Giant Onionskin, One Of The Largest Known To Exist?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2-11/16, 4 panel red/blue, 12 vane, has some hits on it. I paid some good jack for that marble.

Hello,

Can you post some photos of that giant, or send photos to my email address paterjb01(at) gmail dot com I would love to see them. And what do you mean with vane? lobed?

Jeroen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first post.

My name is Randy Conway and I live in California. I collect what I consider Killer handmades.

I will have my son Brandon help me post some pictures.

I love large unusual marbles and condition is very important. Mint mint mint..

I recently bought two 2" Indians that are not mint but they show well, I am not satisfied with them because of the condition.

I chose to post on this thread because it's about large handmades and three of my marbles have been referenced.

I have two of the three same cane clown onions that sold in Morphys several years ago.

I also have the 3-1/16" swirl..

I am always looking for more.

I am working on a new web page on marbles but it is not up ad running yet, the address is

Killermarbles dot com so please keep an eye out for it.

My email is "randy at linkline dot com"

Feel free to email me.

Thanks

Randy Conway

Hi, this is my first post. My name is Randy Conway and I live in California. I collect what I consider Killer handmades. I will have my son Brandon help me post some pictures. I love large unusual marbles and condition is very important. Mint mint mint.. I recently bought two 2" Indians that are not mint but they show well, I am not satisfied with them because of the condition. I chose to post on this thread because it's about large handmades and three of my marbles have been referenced. I have two of the three same cane clown onions that sold in Morphys several years ago. I also have the 3-1/16" swirl.. I am always looking for more. I am working on a new web page on marbles but it is not up ad running yet, the address is Killermarbles dot com so please keep an eye out for it. My email is "randy at linkline dot com" Feel free to email me. Thanks Randy Conway
Hello Randy, Thank you for your post. I have just send you an e-mail. look forward to hear from you. Jeroen

• 2 months later...

Hello Collectors,

I have added an other giant onionskin to my collection. It is over 2-19/32 inch, close to 2-5/8. My other giant is 2-19/32. To be sure which marbles is the biggest, I put them on a scale. My other giant is 370 grams, this one is 381 grams. I have put the question for the hunt for giant onionskins on some other marble forums also, but until now, I have no hard proof of bigger ones. Perhaps they are with collectors who never go to the internet.

As an other collector told me, the true giants are as rare as hens teeth! Well it seems so.

Jeroen

post-2911-0-71491100-1352898860_thumb.jp

Hello,

I did a nice discovery on one of my giant onionskins recently. I discoverd that my turquoise onionskins is mentioned in the book "Big book of marbles" from Crist and Huffer 4th edition. Plate 402, page 171. The color in the book is different with the real color, so I did not recognise it at first. The marble is up side down too in the book. Also the description is different in the book: single pontil cloud with mica 2-3/16. It is not a single pontil, and it is much larger.

Look at the detail in the red circle. 100% MATCH!

So I have a well known marble also!

Jeroen

post-2911-0-34860900-1353609119_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Collectors,

A few weeks ago I contacted Bob Block about giant onionskins. Het mentioned that he had seen one about 15 years ago at the Amana show that was 3-1/4 inch!!! Lloyd Huffer rememered that one also, but they don't know who owns it now, and did not have a photo of it. Can any of you remember that giant onionskin, and have any more info about it?

And of course any info about other giants is still welcome!

Regards,

Jeroen

I run into a 2-5/8 inch onionskin that was sold in 1996 for $3050. I am affraid to long ago that anyone can remember on what auction it was, or have more deatails than this website gives.

http://www.kovels.co....html?eid=68828

Jeroen

This one would have been reported by me, since I was the one who was giving marble pricing and examples to Kovel. I'll fire up the old computer over the next day or so and see if I have to one in a database (and the image). Otherwise, I'll have to dig out the box of old catalogues and find it.

This one would have been reported by me, since I was the one who was giving marble pricing and examples to Kovel. I'll fire up the old computer over the next day or so and see if I have to one in a database (and the image). Otherwise, I'll have to dig out the box of old catalogues and find it.

Hello Bob,

Love to see a photo of it.

Jeroen

Send me an email and I'll look over the weekend.

Hello Bob,

Have you received my email? Did you find the photos?

Does anybody know someting about the 3-1/4 inch onionskin marble from the Amana show?

And of course Merry Chrismas and a Happy New year from Holland to all of you!

Regards,

Jeroen

In 1996 I ran Absentee Marble Auctions 21, 22 and 23, each over 500 lots. I have print copies of the catalogues for 21 and 23, but not 22. I'm pretty sure that 22 was the live auction I held in Kansas City. I know we ran out of catalogues for that one. I think there is a copy of the catalogue in the MCSA archives, I'll check the next time I'm over there. I don't have any images from that early in digital form, at that point we were still shooting film and I was doing actual paste-up of the pages. The catalogue would have been in Wordperfect, but I had a hard disk crash in 1998 and lost everything prior to that date because the backup was corrupted.

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your efferd trying to find the photos. It is not the worlds end if you dont find them ;-) I just hope some other photos of giant onioskin will show up in the future.

Raynsandy you posted several months ago that you have a 2-11/16 inch 12 lobed. Can you post some photos of it?

Jeroen

• 11 months later...

Thank you for the link. I wonder if it really is 2-1/2 inch. I have a marble that is 2-7/16, or jut over, and that weights 11.2 oz. This one is stated as 11 oz. So it probably oes not reach 2-1/2 inch. But it is a nice marble, but to expensive for me.

Jeroen

I think it was made as a paper weight of the damage on the marble/paper weight there is also some on the flat giving me the thought it was made that way because if it was made to cover a big chip I would think the rest of it would have some signs of being polished and there is none the complete marble/ weight is not polished at all except the flat and that has some small issues . Mike