The Marketing Of New Run Marbles

Alan its a marble disscussion board and the discussion of the price of marbles is an affront on..what again

patriotism

as a consumer I most certainly do have the right to state what I think,

thats part of manufacturing having to put up with the damn customer.

and not buying the marbles probably is the cure

are you suggesting for anyone else who may be reading and wants round marbles or just me.

David

I got some skin in the game I collect marbles and I collect these marbles

makes it MY damn bussiness

so dont presume to tell me mine..in the same breath you decry it

quote:"Whats next? Government-mandated regulations on Jabo runs?"

what say we jus start with wall street then maybe off shore drilling

work our way towards marbles

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ann?

the disposal of Cull was actually already discussed?

I did miss that, but was gone a while!

What was ur take on the overall quality of marbles being sold to collectors?

thank you in advance, david

My remark was kind of a knee-jerk reaction to what seemed like the beginning of yet another bash-Jabo-devaluing-collections-ruining-the-hobby-type thread. That's what it sounded like. And we've had quite a bit of that lately.

No, I don't remember cullet / booboos being discussed before.

I think the topic of "wastage" in the special runs is a valid one for those who buy marbles primarily for an investment, or those who are more business-oriented than others. I personally am one of the Others. My only concern is do I want a particular marble, or not? I have my own standards (pretty high) for beauty, rarity, condition, interesting-ness, and whatnot, and I spend what little money I have carefully. If you can call buying marbles "spending carefully!" And I cull my own herd, constantly. So "the overall quality of marbles being sold to collectors" is not a concern of mine, because as a collector I don't have to buy any of them.

And I have never ever been accused of being business oriented. Which is why I'm going to be spending my declining years in a cardboard box. Surrounded by marbles. And toy horses made before 1960. And cat food. Hopefully, in the Florida Keys. Although I hear Trinidad and Tobago is cheap, and south of the hurricane zone . . .

damnitman made me cry a little!

another response I'm on a tear.

lol

Okay I buy beat up big boy MFC's jus to get them out of play and in a collection,

as likely to hand you a $250 one of a kind vintage marble to keep as a $1

But how the heck yall collect marbles without investing baffles me?

it jus does, call it what you want

one costly hobby

and I really think perspective is needed and if you maybe aint as sharp as the amazing talent around here, then some navigation is helpful

thus marble disscussion board.

And Dr dont give a shit and Alan says the marbles are worth whatever ur willing to pay

marbleus1 says they have the value posted above .50 to $10 and with all things remainig the same the actuall return value can only fall

We all agree they are not an investment.

if pretty alone is worth $127 in a marble go for it.

david

Alan its a marble disscussion board and the discussion of the price of marbles is an affront on..what again

patriotism

as a consumer I most certainly do have the right to state what I think,

thats part of manufacturing having to put up with the damn customer.

and not buying the marbles probably is the cure

are you suggesting for anyone else who may be reading and wants round marbles or just me.

David

quote:"Whats next? Government-mandated regulations on Jabo runs?"

what say we jus start with wall street then maybe off shore drilling

work our way towards marbles

It comes across as somewhere between a pointless recurring lament and shouting at a tree. Do you believe that from your repetitive complaint on marble boards that you will somehow change the nature of privately-sponsored Jabo runs? I'll save you a lot of frustration and tell you that such complaining amounts to nil. Nothing. Nada. Want to complain about Jabo runs because somehow you feel gbetter when you do? Well then - have at it. I don't think you are doing your heart any favors though.

I don't know what that sentence means - so I cannot respond to it.

So clarify that sentence for me. Are you saying that by being a "collector" (a potential buyer) that you should be able to dictate some aspects of production/quality control/what is sold/pricing? If so - which and to what degree?

Perhaps you can guide the thread by stating without complaint exactly what you suggest should be done to address the issues that you perceive. I don't see what path you are suggesting.

How about the Lakers? What do you think about Ohio State football chances for next year? This crap makes my head hurt. Any folks that are concerned about quality & price of modern-made marble goods need to buy your stuff from folks that offer 100% satisfaction and who pay the freight both ways on a return if you are not happy with the transaction. Otherwise. do not buy any and better yet, why waste type talking about it. Why voice strong opinion against something that many people like. If marbles, brands of marbles,types and quality of marbles bothers anyone so much, take up fishing for a hobby and go post there about worms, lures,rods, lakes & stuff and piss somebody else off!

America is where it is at, Capitalism is great and you can be anything you can imagine and even obtain it in this Country. Some folks even get to reach thier dream and live a good life selling and producing toy marbles. Many folks do it making many folks happy without screwing them over.

How is that for Marketing Of New Run Marbles? Most of what is posted on this site is drivel and not of consequence anyway and I have just contributed myself.

By the way....I would like to go on record as saying I am only in it for the money and there is not that much to be had when you only work at it a few hours a month. So I guess I am providing some sort of service because folks continue to buy. If nobody liked what I had to offer, I would not sell any thing. Go figure!

Thank you,

Mike

Well maybe there are people who read words that matter.

maybe it aint mine but yours

maybe during what should be great marble times

it aint shaping up the way they envisioned.

maybe they will change it.

Maybe since its Capitalist in nature and interest has been built and nothing owed.

maybe it could be better.

maybe not

if not jus for those that wrestle thru the numerous threads.

Maybe there are marble makers who dont say if you dont like it dont buy my marbles.

David

quote:"Perhaps you can guide the thread by stating without complaint exactly what you suggest should be done to address the issues that you perceive. I don't see what path you are suggesting."

I did, quote marbleus1:" The marbles are as a whole Horribly overpriced.

Nothing other than Mint should be allowed to leave the factory

considering the prices garnered and Quality touted.

That is not the case its buyer beware as to condition, quality and quanity to be produced.

If that adds up to more than a .50 to $10 marble under any circumstance I dont know nutt'n bout marbles"

quote:"So clarify that sentence for me. Are you saying that by being a "collector" (a potential buyer) that you should be able to dictate some aspects of production/quality control/what is sold/pricing? If so - which and to what degree?"

Not me Jabo

its their reputation under disscussion.

it was two sentences Alan 1st -ur suggestion - dont buy 2nd my response

quote marbleus1:

"and not buying the marbles probably is the cure

are you suggesting for anyone else who may be reading and wants round marbles or just me."

By the Way Dave McCullough your dealer reps. they are a rough lot.

quote:"Perhaps you can guide the thread by stating without complaint exactly what you suggest should be done to address the issues that you perceive. I don't see what path you are suggesting."

I did quote marbleus1:" The marbles are as a whole Horribly overpriced.

Nothing other than Mint should be allowed to leave the factory

considering the prices garnered and Quality touted.

That is not the case its buyer beware as to condition, quality and quanity to be produced.

If that adds up to more than a .50 to $10 marble under any circumstance I dont know nutt'n bout marbles"

If they are (in your opinion) "horribly overpriced" - why not just not buy them. I see many vintage marble that I am certain are very, very overpriced. Still - I don't let it bother me. Its the seller's marble - and they can set whatever price they see fit. Maybe they don't really want to part with it - or at least not in a hurry to sell it. I saw some Jabos for sale at the New Philly show. Some rooms had the price too high. A few rooms would sell them for less than a dollar each if you bought 25 or more. Guess which one I bought from? (and I got to select my own from a pile). I don't consider less than a dollar each as "horribly overpriced". If I am missing something in the numbers - tell me what it is.

When you are referring to the prices being too high - are you referring to Ebay sales?

I don't grasp why you (having no financial or any other interest in the run) feel empowered to influence what they do or how they do it.

This will be my last comment on the subject and I am only doing so because of the beer talking. I suggest that anybody who is worried about the price and quality of the special run marbles and what is being sold and for how much, put the $500 ot $15,000 in the game, take the risk and see what you need to sell them for to get well when it is all said and done. Other than that, your various opinions are just what everyone says.....they are like a--h--es in that everybody has one. It is just that some of the A--H---es have other motives. Give me a break....you do not have to be a brain surgeon to figure out what motivates most people. I really doubt that Mother Theresa or the Pope is posting on this marble board to get thier agenda heard.

Marbles are not an investment.

The marbles from the private runs are not the property or responsibilty of JABO. They were all a forward sale!

The definition of mint marbles is awful. There are really two definitions:1) mint by definition and 2) mint by expectation. If you don't like the definition, change it or ask the seller questions.

If you get bad marbles from anyone, return them, renegotiate price, or send them back.

There never was nor ever will be a correlation between the stock market and the marble "market". There are requirements for stocks to be "listed". There are no such requirements for mibs.

Markets do not go up because buyers bid. they go up because sellers realize (believe) their asset is more valuable and hence raise their offering price.

Anyone who has a better idea of how to run this or any company can buy it.I'dlike to tell eBay and chat board mods a think or two...oh well...it's their ball.

No one can tell another what to do with his assets.

Price fixing is a violation of the Sherman Anti-trust Act and a felony.

There is a book that has all the data of numbbers of marbles at each run.

Value is easily explained by telling about employees and employers. As an employer, it is my job to hire the best person for the job at the least amount of money. As an employee, it is my job to get highest pay I can for my skill set. The same sort of thing is true of marbles.

There is a huge difference between market theory and marketing and the twains shall never meet.

I will tell anybody who wants to know about the runs anything I know. Just call me.

The goals of these runs were and are still simple. The first goal was to keep jobs on shore. We have done that. We have 10 jobs that haven't gone off-shore. The other goal was to try to make the prettiest marbles ever made. Some think this goal has been met. Others disagree.

Since the idea of "time sharing" the machines was mine and since I have put together fou runs and helped organize another, I do have alot od skin in the game and am happy to tell anything that is mine to tell to all who ask.

Cripes, Is it possible to start a Jabo-related squabble category? Or filter by keywords?

Who am I kidding. I love it and read them all (well most of them) Sometimes it's just soothing enough to fall asleep, other times it's entertaining like an elbow drop from the top rope, or the camel clutch. "Dick the bruiser" lol

Soooooo~ should I sell my AT&T stock &

buy Jabos?

I think I need a Webster's for reference.

So as to comprehend what I've just read.

Or could someone decipher what language David C.

is speaking. I know, I know, political jargon.

It's the " If ya can't dazzle them with brilliance

baffle them with bulls@%t.

Well i'm baffled!!

All that aside.

If we are discussing marbles or the price of

rubber bands.

In all aspects of a marketable ware.

There will ALWAYS be differences in, quality, size,

availability, & demand.

If you don't like the product, don't buy it.

Collectors are a strange breed. Well at least I am.

I prefer to be considered, a preserver of history.

If not for people like us, there would be no need

for this board. And discussions like this would not take

place.

If everyone likes the product, then expect to pay more.

Supply & demand. In all aspects of the material world

this law applies.

Sometimes I think ( which hurts my head ) we all need to

step back & ask ourselves this.

In a hundred years from now. How much will this matter?

Lets face it folks ain't none of us gittn any younger.

So, like em or leave em.

Marbles have part of my life for 23 years.

And only for the past few have I questioned.

Why I can't find anymore deals in OHIO?

Hopefully, when ya'll finish this drivel.

You will realize it's just a glass sphere that has

you all worked up.

If it's the money that you're worried about.

JOIN THE DAMN CLUB!!!!!!!!!

marblemiser

Marblemiser,

Hard to imagine that anyone could have difficulty deciphering my Posts but Marblues1's well that's another matter. I'd characterize them as dyslectic free verse.

Now if you are actually meaning me(David C. as in Chamberlain) I'm at a loss to help you beyond your own suggestion of Webster's. My vocabulary is what it is and I don't dumb it down for anyone unless I'm playing around with vernacular.

Otherwise, I have no arguments with you and what you've posted above.

David Chamberlain

I collected marbles for a long time, played um as a child. Sometime back I decided to become a marble collector instead.

Well believe it or not, accept it or not, every breath you take comes with obligation.

Yea I know drivel - YOU kiss my ass

So "being" a marble collector differs considerably from collecting. I have to know things, I have to learn things.

I have an obligation to myself, to my peers, to those few who think I know something.

When I talked about the $1200 10 lbs of New run marbles, I didnt say I overpaid, I got 400/500 marbles, hell I dont know 15/20 collectors sets, tank washes........................

See above, I'm a marble collector Ive been doing my homework, I do know the "value" of theses marbles and I've done as well with these purchases as any.

Matteroffact Ive done well enough with what has become a monstorous(to me) collection that if any $1000 or hell $2000 purchase/addition falls completly flat/no value, the collection overall can absorb it and its of no real consequence, cept to Ole marble collector confidence. So again I aint worried about the money. I dont collect for money.

Why do I care if some smoe who I dont know spends $36 on a $2 marble

We all know I could throw paragragh after paragraph

but no,

ya making my heart hurt,

not as you suspected.

and that always pisses me off.

Instead

How dare you!!!

How the hell can YOU NOT care

what the hell is wrong with you!

it does matter, everything matters

and one day when it counts

you are going to regret ur callowness

ah hell or not

No I aint done

David

act like ya dont get the point of the thread

go ahead

and if ya dont

my most sincerest

damnitman

if I cared what dyslitic free verse meant I'd probably be inclined to want to thump you a mite

since I dont, you okay

I most certainly hold you responsible for the words you type as I stand behind mine.

Carry On!!!

Steve - they most certainly Are Jabo marbles.

and of course Jabo has no responsibility

nobody does!! - not

I do - marble collector

I also unfortunatly recently allowed Wall Street to jack us for a 100 trillion or so and am currently involved in filling the Gulf of Mexico with crude Oil.

I had obligations I did not fulfill

I'd say sorry but it seems insincere!

The responsibility is two fold. First the seller has an ethical responsibility to list and describe them properly. That means if a marble is technically mint, but not mint as they would want if they were the buyer, they should not list it as mint. Secondly, the buyer should ask questions if there is any doubt snd if the doubt is not cleared up, the buyer should not buy the piece. No one can make anyone else bid. So I recommend that when in doubt, don't bid!

This morning I got an order for some marbles. It was simply. "please send me $200 worth." It was a standard order from this customer. Do you think I have a moral obligation to do well by this person? I sure do! And if I don't honor this obligation, do you think this customer will continue to do businmess with me? Of course not.

I agree with Steve that JABO has no responsibility for the quality control like cold rolls, out of round. Those marbles go straight from the cooling bins to the boxes of the owners of the marbles. JABO's responsibility is for the content of those marbles - like someone tried to suggest lead two years back. David is very conscious of that type of issue. He has the glass checked, the grounds checked, but somebody said the aventurine or lutz might be contaminated. David had that checked. No problem.

the cold rolls, annealing fractures, out of rounds - that's the owners job. Find somebody selling them that doesn't jerk you around. If I bought defective marbles I'd hold the seller responsible. As I said before, I'd demand my money back and I would never buy from that person again and I'd probably sully their name. That means I'd let it be known they were interested in selling bad marbles for good ones. We all know that. How many people are on the bad sellers list? I've got some and I remember those folks and they don't get a second chance at my money. Get real!

This is becoming another bash JABO thread. I'd be interested in ideas about David's questions that involve the persons responsible and it's notl JABO.

Well believe it or not, accept it or not, every breath you take comes with obligation . . .

I have an obligation to myself, to my peers, to those few who think I know something . . .

. . . How dare you!!!

How the hell can YOU NOT care

what the hell is wrong with you!

it does matter, everything matters

and one day when it counts

you are going to regret ur callowness . . .

. . . Steve - they most certainly Are Jabo marbles.

and of course Jabo has no responsibility

nobody does!! - not . . .

The obligation is something you take upon yourself. Not everyone chooses to do that.

And just as everything can matter, nothing can matter -- in the very largest scheme of things.

And just as the inheritor of the Alox marble machine can "borrow" the tank and personnel from Jabo, and call the marbles produced Alox marbles (which I believe she has every right to do), the various investor or patron groups can rent the tank and personnel from Jabo -- and supply their own glass and chemicals -- and call their marbles whatever they wish, and do whatever they wish with them. And Jabo can say "they're not Jabo marbles," and have it be so.

I think your concern is admirable. I just prefer to accept personal responsibility for what goes into my marble collection, and believe that ultimately each collector (newbie or oldie) has to do the same. It's your taste, your money, your collection, after all.

The responsibility is two fold. First the seller has an ethical responsibility to list and describe them properly. That means if a marble is technically mint, but not mint as they would want if they were the buyer, they should not list it as mint. Secondly, the buyer should ask questions if there is any doubt snd if the doubt is not cleared up, the buyer should not buy the piece. No one can make anyone else bid. So I recommend that when in doubt, don't bid!

This morning I got an order for some marbles. It was simply. "please send me $200 worth." It was a standard order from this customer. Do you think I have a moral obligation to do well by this person? I sure do! And if I don't honor this obligation, do you think this customer will continue to do businmess with me? Of course not.

Steve you are correct!You never met your obligation with me and I never bought from you again.I had to call you after three weeks and remind you I sent you cash and hadn't recieved my marbles.After I recieved my marbles I knew all I needed to know about Jabo marbles,I totally understand what David is saying.There seems to be no pride of workmanship,no responsibility in bussiness today.From marbles to the stockmarket to big oil it's nothing but greed and it's time for peopple to say enough is enough.You can't hide from it here on the marble page,it's everywhere.David thanks for the info,never dreamed there was that much waste,culls.

There never has been much.

So don't buy it. Or buy into it.

:deadhorse:

I disagree,maybe you don't know the feeling of a job well done.The smile of a satisfied customer.I think there is lots of room for improvment,everywhere,starting with me. :)

I disagree,maybe you don't know the feeling of a job well done.The smile of a satisfied customer.I think there is lots of room for improvment,everywhere,starting with me. :)

Nope, I know the feeling of a job well done, both when I'm the do-er and when I get a job well done from someone. I'm just saying that a job well done or pride in workmanship is not and has not been the main mission of businesses in general. There have always been individual exceptions, more prevalent in some fields than others.

As far back as Roman times (but also certainly before), it's been "caveat emptor," or "buyer beware."

and me!

I hope I have not bashed Jabo,

did bash a mite but they were mean to me! lol

It is my opinion that Jabo has responsibilities

, I dont believe my opinion makes it so.

I most certainly appreciate the participation of all and especially those with dramatically differing viewpoints who are still willing to engage even if to humor me.

I will not try to argue against the "dead horse" syndrome, stop beat'n makes sense.

but the carcuss is smelling up the place and whatever the reason its been here for years now

I was gone and it was here

try to talk about most anything, next thing ya know the smell.

I am in search of the contention

enlighten me, where the smell is coming from (lol, yea I set ya, go ahead hit it if it makes ya feel better, freebie)

theys some stuff needs working through, dont think so, okay

I do

The last big fued I was "party" to, I did not do enough to derail it, I had some small influence on some of the players. The only real regret I have ever had on this board is that I did not.

So long pointless rambling post - no regrets

Not meeting my membership obligations regretful

David

I know many/maybe most dont feel the same - ur bussiness

I'm glad I do

I dont actual know much about talk boards

but this is the best board on the net and we will make it better

Drivel Alert

more drivel ahead

I promise!! ya got my Word and it has Value

saddle the STEED

Why are personal attacks allowed here? Just asking. This is what kills a board. I know a lot of folks who have left because this is allowed.

This is one of the cases where one has to question what constitutes a personal attack. David (marbleus1) has been taking hits since page 1 for even starting this thread. He has been specifically and broadly insulted. This has turned into one of the free-for-all threads where if we banned all who could be looked at as attackers we might be banning half of our active membership.

David, I rather enjoyed sharing opinions with you. You and I have different opinions and we're both stubborn enough to stick to our own. We both have that right. I said something twice to be certain you understood what I was saying. You did. I accept that we disagree and I'm OK with that. We know where we stand and I won't say it again and I'll move forward. It's over! I won't argue with you or anybody else about it. where would that take us? I've already stated my opinion and you, yours. On the other hand, if someone else brings it up and I feel attacked or feel that you are attacked, I got your back. I hope you've got mine. It is my belief that the two of us are sane enough to move on. We won't agree on this, but we won't make it a life's mission to convince each other or everybody else that our view is correct and anything else is absolutely wrong. Are you OK with that? Edna