Help Id Please

It is hard to tell from the photos, are the edges of the hole smooth or rough? If smooth, the hole was probably made when the bead was made. I once thought I had found a great marble til I looked closer and found the hole. Either way, yours is a very nice example.

post-2067-128439874805_thumb.jpg post-2067-128439870142_thumb.jpg post-2067-128439872953_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm probably on the right track with this one. Here is some interesting info I found on a bead site describing the way they're made that might explain some of the things I have noticed on my 'bead'..."quack" (LOL)

"...Whiteheart beads were made using a method known as "winding." With this method, beads were made individually by drawing a molten glob of glass out of the furnace and winding it around an iron rod. Glass of another color could then be added, or the bead could be decorated with a design. Coloring agents were added to the molten glass: cobalt made blue; copper produced green; tin made a milky white; and gold resulted in red (which resulted in the red whitehearts being an expensive bead, the more gold the darker the red). Wound beads from a master glassmaker were so perfect that it was hard to find a seam where the different molten glasses merged. These pieces were cut into beads of various sizes. The cut beads were placed in a large metal drum containing lime, carbonate, sand, carbon, and water. While the metal drum turned, heat was applied to the outside causing the rough-cut edges to be smoothed. After the beads were smooth, they were cleaned and then placed in a sack of fermented bran and vigorously shaken to polish them..."

Nancy

Thanks and now back to the rest of my daughter's hundreds of marbles...I have some pictured at a Picasa web page:

http://picasaweb.google.com/coyoteleader/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCO751Zr1v5mIggE&feat=directlink#