Very Rare Peltier Confetti

I didn't tell the story so that I could sell the marble for a high price. I was given the marble by Keith and I in turn gave it to someone who had befriended me and whom I have never met. I hope that the marble is returned to her.

And to close out this posting I would also recommend that the conspiracy theorists put their theories where the sun don't shine. End of post. Art

I didn't tell the story so that I could sell the marble for a high price. I was given the marble by Keith and I in turn gave it to someone who had befriended me and whom I have never met.

And I in turn would like to thank -- publicly, this time -- Art for so generously passing its custodianship to me, knowing I had an abiding interest in odd Pelts, and was an old museum person.

I would like to emphasize that it is not for sale, and never will be. When I'm on my last leg, I'll give it to some other appropriate person.

Chuck, I've told Steve that he can send it to you to look at before it comes back to me --

Art, I don't think there was any kind of conspiracy, and I don't agree with that comment by Galen

in this instance. I meant no disrespect.

I simply believe that Keith may have been mistaken about where he got those two marbles, and that he may have gotten them later.

They may have even been made at Peltier, but I'm not convinced that Sellers was involved. Keith was born in 1935. He was five in 1940.

It must have been the mid 40's when he remembers his dad or step-dad bringing home handfulls of comics, and yet, supposedly,

according to the records, at the end of 1937, all of the remaining comics in bins were "junked."

Yes, it is possible that they were only put in a barrel in storage somewhere, but something doesn't sound right.

Maybe they were made in the "marine crystals" period. I don't know, but I should be allowed my opinion.

mike

Who could forget those ? They are beautiful with an extraordinary and complicated pattern that would be most difficult to make today.

I believe in those much easier than this confetti marble.

Art, since you first posted, I thought your story was completely true, and impeccably so.

It is Keith's story that I was suspicious of. Peltier certainly made a transparent red like that.

The dark spots in the light green look like a newer glass, but who knows ? Anything is possible.

I do apologise if you thought I was disparaging anything that you said.

Hi Ann, i want to personally thank you for your offer of sending it to me and letting me have a very good look at it. After i pick up my new micro scope i will have a close look at it and compare it to a pelt marble a friend of mine has that has a similiar base. I am going to stay sumwhat neutral on this till later and then give everyone my opinion. I feel anything is possible at the marble factories from the plant workers, the experimenters, and the special marbles made after hours for their kids at home. Everyone should keep an open mind and look outside the box every now and then and THEN seek and find proof if that is possible. If you think back to even the handmades starting with clouds which is internal to the marble and follow that type all they way down to the modern made ones (with the exception of akro) and MAYBE pelt that all of the makers played with confetti or flecking or frit to make their own style of the speckeled marbles. Even our world of contemporary makers have some of the most exciting colorful confetti marbles ever seen today as they EXPERIMENTED with their glass. Open discussing minds will find resolutions sooner or later. Proof and documentation is the ultimate goal and then we can take the ball all the way to the goal post for a touchdown. This is how i feel and my opinion!! Chuck G--

Hi Chuck -- It will be coming with a second marble, with the same clear red base, that came from the Pelt box Art spoke of earlier (I also have a color photo of the Peltier shipping box that Art sent me -- it does look like a 1940s box).

Also check them under black light. Both of mine have partial, faint orange luminescence on their surfaces, which reveals what looks like typical Pelt seams / cut marks / whatever you want to call them . . .

Can't wait until you get the microscope! How kool is that . . .

And I was not accusing anyone of anything. Just giving my opinion on the info I had to that point in time. Glad some more info got posted. And I would never say never when it comes to machinemades. And any story can be made up! And Steve. My comment was made in the hopes of gaining more information on the marble. It appears to have worked. Your accusations are childish.

Are there any cutlines that we could see? Also, what is the size of the marble? It is hard to believe this marble would come out of a Peltier machine, but what do I know what could be done. They do amazing stuff at Jabo, although the machines are not same to compare. Every Peltier I saw up to date has cutlines and ribbons, except early Millers and some unusual swirls.

Sami

no seams...3/4 ish...this would not have had a seam since the frit appears to be added to a clearie.

Clearies can have seams.

Ann pointed out one way to detect them:

Also check them under black light. Both of mine have partial, faint orange luminescence on their surfaces, which reveals what looks like typical Pelt seams / cut marks / whatever you want to call them . . .

I thought she made an interesting observation. If the clearie has long pelt-like cut lines it would make it seem less likely to be a modern Chinese marble, for example.

Hi Ann, i want to personally thank you for your offer of sending it to me and letting me have a very good look at it. After i pick up my new micro scope i will have a close look at it and compare it to a pelt marble a friend of mine has that has a similiar base. I am going to stay sumwhat neutral on this till later and then give everyone my opinion. I feel anything is possible at the marble factories from the plant workers, the experimenters, and the special marbles made after hours for their kids at home. Everyone should keep an open mind and look outside the box every now and then and THEN seek and find proof if that is possible. If you think back to even the handmades starting with clouds which is internal to the marble and follow that type all they way down to the modern made ones (with the exception of akro) and MAYBE pelt that all of the makers played with confetti or flecking or frit to make their own style of the speckeled marbles. Even our world of contemporary makers have some of the most exciting colorful confetti marbles ever seen today as they EXPERIMENTED with their glass. Open discussing minds will find resolutions sooner or later. Proof and documentation is the ultimate goal and then we can take the ball all the way to the goal post for a touchdown. This is how i feel and my opinion!! Chuck G--

Amen Chucky!

Clearies can have seams.

Ann pointed out one way to detect them:

I thought she made an interesting observation. If the clearie has long pelt-like cut lines it would make it seem less likely to be a modern Chinese marble, for example.

Every marble can show to four "optical"/ visible seams. They are all there on every marble. They are where the glass begins, where it ends and two possible "cutter" seams. Often the beginning and end of the glass "seams" can be seen in the marble. Sometimes one can be seen sometimes both, and sometimes it is hard to figure out. The "cutter" seams" are sometimes visible and sometimes not. In the case of this Pelt "confetti", I see no visible seams.

I agree with Ann, but have not put the black light to it to see what she saw. Her eyes, as a collector and as an art historian are very accurate.

So, yes there are seams, but they are not visible to my eyes and I cannot feel them with my fingernail.

Nope, the seams are not visible to the naked eye (and, of course, cannot be felt). I've only looked at both of these mibs with a 10 power loup (lost my good one), and they're not discernable in the glass at that slight magnification, either. I'll be interested to see whether they can be seen in the glass under Chuck's microscope . . .

They only became visible when I hit both mibs with the black light, and then only in the slight orange florescent "skin" that covers part of each marble.