New Moderator

LouisCamp

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, but who decides who the offender(s) is/are, supposing it's not real obvious? And how will it be decided? I guess I'm sorta playing the devil's advocate here. Some potential members might be scared off unless it's all very clear, and others might stick around unless it's all very clear.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble or anything smile.gif

This is very well put...

Dave, I guess I have my first strike started, and I've got no problems with you moderating... I think you are coming on to strong... Your not the new sheriff in town, your a deputy, and a junior deputy at that... Any decisions about banning someone should be agreed upon by all mods not just you... Of course Lou being the sheriff, he rules the roost and can do as he sees fit... Just my humble opinion, so don't take offense... Once again, good luck with your new position...white-flag-25.gif

Don't jump to any conclusions, Gene.

I'm sure Dave will stop by and give some insight to his moderation style.

Lou

I gave Lou fair warning when I agreed to do this that I was a hard-ass. I am real sure we are on the same page here.

The "Hard-ass" style isn't new here... It's probably the most effective method of pulling things back together... It's had very effective results in the past.... It's also had some drastic results.

Lou & I have pulled it off before, very successfully... But, I don't think either of us has the nature to keep that mask on for too long...

Maybe Dave can pull it off better...

The thing is... For every action, there is a reaction. Anticipating the reaction is tricky...

Wise words here.....

OK, but who decides who the offender(s) is/are, supposing it's not real obvious? And how will it be decided? I guess I'm sorta playing the devil's advocate here. Some potential members might be scared off unless it's all very clear, and others might stick around unless it's all very clear.

Nothing is always what it seems. And, people don't always act as expected...

i know what its like to be a used charcoal briquette

You nailed it, Scott!!!! :D

This is a tricky situation, and a bit worrisome to me. Sometimes when there is a meltdown here, it seems to me that the entire board wants to tar and feather the wrong person. Scary stuff. Who will decide who is at fault ?

The majority ? One person ? Scary either way.

mike b.

This is a tricky situation, and a bit worrisome to me. Sometimes when there is a meltdown here, it seems to me that the entire board wants to tar and feather the wrong person. Scary stuff. Who will decide who is at fault ?

The majority ? One person ? Scary either way.

mike b.

What he said.

Hi migbar!

Oh Lou! Play nice. "CLICK" LOL.

Seriously though there is nothing in this thread that even comes close to getting a strike. Good natured fun and honest questions all the time I say.

As to who has the power on the board. Well Steph could click you, Lou could click you or I could click you. Some offences will be obvious, some we might not agree on and will have to mull over. That will be our problem to solve.

However if you want to boil it all down to who has the real power here. It would the poster. I can't control what people type to each other or about each other. Only the one doing it can. So If you are going to post something that you know is rude, insulting, demeaning or just plain mean. Then expect a strike. If you fill your trouble maker bar then it's no ones fault but the posters. And as I said before if a poster does manage to get to near the top of that bar then they have to know what they are doing is wrong. So not needed here. I think this view would be shared with most of the members here.

It's my hope that I never even have to click that little tab. I don't crave power. I have no agenda or clique. My lack of posts in the last 10 years show that I have tried really hard ( though I aint perfect) to keep my posts to marbles. Had I partaken in the drama and B.S I would have thousands of posts by now. I Like marbles. Pics of marbles, info on marbles, stories of marbles, thoughts on marbles and I come here to get it. Coming here and finding more nagging and moaning, rather than stuff on marbles sucks!

So if it needs to get a little stricter around here to weed out the members that have more intrest in causing the drama and B.S than talking about marbles. Sadly so be it. My gut however tells me that yesterdays removal of a member will alleviate about 90% of the drama around here. It's up to each and every one of us to keep it sailing smoothly. If your into the drama and B.S then at least you can't say you were not warned. Personally I see no problem posters among us right now so this should be a cakewalk.

There is a place in Marbledom to rip on each other. It's called Scott Patrick's board. I'm sure Scott will be more than happy to post a link so he can hear what anyone has to say hehe.

In the end it's a members attitude and that little trouble maker bar that bans you. Not me, not Lou or Steph regardless of what any one thinks. It's not in our hands how many times you make us click it. We can just hope everyone gets along and we never have to.

will there be times when if you disagree with a moderator gain you a click???....i posted a very rare marble recently and noone commented on it although i had emails about it and the people didnt want to comment on the board because certain people (ones that are chronic iders)hadnt said anything about it and they were sure that if they said anything they woulda opened a can of worms...fwiw theres provenance with the marble and undeniably what it was represented as....what im sayin is that 10 years ago or so when i joined this board there was no reason to have a team of moderators --people respected others and everybody had the same desire for learning...and probabably everybody knew each other...so little inuendoes were understood as inside jokes and not so thinskinness as to take offense....who moderatates the moderators????

Duffy,

I moderate the moderators. 10 years ago, no one would think of suing someone for something said on a board. Today, it's the first thing they think of. I don't want to be part of a lawsuit so that's why we need moderators. Someone to think, when the original poster isn't thinking too clearly.

Lou

I was right there with you Duffy. An eager eyed newbie with a handful of marbles. Learning in a near drama free enviorment. Sure was nice. Let's bring it back.

As for getting a strike for not agreeing a mod. Well I can't speak for Steph, but from me there would very little chance of that. I would ask that if you do feel the need to disagree with something we are doing or have done. Please Please Please do it in a PM and not in the open forum for all to see. That will most likey get you one. It's all part of the drama we are working to get rid of. If it makes you feel better to vent and cuss the hell out things, me, someone on the board, anything. I do have a PM and super thick Rhino skin. Let me know what eating you.

And again a massive source of compliant PM's was put in check yesterday. It's a whole new day today (and no complaints that I know of) I think we can all sail on smooth water for now. Doubtless there is bound to be another trouble maker out there. I think it would be nicer to be able to nip it in the bud with the new system. Rather than to let it go on for months and months and maybe loose some more members. That always sucks.

As to who mods the Mods. Hmmmm I found this neat little tab that can Ban both Steph and Lou haha. No doubt they have found the same little tab for me..........

People who are so thin-skinned that they're afraid to take the risk of another member/moderator disagreeing with them over a marble id, are wise not to post on this board or any other board. These forums are for learning, not for group-think or cliques.

I have noticed that I.D section could use way way more input from all. I for one vow to add a bit more effort to it than I have in the past.

Back in the day it was Ok not to reach an agreement on what something was. Threads that were getting heated were quickly cooled with "have to take it to a show" because we all understood there is no way to truly capture a marble in pics, if it did not want to be. Some marbles just need to be seen inhand to know what is what. Lets go back to that way of doing disputed I.D's

I have noticed that I.D section could use way way more input from all. I for one vow to add a bit more effort to it than I have in the past.

Back in the day it was Ok not to reach an agreement on what something was. Threads that were getting heated were quickly cooled with "have to take it to a show" because we all understood there is no way to truly capture a marble in pics, if it did not want to be. Some marbles just need to be seen inhand to know what is what. Lets go back to that way of doing disputed I.D's

this would be WONDERFUL! one of the main reasons i keep very quiet on this board is that it seemed many times when i'd ask for an ID or offer an ID it was almost immediately "condescended"---

certainly not that 99% of people here were (and are) VERY helpful and pleasant!!