Something To Ponder?

FWIW

At age 12, :confused-smileys-327:

My whole collection 3,000 plus disappeared. :confused-smileys-17:

I made a discovery.It was a forked stick,

2 rubber bands cut from a red rubber tire inner tube,

& the tongue cut out of my sisters white buck shoes.

Some string to hold the latter items on the forked stick.

With that contraption the marbles could be propelled hard enough &

straight enough, to kill birds, frogs,

rabbits etc. :cool-smileys-262:

I did propel them, all 3,000 of them.

The sad thing is most were in really good condition. :white-flag-25:

Cause the chipped ones flew funny. :fighting-547:

I don't think that the Akro logo Straight as the Crow flies.

Was met to be connected to a Sling Shot!!!!!!!!!! :rolleye-842:

Also I had uncles that worked at The Morton Salt Co.

Nuff said. :unsure:

marblemiser

Why should a person paying out the money to put together a collection of marbles view condition problems any different that say a collecter of china. damage is damage, many want their collection free of damage. And good thing you are not trying to sell antique china etc. a ding or chip can make a major devaluations. Sound like folks are having a hard time getting good money for damaged mibs to me.

Well wait a minute m!b$ - quite possibly some of the best examples were saved - and for that very reason - because they were so KEWL looking it would be the last marble to get into the fray - and hopefully strike a winning blow and go back in the pocket of the child admirer. So the bestest probably got beat up the leastest.

In my days on the playground if you wanted to win a good one you'd have to play a good one. Plenty of the 'good ones' got chipped in battle. Some people played the basic game, but when there were 'good ones' involved it usually involved a crowd.

I was a marble player for years. My 82 year old uncle was a Ohio marble champ. The only parents that showed the least interest in marbles had been players themselves when they were young. And not to save but to take a shot or play a game of ringer with us. They were cheap kids toys to adults. I never heard of or knew of any adult putting aside marbles because they were pretty. However we as kids often set our best marbles aside and they did not go into the ring. We would make side bets with each kid putting up one or more of his best ones with them going to the winner of the game. We all had marbles that did not go into the ring.

. . . we as kids often set our best marbles aside and they did not go into the ring. We would make side bets with each kid putting up one or more of his best ones with them going to the winner of the game. We all had marbles that did not go into the ring.

FWIW, it was the same in 1950s eastern North Carolina . . .

FWIW, it was the same in 1950s eastern North Carolina . . .

Hm, interesting. Sometimes we'd play 1 good marble for a few average ones to make it "even", but most times the marble you were playing for had to be in the game. Then once you win they get blindly tossed in the marble bag with dozens of others to rattle around and get damaged. lol

Now thats funny,i asked my husband and he played the way Galen said.

And I remember i played 1 good marble for 3-4 or sometimes when it was a very good marble (for example a hand-made) 5 marbles but they were all in the game.

winnie