The Marketing Of New Run Marbles

My last post on this thread, the last "words" belong to you!

You have new machined marbles fetching some purty high prices

the condition is apparently “buyer beware”(a new division of Mint), available in large numbers.

ALL those who have spoke on the subject have attested to the differing conditions.

And yet this does not meet the standards of Topic for discussion.

Here!

Change the suppliers names from those we know, to

Vacor or

Imperial

And I bet ya do!!

To all those that participated I thank you.

Most especially to those that opposed its discussion at all. Even if considered drivel you put forth ur viewpoint. I respect it, it differs from mine but apparently represents the majority of the board.

I cant tell you I wont discuss it again, I will.

I will never again start a thread that discusses this topic.

To those that jus clicked in and were put thru it, ya clicked in so that was your choice I hope there was something of value or interest within.

Ah but to those few (that didnt)

I put myself in it.

But ya left me standing here alone

damnitman

(marble donations accepted)

edit: Almost Alone mybad

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David, I have been trying to have a conversation with you and understand your ramblings, but I guess that wasn't what you wanted.I'll keep quite next Time your speaking.Rejection Rejection Rejection.....

Yes,within 1/32".NO,Yes,it don't leave the shop if it's not quality.Diagnostically speaking what would be the cause for the high percentage of culls.I'm guessing worn rollers?What would be an acceptable reject ratio,5% or less?

I also have thought the reject ratio seemed high. Been hard to keep up with the discussion I don't want to misquote anyone. Will make a stand alone statement that my general feeling has been that incidence of out of round and dimples and cold rolls for the contract runs seems higher than I would have expected the ratio to be for most of the marble companies of say, 1930 to 1970.

I'm under the impression that Akro had a high rate of rejects when it first started because of Horace Hill's faulty machine design, but then with Early (was it?) they got better. But does anyone here know the success ratios of the various companies which were around before Jabo?

I was pondering the subject of Jabos I've seen which I might have valued at more than $20. Since it was David's question and he has signed out of the discussion I might wait until another day to post them. Some of the better flames are what I have in mind. And some with nice lutz.

im thinkin most rejection happen on the tail end of the rollers...they could calibrate them so a marble bigger or smaller would fall in a different area and the operator could flick the footballs and tops etc from the rollers....during packing they could catch out of rounds when they rolled down the packing chute...maybe they had more workers on the rollers but i cant speculate....they would be put on the floor in stalls and packed in drums...ive seen the 55 gal drums from champion and marble king...jabo stores their industrials in them...they also use huge cardboard crates thats attached to pallets for ease of movement with a forklift...and they use big steel boxes....im not thinkin there was much inspection of the product factory level but during packing where most of the out of round and oddballs were culled out....if a tank ran into problems or a machine broke they just trashed lots of em...also storage was a problem and the factories were producin hundreds of thousands of marbles a day so many went to dumps and sold as landfill....those jobber boxes were prob under much more inspection than what went on at any factory...the factories were makin...the jobbers were sellin em out of drums or big boxes...