Peltier Submarines

m!b$

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok I found a pic. A pretty crappy one from when a Sony Macava was a good camera. Is this the one?

Yes, that's it. When I shine a maglite through it, I can see light but can't actually see through the marble, so I call it translucent, not transparent, although there is a BIT of transparency. The middle is ESSENTIALLY opaque, or maybe it's just too dense to show much light through it, but there is a little light that does show even there. I certainly wouldn't call this a transparent marble. Maybe later, I'll try to get backlit pictures of it.

I think I may have a Submarine! And the pattern forms a perfect corkscrew. It's the Superboy in the upper left of the first picture. Here's what it looks like backlit. This one might be called transparent, though parts of it look more translucent.

Opinions, please, thanks.

What about these two. They are not NLR types, so if that is a prerequisite they are out. post-2848-12963104766_thumb.jpgpost-2848-129631049039_thumb.jpgpost-2848-129631050913_thumb.jpg They are even full of bubbles when backlit (only adding to the appropriatness of the name IMO.) If they don't qualify perhaps the name needs to be expanded. BTW if anyone could supply the qualifications for what makes a submarine for this thread it would be extremely helpful for those of us who weren't around when these names were hashed out or came into widespread use. (I got the opaque looking transparant part.) Do they have to be from a certian time period/NLRs? Does it matter what the surface colors are? so forth...

I think I may have a Submarine! And the pattern forms a perfect corkscrew. It's the Superboy in the upper left of the first picture. Here's what it looks like backlit. This one might be called transparent, though parts of it look more translucent.

Opinions, please, thanks.

m!b$,

Top left?

That's the one I thought you were asking about

in your first post>

I thought that it looked like a Sub. but

with only one view it was hard to tell.

IMHO

That is a Sub.

FWIW

marblemiser

Thank you! No, I was initially asking about top right, but actually I'm wondering about all of them except bottom right, which is completely opaque. The others are all at least somewhat translucent/transparent, and top left is the most transparent.

From what I remember about he top right one it had a transparent blue base (hence being able to see bubbles), with ribbons of some colour under the surface that are opaque and look light blue. With red just on the surface. So my question is, is the base considered to be transparent on that mib? There is not a ton of it sure, but it looks like it makes up the base at least? Yes? No? My memory sucks sometimes and you have it inhand. I trust inhand over my memory anyday.

The best I can tell you is that the top right one has a translucent base that allows some light to pass through it, but is only minimally transparent. The center is denser or less translucent, and I don't see any color dipping into the marble...

The top left marble is much more transparent, but it also has some areas of translucency, and is denser in the center, and I don't see any color dipping into the marble.

Maybe I'll try to get better backlit pictures later.

Hmmm maybe I am remembering wrong? I was thinking of the one bubble that can be seen in the top two pics of the set I posted. The one that is under the red ribbon. Is the glass that bubble is in transparent? If so would that not be the base? I also remember being able to see under most of the red ribbons where there was space before the deeper set light blue?

Yes and yes. The bubble glass looks transparent, and there is transparent or translucent just under some of the red ribbons. That's what I meant about the perimeter of the marble being more translucent/transparent than the center. But this marble isn't transparent in the sense that you can actually see through most of it.

Different people do seem to use transparent and translucent in different ways.

Marbles which look "almost transparent" when backlit but where the base isn't actually clear enough to see into are "translucent" to me. But I think some are calling 'em transparent.

I don't object ... I just keep it in mind .....

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here are the best backlit pictures I could take. The first marble is a Spiderman with aventurine, shown in the second photo, four views of it. The other three backlit marbles are shown in the third photo in this order: (top right) Spiderman, (top left) Superboy, (bottom left) Spiderman.

My opinion is that all four are Submarines. Other opinions welcome!

So a Submarine was named only for one particular color combo with an opaque-looking transparent/translucent base, and not for a particular type? Seems like the name "Submarine" refers more to the type of base than to the colors.

• 8 years later...

I believe the determining factor is if the base glass  glows when backlit. These are NLR era mArbles , color combos can vary . Here’s  another with a green base and red ribbons sometimes called a Translucent Dragon. 

F0AB58A7-2C7D-4375-B32C-F2D3CFD3DA20.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...