Let's See Some Marble Pics

greg11

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

029-1.jpg040-1.jpg012-1.jpgWow! that last pic got away from me.It's really big,still learning.Marblemiser the box of pee wee slags are soooo beautiful,I never get tired of slags.The row of yellow my favorite.Thanks for the pics everyone.:)

Thanks for the compliment.

The marbles are all original just as they came from the factory.

An instant heirloom!

thanks again

marblemiser

088-2.jpg

In my mail box.

Thanks I'll take that as a compliment,but haven't had it out of my pocket much,yet.I'd like to find another,maybe red! Found these crazy marbles today they all have aventurine to varying degrees.

unsure.gif

6356037.JPG

germans.jpg

8333253.JPG

4481058.JPG

3562528.JPG

wub.gif My God!!!! Everyone's marble's are out of this world!!! I feel a little intimidated with my little marble collection!!!blush.gif They are absolutly Beautiful everyone!!!! Hi I did'nt get your name to this post before I went in sorry. What a wonderful collection you have! Sorry this is going to be a kind of long post you all.

3'rd pic down, 2'nd row down smack dab in the middle, a Christensen swirl right? I have a marble something like that, that I have been trying and trying to research. You have another marble in pic 5 down. the marble on the top right 3 or 4 over 3'rd row down. It's a blueish grey w/yellow swirls w/a thin grey line seperating the colors. Can you tell me what it is I have been searching and searching on information on a marble that looks just like that can I send a picture and you tell me if they are the same marble and what it is? I woul appreciate it very much.

I also wanted to tell you that I fell in love with the marble 4'th picture down from the left 3'rd one up from the bottom black orange and creamy white! It's really different and unique!

Thank you, all of you for sharing all of your photo's

This is really fun!! What a great site!

post-3009-130429949373_thumb.jpgpost-3009-13042995807_thumb.jpg

Sharon

Those flower ones with single outer bands and the cross band ones with leaf pattern are more interesting and beautiful than any I have seen in real life or a pic. Are they yours? Can you say more about their origin please?

Those flower ones with single outer bands and the cross band ones with leaf pattern are more interesting and beautiful than any I have seen in real life or a pic. Are they yours? Can you say more about their origin please?

I asked Steph to post these pics for me, since, as you say, they are not seen much in real life nor in pics.

They are all antique German chinas.

Color was painted/drawn on the surface of a pre-fired ceramic marble and then the marble re-fired to form a permanent (i.e. gently washable, not faded by sunlight) design. Some designs are painted onto a pre-glazed marble e.g. the elaborate flowers and checker-board marbles; the designs on most the marbles pictured are on an unglazed surface and left as such, and other marbles have been reglazed and refired, so that the design in under the glaze (e.g.the King's roses).

Although chinas with designs on a glazed surface are generally from the 'late' period, some, such as the marbles pictured here and the 'scenic chinas' are probably some of the oldest and rarest chinas known.

As far as having a documented origin, these marbles were found in an old porcelain factory in Effelder-Rauenstein, less than 10 miles from Lauscha, as the crow flies.

Google maps: Effelder-Rauenstein

post-358-130480820862_thumb.jpg

post-358-130480823547_thumb.jpg

post-358-130480837146_thumb.jpg

I picked that last pic just because ... and then I saw that the yellow dot on that top one of the group of three was special. This pic has a closer up view of the yellow dot.

gallery_279_224_27019.jpg

As far as origin goes, here is the only antique German marble I've seen, where the probable maker is known.

This marble (1 13/16" or 46 mm) was recently bought from a 60 year old, who said her grandfather, Fritz Greiner-Perth, made the marble in Kühnertshütte, Lauscha.

post-358-130481376508_thumb.jpg

post-358-130481377743_thumb.jpg

post-358-13048137935_thumb.jpg