New Peltier Marble Mock Plumb

marboman

I have found a red based rainbow that has a fairly common surface combination,Grey and Red.I call it a Mock plumb for these reasons.The surface colors are Grey And red.The grey is the shade of the bark on a Mock Plumb tree.The red ribbons are the same shade as the Mock Plumb leaves in the fall,deep earthy red.And when held up to the sun the opalescent red base is as red as a sun ripened plumb.Indoors the marble appears totally opaque.Just under 11/16".Been told this marble has no name so I propose the name"mock plumb"It's a pelt.Would any one like to discuss? I think it's important to have discussion

post-1768-129563953613_thumb.jpg

post-1768-129563955398_thumb.jpg

post-1768-129563958603_thumb.jpg

I've heard of red-based Peltiers before. Ruby Slippers come to mind.

However, one thing I've never heard of before is Peltier taking a transparent based marble and completely covering the surface with other colors in the way Vitro is known to have done.

I'm not seeing a red transparent base Pelt in this thread.

Take a look at my avatar,it's the same marble,it's red,at the very least plumb not merely opalescent.But I will take some backlite pictures tonite.Fire 81 your correct,the base color would be better discribed as a transluscent red opalecsent base,thank you.If not backlit the entire marble appears opaque.

These are variants of the gray base rainbows. left to right, the first three are opaque the fourth one will show light through it when backlight. it does glow pinkish red but I think it is picking up color from the red ribbons. either way it is a cool looking marble and a little uncommon.

034.jpg

I love em,what size?do any of them flouresce?Here is the backlit picture I promised,you can see it's more than opalescent,it's red opalescent.The area photographed is in the grey area between the red ribbons.Ann thank you for clarifying my usage of the plum word.Being a builder I always think plumb and I think "Mock Plum" looks better for a proper name.

post-1768-129565521268_thumb.jpg

first off i wanna say hi to Fire81, been a long time friend, hows colorado treating you,, good to see you back if even for a post.

i see a translucent based with red bands, not common but not rare rare,, here is a red based rainbo that is a freaken nightmare to photo,, yours is an awesome pelt though,,,bj

post-127-129571537274_thumb.jpg

OOOOOOOHH...........YEA:)Those are amazing! I'm thinking these red raibow's are pretty rare.But for each example shown how many would have been made in a normal run?I'm looking for more all the time.This one got mixed reveiws in the ID section but me'thinks Pelt rainbow? Bigjohn I agree these red marbles are hard to photograph.gdp1 are those ruby slippers you posted?

post-1768-129581837754_thumb.jpg

post-1768-129581839122_thumb.jpg

One of the descriptions of what makes a glass opalescent is that when backlighted it shows as an orange color. This glass is usually a whitish to a whitish with a blue tint to a light blue.There are tons of variations Bo's marble may be a nice greyish opalescent glass. Probablyly Though, the red ribbons reach to the center of the marble imparting the red glow(very common on rainbos). Not a red base IMO. And being a charter member of NHA I will let you all play the name game. Peace,Galen

IAnn thank you for clarifying my usage of the plum word.Being a builder I always think plumb and I think "Mock Plum" looks better for a proper name.

LOL. I know what you mean. My father was an LP gas man and general carpenter, and my mother was a schoolteacher and a gardener. I learned "plumb" from Daddy and "Plum" from Mama, and had no leeway at all!