Speaking Of Flames

winnie

I wonder why I see no evidence of smokestacks etc that should be very prominent if there were the large gas fired furnaces necessary for marble production??

I don't know the specific topography of the area or what archives would show, but I know of a bunch of smokestacks that used to be around, at factories, that aren't there any more. Same with the factories. I don't mean in Europe, I'm just talking generally. Back in the old days there were a lot of factories that burned down and chimneys that eventually had to be demolished since they became a safety hazard. Interesting marble topic/discussion

Yes,i believe it was in Diemen the clay-factory,the picture added with the article showed some children with a lot of clay's

Indeed one can find here a lot of wirepulls,but so you can in Germany.

I found the picture of the glass factory in the towns archieve,it was made in 1980,so the factory was closed for 10 years.

You can see the name of the factory is still on the front of the left building.

The second picture is how it looks now,almost everything is rebuilded and renovated.I can see the Realencanal out of the window of my appartement.

winnie

veiliggl001.jpg

DSC03321Small.jpg

I know for sure that L.E. Alley was made a offer to bring his family and go to European countries to build marble machines and make marbles,expenses paid. He declined the offer,but he did send full detailed blueprints for his design marble machines. He also sent recipes for glass marbles. But not to Germany. I would have to check again but i think it was Beligum and could have been Holland. I don't remember any mention of Germany or France. Also a big majority of these WV swirl companies exported large numbers of marbles to Europe.

There has been a lot of machine made marble history surface here in the USA,the last ten years. It was discovered that some of the earlier beliefs,articles and guesses were not accurate. I have no doubt that there were machine made marbles produced in or around Europe. Sometime around the 1930,s maybe up through the 1950,s or 60,s. My hope is that someday,someone will make the effort to do the research and get some details and proven facts of this. It will not be easy or fast,but i have to believe that it is there. It was here,and had been all along,in many different forms. One lead goes to another,but someone has to follow these leads. Some are true and some are not. The information will not search for you. You can wait for someone else to do the work. But,that could be a long time or never. Hopefully someone in the future will get actual details and ture history,of the Euopean old machine made marble producers and their marbles. You have a start,don't give up the search.

This is one of the reasons why I doubt, if there was a marblemachine in Amsterdam.

I've bought these original bags with wirepulls in Holland. They belonged to an old toyshop. When the last owner died, the children cleaned up the store and house and sold the whole building. So the store is gone, this was many years ago. The woman who sold me this bags, told me she bought the original box with only bags of these marbles in it. She gave a lot of them to her (grand)children and sold some. I was so lucky that se kept a few and the box. There are no labels on the bags as you can see, but on the box there was only one label, as showed here. DB means, so far as I know, "Deutsche Bahn", so much as "German Railroad", so it is an transport label of the German Railroadcompagnie. Why should a toystore in Amsterdam buy Wirepulls in Germany, while almost the same marbles were made in Amsterdam?

P1020400.jpg

P1020396.jpg

P1020394.jpg

P1020402.jpg

Interesting,these sort of wirepulls look German for sure.

The bags look plastic,I don't think that they use plastic in the 50's for the bags.Maybe these are made later?

Cees do you know that I've found a time ago a German patent for a marble machine?

I've posted it a few years back at LOM,if you have not seen it,I'll look for it in my files.

Ron thanks for your kind words.

It will not be easy to do research here.

In your part of the world are since 30 years thousands of people who are interested in machien-mades.

Here I'm as far as I know except for Cees the only one I visit many collecters fairs,when I start to talk about machiene-mades they look at me as if I'm loony,

and maybe they're rightLOL.

Well I'll do the best I can.

winnie

Interesting,these sort of wirepulls look German for sure.

The bags look plastic,I don't think that they use plastic in the 50's for the bags.Maybe these are made later?

Cees do you know that I've found a time ago a German patent for a marble machine?

I've posted it a few years back at LOM,if you have not seen it,I'll look for it in my files.

Ron thanks for your kind words.

It will not be easy to do research here.

In your part of the world are since 30 years thousands of people who are interested in machien-mades.

Here I'm as far as I know except for Cees the only one I visit many collecters fairs,when I start to talk about machiene-mades they look at me as if I'm loony,

and maybe they're rightLOL.

Well I'll do the best I can.

winnie

I don't know the real age of this marbles, might also been in the 60's. I have also some original bag's with clay's from Germany, these bags are from the 50's and also made of kind of plastic? At least it looks like plastic, but the condition of these bags is much better than those with the clays in it, so you could be right.

Yes I saw that topic, very interesting indeed. Also in Germany there must be (much) more to find than there is already done.

Cees

Edited by cvdv

I don't know exactly when they started to use plastic mesh bags,to me the marbles look older than the bags...?

I know we bought our marbles in the 50s in colored mesh bags,they were not made of plastic.

Could they be packed over?

The marbles could be from the early 60's,did they use plastic mesh bags then?

winnie

I don't know exactly when they started to use plastic mesh bags,to me the marbles look older than the bags...?

I know we bought our marbles in the 50s in colored mesh bags,they were not made of plastic.

Could they be packed over?

The marbles could be from the early 60's,did they use plastic mesh bags then?

winnie

I don't know if they are repacked, could be, but why should they do that?

Cees

Don't know,there can be several reasons,for example someone can have a bunch of marbles (leftovers) and want to sell them,they must be packeged.

Not saying this is what happens but the marbles look from the 60's to me and the bags are older,or do you think these wirepulls are from the 70's?

The marble factory,if he has exist,was operating from 1949 till 1960.

winnie

must be, the bags are younger.

Don't know,there can be several reasons,for example someone can have a bunch of marbles (leftovers) and want to sell them,they must be packeged.

Not saying this is what happens but the marbles look from the 60's to me and the bags are older,or do you think these wirepulls are from the 70's?

The marble factory,if he has exist,was operating from 1949 till 1960.

winnie

No I don't think that these wirepulls were made during the 70's.

He told me that the marblefactory began in 1950, till 1962 but that's very close to youre information.

Cees

Cees,I've found here a lot of this sort wirepulls.

I believe they're from the early 60s.

If that marble factory has exist,they possible could have been made there.

Maybe some one has had them in stock and want to sell them in the 70's.

It's a quess.

winnie