Authentic (I.e. Playing) Marbles Are Still Being Hand Made.

Come on over! I'm flying to Nashville and then being picked up. I'm going to have a very nice tour from the player side of it. I'm certain with what I learned last year and what I can learn this year that I can write a much better Newsletter article. The folks that play are fine people, very welcoming to strangers. they were very good to me, telling me things I needed to know about the games and the players. It was a great experience and i think this year will be even better.

makingaflintmarble.jpgThey're special because these guys make their own. They've been playing with these marbles for years. They don't like glass marbles. They make jokes about what they can do to a glass marble with one of theirs. They are sserious players. I watched 75 years old drop down on hands and knees, take their shots, and jump up as nimble as an 8 year old. Buck Brown told me they can do that because they never stopped playing. There is pride in the marbles because they make their own. I'm told that they give their marbles away to other players. These are folks that when kids could not afford the glass marbles. They're inventive, making marble machines out of old car parts. Malcom showed me how they did it without electricity. Here's a photo. This is the marble making machine that Malcom Strong made. It runs on electricity.

grindingamarblenoelectricity.jpg

Malcom asked me if i would like to see how they made round marbles before electricity. I wanted to know. He walked me down to the stream running below his house. In that stream, malcom had a pump that worked on "water power". It was attached to some hoses that ran up to his house. The pump supplied water power from the stream. This rock is a grinding stone. The marble is place in a depression reminiscent of a wooden or graphite block used to make glass marbles round. He turned the water on at the faucet and a stream came out and began spinning the flint rock in that depression. Malcom says they don't use that anymore because it takes too long.

My contemporary marbles are special to me because I know the artist who made them. Some of that artist is in each marble made. I feel the same way about these stone marbles. Most of them are made of flint, which is very hard. They are meaningful to me because I understand how they were made, who made them, and they are a part of the folk art of the Kentucky/Tennessee region.

buckbrown2Crunyan2Cmalcom.jpg

This pic is in the building at Standing Stone where the game Tennessee Square is played. That's Cathy Runyan walking, Malcom Strong seated, Buck Brown standing. I can't see the person shooting well enough to ID.It may be Russell Collins.

makingflintmarble2.jpgYou can see the flint rock being ground by the grinding wheel. Here is another photo of the same machine.

The wheel you see is rubber. It spins and spins the rock in a stone jig which is inside the tube. The jig you don't see is what is rounding the stone.

Malcom asked me if i would like to see how they made round marbles before electricity. I wanted to know. He walked me down to the stream running below his house. In that stream, malcom had a pump that worked on "water power". It was attached to some hoses that ran up to his house. The pump supplied water power from the stream. This rock is a grinding stone. The marble is place in a depression reminiscent of a wooden or graphite block used to make glass marbles round. He turned the water on at the faucet and a stream came out and began spinning the flint rock in that depression. Malcom says they don't use that anymore because it takes too long.

Paul Moore invited me to play "big Marbles" at Malcolm's. I asked if I could bring Edna and was told it was OK. So I brought her to Malcolm's.

Malcolm showed me a pump on his bench and asked if I knew what is was. I told him it was not electric and was some sort of a vacuum pump. He told me it was a water pump and took a group of us to see this pumps twin in action. The pump pumps the water 200 yards to the mill stone. pcinsurancecheque145.jpg

astone27sthrow.jpg

I bought this book and I met Rondell Biggerstaff who is on the cover at Standing Stone Park. I did not meet the author. I think you can buy this book at the U.S. Marble Champions website and the money benefits the kids by helping to pay for their trip to the National Marble Championship. Web site is: http://usmarbles.org/ Darren Shell donated books to them for a fundraiser for the kids. Click on Marble Books to find it. Cost is $10.00 plus shipping.

This post has edited and corrected.Thank you.

I only saw Rondell at the Dome where I played with him. I did not see him at Rolley Hole or at the other marble yards during the week. here is a picture of Rondell watching me shoot.pcinsurancecheque053.jpg

It was traditionly done by putting the stone in a jig under a waterfall. It took about "3 moons " (about 3 months) to make one. If you were lucky, the rains /flooding didn't come and wash the stone and the jig away.

What a great marble making process.The water makes the concave fixture, then set in the square tube and the rubber wheel rolls the marble in it.Those guys are some Jedi marble makers for sure! I am totally impressed:)

Another post ruined by more passive agressive petty Bull****. This is a formal warning that this sort of childish crap will not be tolerated. Period. I think it is common knowledge that I have no problem removing members that are making this board into thier own little bickering waterhole. I have no plans on changing my ways. To continue to play here I suggest that offending members must do so. Marble on.

Sorry to Hansel and Edna for thier attempt to have a nice post ruined.

Another post ruined by more passive agressive petty Bull****. This is a formal warning that this sort of childish crap will not be tolerated. Period. I think it is common knowledge that I have no problem removing members that are making this board into thier own little bickering waterhole. I have no plans on changing my ways. To continue to play here I suggest that offending members must do so. Marble on.

Sorry to Hansel and Edna for thier attempt to have a nice post ruined.

I think that the goal of this and all boards is to learn the facts-the truth. I have noticed many posts in this thread have been edited once the facts were presented. Every post on this board is part of marble history. I think, therefore, that it is better to have the truth rather than fiction. Facts are not childish.

pcinsurancecheque296-1.jpg

I tend to like the truth in posts, not that anyone isn't trying to be truthful, that isn't my point. My point is that if there is fact that is known by someone, whomever it is, that the truth of the facts be brought forth so we ALL can LEARN from the facts and truth. If I misspeak and someone corrects me, I do not see it as childish nor do I see it ruining my thread I start. Posting the facts isn't passive nor aggressive, I believe, from where I sit as a learner - posting the facts is educational.

I do think there is a correct, positive way to make the facts known though. My dad taught me that you can catch more flies with sugar rather than using salt...lol.

I hope everybody takes a break, sits where they can be in there happy place and thinks about the hobby of collecting and documenting marbles.

I have enjoyed all the wonderful pictures and look forward to seeing more.

Anyway, that is my thoughts on the subject before Intake an 8 week vacation where I will be keeping my eye out for those glorious marbles of old.

Rich

Paul Moore invited me to play "big Marbles" at Malcolm's. I asked if I could bring Edna and was told it was OK. So I brought her to Malcolm's.

Malcolm showed me a pump on his bench and asked if I knew what is was. I told him it was not electric and was some sort of a vacuum pump. He told me it was a water pump and took a group of us to see this pumps twin in action. The pump pumps the water 200 yards to the mill stone. pcinsurancecheque145.jpg

Sounds as if you're describing a hydraulic ram pump.

They say necessity is the mother of invention.

If there had been electricity, I bet even 'prehistoric' humans would have been playing video games instead of marbles.