$ states that two of the marbles in the pic are not Parrots because they have too much white I wonder what would be the percentage of white per surface area before we would disqualify the marble as a Parrot. I guess that would be a subjective thing between the buyer and the seller. I wouldn't mind hearing some thoughts on this.

To me, the amount of white showing &/or lack thereof makes no difference in definition to me, only in eye appeal and value. As long as there are four colors other than the white base, I chuck it in the Parrot pile. :cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262:

Well I have been trying to load my little parrokeet on here but alas it is not happening. My photo program keeps closing on me and the file as it stands is too large. Not even sure it is a parrokeet. But it is definatly smaller then a shooter.

WOW! THANK YOU KEN! I looked at your 5/8 inch parrots and a light bulb went on in my head. A trip to my marble cabinet, and the subsequent locating of my pastels 5/8 inch tigereye and there it was. A tigereye that swirled instead of having an eye and ribbons. A 5/8 inch parrot! I'll show it as soon as I upload the pics.

I went back and reread Ron Shepherd's post. If I read it correctly, Ron called the little ones parakeets, so the 5/8 inch is not a parrot and it's OK if we call it parrotlet or baby parrots, or small parakeets. Always remember, if they're yours, you can name them and call them what you want. (Not really) I don't think it will cause confusion if we distinguish the sizes with different names.

pastelsshooters2.jpgpastelsshooters1.jpg

And these two one inchers that I thought were pastel shooters when I bought them at the Texas show.... they are parrots. No white showing on either one, no green aventurine, and they are parrots. It's nice when a person can learn something new every day and I've learned two marble things today.

Agreed,a good thread. Parrots was a Vitro company name. I believe the other names Parakeet and Parrotlet are names used by collectors. This can depend on what part of the country you are in or how long you have been collecting. Like the name how it is pronouced,Vit row or vet row. Like Jay bow or Jaw bow. I think these two collectors names are understood to be a smaller size Parrot. Exact definations or terms are difficult with marbles. As there were so many variables in the process. Blaine Lemon used the word goal. Like the white not showing,but often times it did for different reasons. I also consider the ones with the white base showing as Parrots. But my goal,what i consider the better ones,are four colors and no white showing. For those who are WVMCC members there is a in depth article coming soon in the newsletter on this very topic. Also WVMCC memberships need renewed in May if you have not already done so. Or sign up today for the full year. Membership fees will have to go up sometime. So far they remain at the same rate as years ago when the club was formed. The WVMCC also needs articles submitted if the newsletter is to expand. It is your newsletter!

I've heard that we're ignorant for calling them parakeets and parrotlets (or parrotlettes). Sounds like a good way to distinguish size to me. I think I'll keep calling MY marbles parrots and parakeets, and maybe I'll start a new name .... baby parrots. It's easier to spell than parrotlets.

Ron was posting while I was. I edited my post above this one based on Ron's earlier post and I see by this last one, I did read it correctly. Thanks Ron. I did send my dues in, but probably delayed you knowing it. I sent the dues to Howard. See you soon.

Ignorant,it must be a part of TX that i missed. Those above could be called pastel parrot's. Some of the smaller pastels have been called easter eggs. It is all just names,trying to pinpoint a certian marble. Over time and only time,will decide which name that collectors will attach permantely to a certian marble.

I'm sure going to have a hard time calling a small marble a parrot. I think I'll be late in adopting that, if I ever do.

If the goal was 1" then how could a 5/8" marble be a contender? It takes a different machine to make a 5/8" marble, right?

I've been hesitant over the parakeet name for a long time because I'd heard it used for different things - like the tiger eyes - and I was waiting for that name to kinda settle down in my mind.

Now, thanks to this thread, I think I do understand it.

And right now I like it better than parrot for the smaller marbles. I mean, if the goal was for the parrots to be big . . . then that should get the name . . . seems like. . I only have the one parrot, but half the excitement of getting that one was measuring it and seeing that it passed muster in the size department. lol

So, that's my "for what it's worth" from a parrot novice. But it's where I'm at right now.

I think I need a dancing banana!

:cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262:

I'm sure going to have a hard time calling a small marble a parrot. I think I'll be late in adopting that, if I ever do.

If the goal was 1" then how could a 5/8" marble be a contender? It takes a different machine to make a 5/8" marble, right?

I've been hesitant over the parakeet name for a long time because I'd heard it used for different things - like the tiger eyes - and I was waiting for that name to kinda settle down in my mind.

Now, thanks to this thread, I think I do understand it.

And right now I like it better than parrot for the smaller marbles. I mean, if the goal was for the parrots to be big . . . then that should get the name . . . seems like. . I only have the one parrot, but half the excitement of getting that one was measuring it and seeing that it passed muster in the size department. lol

So, that's my "for what it's worth" from a parrot novice. But it's where I'm at right now.

I think I need a dancing banana!

cool-smileys-262.gifcool-smileys-262.gifcool-smileys-262.gif

Good Morning Gang,,,

Steph, this thread has turned out to be one of the most informative threads I've read so far... I'm glad you started it... I've gotten all my questions about the "Parakeet's" answered now, and I do notice there are more then a couple of people who have changed their opinions about it too... Far as I am concerned the "Parrots" are 3/4 to 1" diameters and the "Parakeets" will be 9/16 to 11/16" diameter... All I would like to see now is a "Parakeet" patch... Is there one posted that I missed??? "Gene"