Examples Of Exotics?

Steph

OK, what "good" questions would you or anyone like to have answered? Maybe if someone else ask them here, they will not think it is just me stirring the pot and this community would like some kind of answer. If there is nothing to hide, why not answer all these questions even if they feel it has been addressed before? mon

Craig, the only people that will respond are those who do not own any of the exotics. Those that own them are all hush hush because its really not known if they are real or not. I think you may have invested in some recently and are trying to figure out what the deal is, this has been going on since the 90's. No one knows and Clyde is the only one that claims to own any. clyde did get some of les's striped opaques but the are not the big dollar CA's Alan sells periodically. All that i know is these crazy ass super clean minty CA's that alan sells are out of this world. I dont know why CA would have dumped them or stashed them in someones basement. Smitty, Tow, Brian Estepp, Alan, Bob, no one actually steps up and talks about what really went down so its all a big fricken mystery. You have to be in the in crowd to know what the deal is, and that fell apart at the latest canton show which was a drag. I'm still waiting to hear what the deal was with the show, why was it so quiet?

You missed all my subs and translucents Greg. I only got the opaques from Les. The others I from other dealers. I'm not even sure all the big dealers really knows the true story either. Alan sure wasnt happy when he put up a Shamrock as one. He also put up a superball a a gutta percha.

Greg,

I only have one that I would consider an exotic, and I got it in a trade that I had really nothing into. I will post pics of it and the two red/transparent blue/white ones I have that steph posted in the poll. The canton show was awesome, there were alot of dealers I have new met before. Romanoak has some absolutely stunning stuff. Absurdly gorgeous actually. There were a few dealers with alot of original cullet from ca. I dug through it and didn't find any exotics, but quite a few electric orange sub pieces were in there. I need to post those too. There were quite a few color combos that I had never seen before, which was nice to see in hand. I was allowed to buy a few pieces of these.

C

If Christensen actually made these, surely they were not one of a kind or one

of a few. They were quite proud of their creations, making special boxes with American

Agates or Guineas. Would they not have done the same for these types?

Gropper Co. seems to have only packaged slags and swirls. If these Exotics were known to

them, I'm sure they would have been lining up to market them. In either case, some would have

survived from the wild and surfaced by now, in whatever condition.

It just doesn't make sense.

The marbles sold by sham-rock are made from modern glass by Spectrum, Kokomo, Bullseye and Effretre. So, I'm sure that the surface and feel is different. But, a machine like that does not have to use modern glass! I think if his intent was to make an exotic ...he could. mon

A good marblin buddy just reminded me of this point. ( I should keep my mouth shut because I would like to believe they are vintage). The point is, when marbles are made with a gob feeder(CAC used Gob feeders) and even when handgathered, many many marbles of the same type and color were made that day or days. Wouldn't that also be true for these. Maybe a few odd between run types but the color variations on these are a bit too much are they not??? And if not, why are there not many identical colors ???????????? Now that is beating the horse and opening a can of worms in one post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So CAC sold through Gropper, a distribution company. They likely had a contract together, based on the manufacture and marketing of specific types and quantities of marbles, CAC on the hook to produce, Gropper on the hook to sell what was produced. So in between marble runs required to meet contractual obligations, and given the need to purge equipment between runs(probably hot purging by running glass), I can envision a small quantity of unique marbles being manufactured, none of which could be sold as advertised and marketed standard product. So what would become of these marbles......maybe since they are like the machine made equivalent of end-of day mibs, some may have wound up in the site glass dump and maybe some made neat give-aways to workers, friends and family. Maybe the workers were intentionally afforded some creative license during purge cycles for making special marbles. Just hypothesizi’n…….

i would believe those super rare apricot, lavender etc. transparent based striped transparents were made by christensen. the company lived a short life and these marbles bring decent money to bother to sell. so, they keep showing up on ebay and shows. what i am having hard time to believe is the story that they were found underslab in mint plus condition. sami

I have one each of the subs, blue, green, amber, lavender, orange tranlucent. Mine may not have some extra colors that some examples have. My green just has yellow. Amber, also only yellow. Purple and blue has orange and white on both. I have seen exact samples in other coll. At canton somebody had same exact orange translucent that I have. I have other examples that I have that other people have. These arent one offs. These are low numbers compared to a regular run but I would estimate there are several hundreds to maybe several thousands of these.

I find it ironic that Hansel, Bill, Smitty, Brian, Alan, Bob, or anyone ever contributes to these exotic threads. We've had these threads many times before and got no where. Who the hell is thema LOL

Why would you expect me to comment on marbles I don't collect and of a mysterious origin?

Just about the only thing I know is Bill Tow told me Les told him to sell his exotics.

Clyde is on to something, If everyone posts a pic of their supposed exotics, I am sure some have to match. That may be a good test as to which ones may have come out of the same run. This first photo is CAC exotic halves from Bill Tow I believe. Second is a few pieces I found of cobras/exotic.

post-2120-0-97951100-1314576636_thumb.jp

post-2120-0-85728000-1314576666_thumb.jp

The above pic by Bill Tow should put a lot of questions to rest. Bill also took a fine pic of a very large number of halves ( maybe 300 ) of which some could be considered exotic ( maybe 20 or 30 ). This thread has been pretty civil, thanks.