Flame Off

alleyflames.jpg

More Alley flames to ponder. The one in the center looks like some Champion flames I have, but the red in the Champions is not a fine line. All of these marbles look black and white without magnificaiton and bright light.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 nice Alley marbles.

A friend put an addition on his house last winter and marbles like both of these were dug up in his yard. He lives in Pennsboro.

In Six, Metzler,and Johnson,they tell a story of a woman who worked for Alley Agate. On cold days, she took pockets full of marbles to keep her hands warm. She then threw the marbles out on her lawn. This house is where these mibs were found.

I've seen #2 in as full lines of 10 in Christensen Agate boxes. There's no question in my mind that the marble is Christensen Agate.

Regarding #3, I've seen similar marbles as lines of 10 in Christensen Agate boxes. If this particular one is not a Christensen, there is a Christensen that is almost identical to this one. The only thing that keeps me from saying it's a CAC is the slight translucence in the white (you can see some of the red under it). It's hard to say from an image, you'd really need to look at it in hand.

#4 is definitely not Christensen. They never used these colors.

Bob

Hi ausman. 626849.gif Welcome.

Those two marbles actually look fairly different to me. The shade and opacity of the red, the opacity of the white.

But I wouldn't want to have to ID Alan's marble either. It doesn't look CAC to me. :unsure:

Hi ausman. 626849.gif Welcome.

Those two marbles actually look fairly different to me. The shade and opacity of the red, the opacity of the white.

But I wouldn't want to have to ID Alan's marble either. It doesn't look CAC to me. :unsure:

I agree with you. But where my experience is limited; I defer to Alan's expertise.

In a freeforall I would go straight for #2... It is the best, does it's name matter?

Well said.

Which would be worth more? A CAC which looks like an Alley or an Alley which looks like a CAC. :ph34r: :blink::wacko: