Vintage Marbles

bigtee0

When "Wet Mint" was coined, if we weren't buying marbles "live," we were buying from the Antique Trader, or someone's mailing list. Rarely with pictures.... Descriptions had to be precise. It was very difficult to verbally transmit that picture. The term meant exactly what it sounded like. If that's not what you got, there was trouble!! Using "wet" didn't have to be combined with "Mint." It could be a "wet surface with 2 small chips and 3 moons." The "wet" part simply described that wonderful wet looking shine. The "mint" part was perfection.

And yeah... Perfect is perfect!! "Mint +" kinda reminds me of the gold coins advertised on TV...

They are .9999 solid gold!! That's FOUR 9's!!! :cool-smileys-262:

yes Sue, i think its the same person...

thanks Galen,

you reading my mind Smitty?

what Sue said....

thanks for all the pics Miser....

each of us has our own thoughts on the subject and there wasnt to much tearing my post apart, thanks. just remember what you said the next time i go after ya.....lol

love ya Sue

If the marbles are protected well enough there's nothing to take the shine away. Glass is much harder than air!

I had a set of Akro ades and oxbloods from the 1930's that a very tidy little boy had stored in a 1933 World's Fair cigar box for decades. They were so pristine I didn't even know how to describe them when I put them up for sale. I got ... and sold ... them in my first few months of collecting. If there were any I wanted back from what I first sold, it would be the ones in that box. *sigh*

When I expressed my surprise to the now old man's wife about how well preserved the marbles were, she said "You should see how nice his train set looks". Apparently even as an 8-year-old he took great care of his belongings.

so if the marbles are not covered and protected what do you suppose is going to happen to them? like the little boy of the household liked to play marbles just like all the other little boys. as many "wet mint" i have seen some really had to be played with. is that where Leroy and Galen and them come in? :)

Marie

Galen, i would appreciate it very much if you would tell me about Pastels... yes, eighty years old and wet mint but... they all arent that way, just every once in awhile.......oh and those ones they called brain......