Old Dog - New Bone

SNYD

It's funny how ones interest or views can change in time, if it's age or just getting wiser, life is always changing. For many years collecting I desired the most popular marbles, high end pelts, akros and christenson. In the past two years and more this year, I have found a new, stronger and exciting drive. I found that I am attracted to Masters, Alleys and Champions. I am not sure how I missed so many great looking and interesting marbles for so many years. This past Sistersville show I had Ron Shepherd help me identify a huge lot of marbles,after getting home and looking at them ( each one) I have found a true depth to the awsomeness of the marbles. I am glad that I have had this change of heart now, and now wish it happened years ago. I feel that I have missed out on some truly fantastic marbles. So to all the folks only looking for high end, well known marbles, stop! Take time to truly look at some fantastic marbles from other makers that are not so desired companies, you will be so surprised. My search has now given me a true understanding of emotions for the beauty that the "low end" marbles have. But "low end" is not a respectable tag for such marbles, just one I have heard so many times. I think less desired would fit better. Once you see the true marble I think you will agree that some older champions and alleys are some of the greatest works of art you will find.

Ron, thank you for helping to open my eyes and mind to see the great beauty within a marble. To all, keep your alleys and older champions under lock and key, I am on the prowl and searching high and low.

SNYD

I had to giggle a little when I read your post... Hubby has been loving those swirls for years! He has all the 'special' ones in catagories, diplayed in diffrent areas, others in are layers by colors in huge glass jars.... by the gallons! :D

Your Grrrr is bigger than mine :blush: , but I still will arm wrestle ya :lol: If anyone knows of any coligrafre (spelling ?) Alleys that would be for sale, I would be interested. I only have one, which is beat up. I would like a few mint ones for in my collection. I may have around 150 Alleys in my collection so far, so I am open to other Alleys too, I need to find some nice flames too. I am going to do a visit with Ron Shepherd, he don't know yet, to see if he can spare some nice ones for a good price. And I am ready to discuss :fighting-109: . But any help from others is welcome :cool-smileys-262: .

Ron, I 'll be stopping down to see Jim & Mary King in October sometime.........hint - hint

Hi SYND,

Ron is a great teacher and historian of the WV swirls. With the many years he's put into the research of these companies and the information he's passed along, more people have come to appreciate the beauty these really hold as well as the history behind them.

Some of us have noticed that within the past 6-12 months, there have been less listings on ebay for specific manufacturers, less listings for WV Swirls. I believe this is due to the increase in interest and the increase in appreciation. More people are studying these types as well.

A BIG Thank You to Ron, Bill and those who have traveled the roads, asked the questions, dug the ditches and gone that extra mile to bring this knowledge to all of us.

Good luck on your quest SNYD...it'll be a fantastic trip!

:-) Felicia

WOW, thats all I can say, if I could talk right now. I can't stop drooling. That is one great looking marble for sure. Thanks for giving me a look and a goal to try and reach. I am not sure how common these are, but I should come across one someday. Thanks for sharing.

SNYD