Examples Of Exotics?

Steph

Lots of names surrounding these marbles at ground zero. Estepp, Tow, Humphry, Hall and Chateau (sic) are mentioned. Rick stated that this was the story he was told:

During a water line dig at the Guernsey County Garage they let locals dig around in the excavated dirt. Under a board was a cache of these beauties. Mike and Dave Art met with these "finders" (one brother was first to buy but need more moola and brought in the brother) and bought them. They sold the least valued first and worked there way up. Rick spent over a year trying to get in the loop after seeing and analyzing these mibs. He believed them to be real and finally got a chance to buy. The first groups (before Rick) sold very cheap, around $40-$50 a mib. When he got in, the price had jumped to $400-$1500. Rick also stated that he hopes to get back with the Art's to buy more. It seems I was the last to know the Art's name but had never seen it posted.

I called the Guernsey County Garage this morning. I talked with a lady there that has been employed for 27 years. She was very pleasant and knew all about CAC, the value and names of these marbles. I told her the above story and she said "bull"! She claims that ALL of the workers there would be digging including herself and that her supervisor took off work just to sift through the dirt during the waterline dig. If they break any ground, the eyes are there. Also, she wasn't sure if they had 3 shifts (around the clock )of security or the around the clock camera system during the waterline dig and garage rebuild. BEFORE these projects, they would let people dig but ended do to slobs leaving the place in a mess plus, the finding of two legs sticking out of the ground and the other end digging under one of the buildings. That was the end of there kindness. She went as far to say, after it rains they look for shining sparkles in the yard and check it out. She believes that if such a find was made...it would have hit the news papers....people talk.

Please give Rick a call....he answered every question and told me things that I won't post. You know....the politics and slime of this great hobby........or run and hide! mon

Let me clarify that even this employee commented that they catch people digging there on occasions. Her thoughts of a cache being found during the waterline and garage projects are unlikely.

What year did these exotics first show up? She couldn't recall the exact year for these projects but thought it was the late 90's. mon

Not trying to be vague but I think July or August of 2002 is when I wrote my first check to the Arts. No one has mentioned the 1st seller in Ohio which Was a very nice lady by the name of Thelma My last check to her was in March of 2002. Her selling was even shorter lived than the Arts was. BTW, all of the above sellers treated me quite fairly. Nothing clandestine at all except I think they liked dealing with just a few buyers with good credit. Yes, their prices increased as their supply decresed. Nothing new there. If they decide to part with any more beauties, I hope I am the 1st one they contact. I spent quite a bit of money with them and wish I had spent more. I consider the Art brothers to be quite knowledgeably good guys.

hit that nail rite on the head steve .. i was at hannibal when they walked in the door ... head scratchin... hmmmm's ..... pretty things ... same show ole me didn't recognise that graycoat .... and les snapped it up ... i don't forget stuff like that ... and the 6-8 names associated with their " bringing out" are all recognizable .... pretty glass to be sure .. but as i said ... break 1 up and lets see what they are. settle the arguement , for sure. damaged 1 for experiment .. ????? bill

If you was involved, don't you have one to "break up"?

I have one, the best example of 19, that I would donate for such test if the results were conclusive, old vs new.

What's the story on Thelma......how did she get them before the Art's?

Was Thelma and/or the Art's marble collectors?

If you was aware of CAC's enough to be digging around for them, would you look up Thelma and the Art's to unload your fantastic find?

If you paid via checks, maybe the IRS should look into their earnings.

Would the local news be interested in this story and investigate?

could sham-rock have made a CAC cullet run in the beginning?

Not everything I post is meant to bring something new!

Hell, I don't know but I think it's worth trying to find out. It would be a great story if they are real and a awakening if not. mon

Time line for mine was that Les Jones aquired them in 2000 then he sold in Amana. At Columbus that same year I picked about 17 of them. Left over from Amana and even a couple cases he didnt even get to bring out. All stripe opaques. Some of mine have fractures and embeded dirt. Prices he had was what he was getting on ebay in brief time between june and august. As picking he just went by color and pattern, 50, 75, 100 etc. Thelma sold on ebay shortly after that. Her prices started small but quickly grew as word got out. I bought one of her last ones in '02.Estepp brought submarine types at the 03 Vegas show. I do not see no where near now being sold as the beginning. I know of a few ebay sellers that bought Les during same time have been selling a few. I believe what are seeing being sold now are from collectors that bought during that time and for some reason need to sell. I havent seen any new types emerge and sold since probably late 03. At Canton I saw very few for sale. I am at the point either put up evidence of fackery or shut up.

I have read numerous posts for years about these exotics. I tried to point out the similarities between the citrus find and exotic story. Nobody cares or will debate the fact that both just appeared from a single source. One is accepted and one is not. You have people here who have probably never held one in there hand bashing them. Then again, the ones that do know won't post, like pics of fractured or embedded dirt so we can put that reason to rest. Oh, I get the feeling that I can kill a thread but I'm the only one offering to help at my expense. I'm not asking these questions to be an ass (in my last post), I think they are valid. WHO ARE THESE GREAT GUYS..THE ART'S. I was told that Hansel D. stated that he's bashing them because it has hurt his cyclone and higher end CAC's. I also heard, more than once, that I traded my Harley for some! Still have my HD, idiots and can prove if needed. Is it all bull? 2000 seems to early....show me one post before 2002 that has any reference to or pics of an exotic. What year was the water line dig? Come on, post some question and answers if you have them. mon-o-mon

If you was involved, don't you have one to "break up"?

I have one, the best example of 19, that I would donate for such test if the results were conclusive, old vs new.

What's the story on Thelma......how did she get them before the Art's?

Was Thelma and/or the Art's marble collectors?

If you was aware of CAC's enough to be digging around for them, would you look up Thelma and the Art's to unload your fantastic find?

If you paid via checks, maybe the IRS should look into their earnings.

Would the local news be interested in this story and investigate?

could sham-rock have made a CAC cullet run in the beginning?

Not everything I post is meant to bring something new!

Hell, I don't know but I think it's worth trying to find out. It would be a great story if they are real and a awakening if not. mon

would if i did mon ... but i backed up when i first saw them. too much hype .. too much " push" to sell them .. gotta get 1 now ... yea, too whoever can do it .... split 1 and see ... shut the speculation ... up ... the story is no better now than it was then .... bill

would if i did mon ... but i backed up when i first saw them. too much hype .. too much " push" to sell them .. gotta get 1 now ... yea, too whoever can do it .... split 1 and see ... shut the speculation ... up ... the story is no better now than it was then .... bill

So, you didn't buy....why would someone say you did? "Push" to sell them......by the Art's?...doesn't sound like it if it took Rick a year to get in. Can you tell more, please? If someone knows of a lab that can prove..old from new..I'll send mine!

Maybe someone will write a book/pamphlet about the find and include pics.

Can't anyone do something good for this hobby without a payday?

I heard from someone recently that the Christensen water cistern has yet to be checked out and that there could be thousands upon thousands of CA in there. Same person told me they found the MFC water cistern but its too dangerous to enter.

When I talked with the employee at the garage, she mentioned there was talk about a well. it was found, there was no marbles.

ill go down .....
not going to touch that!

Does it make sense for the finders to sell to Thelma and the Art's......were they "marble people" at that time? Why wouldn't you seek out a known CAC collector? Google CAC's and tell me what page you find Thelma and the Art's. mon

Time line for mine was that Les Jones aquired them in 2000 then he sold in Amana. At Columbus that same year I picked about 17 of them.

Can you post a pic of these original 17?

All stripe opaques. Some of mine have fractures and embeded dirt.

And theses?

I'm not in the loop but was head over heels into marbles, e-bay and shows back then. I never heard of the new exotics till 02...not that that means anything. When did the rest of you hear of them? Trying to determine how long they laid dormant between the water line dig and being marketed. mon

Just a follow-up on the book comment. I don't think people that write very specific type of marble books make any money off them. I think they are lucky to break even. I would just like to see all the info categorized in one place and with good pics. Steph has done a great job with the "Study Hall", etc. getting information pieced together on various marbles and topics.

Just a follow-up on the book comment. I don't think people that write very specific type of marble books make any money off them. I think they are lucky to break even. I would just like to see all the info categorized in one place and with good pics. Steph has done a great job with the "Study Hall", etc. getting information pieced together on various marbles and topics.

I can easily agree to all that!