Canton Show Reports

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't have a camera to take pics. I wish someone else would step up and take over the show, I'm really getting burned out from doing everything myself and have lost the motivation to promote it like it should be. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot on tuesday I was approached by someone who was highly upset because he arrived at 10:30 a.m. and his room wasn't going to be ready until 2:00 so I had to go talk to management and put a rush on cleaning his room. He sold all week long and I never saw him out of his room, yet on Saturday he didn't rent a table to support the show, tightass! This stuff goes on all week, I can't count the times I had to go to the front desk because someone wasn't happy with their room location, isn't much I can do about it but show fake concern. There are quite a few people now who take advantage of the expensive advertising and sell during room trading but don't kick anything back by renting a table. So, if anyone is interested, just contact me, the Feb. show is scheduled for Feb. 9th, It doesn't pay anything, but you'll get a few "thank yous"

I agree with you, Smitty. Obviously you want lots of people to attend the show and the in-room trading but they should kick in something. I know when I first started collecting and attended a couple of shows, I did not sell so did not need a table but I put some money "in the jar" to help cover the costs of the show to the person(s) putting it on. You might feel "bad" about doing this but I would suggest putting together a small flyer and handing it out to everyone (who doesn't have a table) asking for "donations" to help offset costs of the show. I'm sure that the majority of the collectors (who are 95%+ great people) will kick in something. Of course, money can't compensate for the headaches of people complaining about where their room is located and why can't they get in at 10 am - hey, tell them it is the hotel's policy that check-in time is 3:00 (or whatever it is) and you don't control the previous occupants of the room nor the cleaning staff, etc. I've "mentioned" that to a couple collectors over the years that were complaining to the show host(s). It may not make me a "friend" but it takes the host(s) off the hook a little (since he/she probably wanted to say the same thing).

how many people actually walk off the street to go to the actual show?

personally I don't like the show part, I feel more comfortable walking into someones room, sitting down, taking my time looking at stuff. During a show you are bent over a table and feel rushed, so you make bad purchases and sometimes the lighting is not good.

I read on another board that police detectives were at the show interviewing people over something.

Last year, my grandson had asked me to take him to a "major" show. I picked yours because of the numbers of dealers I heard attended. Joseph and I didn't make it around to all the rooms, expecting them to be at the show. The number of dealers at the show was less than Texas, not more. Joseph and i were both disappointed that so many people went home and we never got a chance to shop with them; We had come too far for that to happen. Smitty, I'm not complaining about you. It wasn't your fault.

Smitty,

As you know I have backed off marbling for awhile, but I feel that I had to step back up to the plate (for now). It seems no matter what your involved in, there are only a few select people who step up and work. It also seems that it is always the same people day in and day out. I attended the show and I had a great time, saw some old friends and found some great Alleys. I do like the room dealing better as it is more one on one and you can take your time and really look at what the person has.

I would suggest that you charge for room selling and if they attend the show it is no cost for the table..........If they do not set up at the show, then they paid for the right to have the access to the buyers due to your advertising. I also saw a few people hanging out at the door asking if people had marbles that they were bringing in, uhm, maybe they should have paid to sell in the room because they were selling out of their rooms and did not set up or even attend the show.

I think you do a great job and you put 100% into it, you may not be rewarded now, but you will be........You are one of the people who make this fun and the reason I am still kinda into collecting. I have had some real bad moments, which is why I am no longer into it as I once was. But your still a class act person and you have earned the respect of many, THANK YOU!

Just give me a baseball bat and I will help at the winter show(LOL). . Smitty, don't get too dishearted, there are tightassed individuals in every part of the country. Don't let them win! I love the idea of a selling fee for all attendees selling out of their rooms. It should be mandatory at every show. I would happily pay it on top of a table fee.

And dog gone if those detectives don't even make calls to California. It appears a recently let go employee of a marble company may be under a bit of an investigation.

To All,

I have attended many Buckeye shows over the years I have been collecting, mostly doing the show and tell thing and buying some marbles. Two shows ago and this show I came with the intention to sell some marbles from my personal collection. In my own situation I have other responsibilities which I have to trust to someone else, at a cost of course. Most of us do. As far as selling goes, some say I did well, I say I did "ok". The marbles sold by me were marbles that I had spent nearly 20 years procurring. I say procurring because as most of you know, it is work. Most of the sales I broke even on, others I lost money on or made a small profit. The number of customers that bought from me number not more than a dozen or so. Its the same old song "NO NEW BLOOD" at the shows. I am sure one day it will be called the geriatric marble show, simply due to the comparing of ailments and prescriptions that goes on, (myself included). SMITTY, you do a fantastic job at putting together your marble show, but I believe the shows are seeing the end of an era and wil eventually become extinct. When I asked about joining the Buckeye Marble Club the response from you was " Why, you don't get anything for it". Guess you were really feeling down at that point. Show day I did not set-up but I did remain for most of the show. Bought a number of nice things such as a marble walking stick, some contemporary marbles as Christmas gifts, but those were out done by Griff's canned goods (pear jam) Oh so good!! All in all, in room trading was ok and the show from a customers point of view, was very slow.

The old timers I worked with years ago told me " Better days are coming". Lets all hope so! and Smitty, you are appreciated more than money. Green Gazer (Vern).

I went to Canton for room trading as well as the show proper.

Steve made me feel "At Home" and was a great help to me personally.

(I want to thank you again)

I sold just as much on Saturday as I did Weds, Thurs & Fri combined.

Not setting up on Saturday is like leaving the ball game in the seventh inning. (You can miss that home-run...)

There were between 30-40 rooms open but only 20-25 tables on Sat.

People definitely need to support the people and the club that makes it all possible.

I would be glad to help anyway I can.

I've attended approx. 10 shows and never rented a table. To think the organizers assume I'm a "tightass" is unsettling! I thought it was a positive to lose money in travel, room rental, eating out, buying and selling in support of marble collecting. People may never meet your expectations if they are not aware of them in advance and this is the 1st I've heard of this. I think you should draw numbers for every table renter to take turns for every "parking lot walk-in" to buy their marbles. This is due to the expensive advertising they are paying for. Is this advertising about getting a marble collector to the show? Where do you advertise? Also, I think it's pompous for you to judge people attending YOUR show without knowing their reason for leaving and/or not renting a table! P.S. I'm not showing fake concern!

I think there is also concern that the 2 show organizers are involved in running marble auctions so anything coming in might be diverted to these other auctions, or the shows might be used as a source to solicit inventory to be sold at the auctions later in the year. Some say conflict of interest, or some say a good way to drum up business. In other words, what started as a club show is now turned into something else. scratching head... is that legal?

The hobby we all love is in danger of dying. We as collectors need to cultivate new collectors.

Negative attitudes, in-fighting and personal agendas need to be set aside.

This thread has shown all the BS the people running the shows put up with.

When ever will it be just about marbles?

Why not contribute something to the hobby instead of tearing it down???

Lets' face it. There were a few of us who did have NFS collections at the show that were brought to show off. Anybody who came to sell and did not pay there expenses, I would consider there on vacation. These marble meets mostly bring in collectors at the low end of marble collecting. Where are all the big time hoarders from the top of the marble collecting tier. Tier1-bulk, tier2-patches, cateyes etc., tier3-west virginia swirls, slags, tier4-Vitros, master,tier5-Akro,tier6- Peltier, tier7-Christensen and so on. Where are the collectors that look down on us as a resource to be used to add to thier personal collections. Do they promote marble collecting by selling from their room or setting up at the show. Do they help enlighten the little guy trying to learn or the few kids that might come to room hop with thier small box of marbles. At this last show there was a request for BULK marbles. These marbles are wanted so they can be put in jars and sold through antique malls @ $35 a quart. How many kids have that kind of money for JUNK marbles. The upper tiers of marble collecting are the Handmade, Navarre, Giant slag, box collector and rare marble collectors that would not even think about spending time with the tier1-7 collectors because THEY DON"T GET ANYTHING FOR IT. There are a few exceptions and if you room hop, you know who they are because they share. We should demand that these big time collectors open their closets and share their secrets with us instead of waiting for their marbles to appear on the big MMMMM internet marble auction pages. For those of you are in favor of charging a room fee for selling from a room BEWARE! this sort of infringement on our enjoyment of marble collecting will not be tolerated. I will pay full room rate but it will not be at a Buckeye marble show. So think of a better way! 98% of the marbles collected by me are NOT from any marble show. Marble ON! Green Gazer (Vern).

mc marbles......you don't think that wining about someone attending the show and not buying a table is bad for the hobby? Is it about the marbles? If anyone makes me out to be tightass" for something I don't know, your going to get my side! Like it or not! If you don't find joy or reward in running a show, quit!

Let me say this...

I have nothing to do with running the Canton show.

I only attended & enjoyed it.

My point is if you don't rent a table for the show that is YOUR decision.

It is just a shame more people do not do the show proper.

Vern...You came into my room with your wife. We talked quite a while, we enjoyed talking marbles,

you even purchase a few marbles from me. (Thank You) I would call you a Friend.

I was in your room several times and enjoyed looking at your NFS case. That is what it is all about.

When I tried to see what you had to sell or trade I found those marble cases closed.

So I could not attempt to return the favor of buying something. You did not set up at the show (Your Choice)

so I then could not attempt any purchases. You perhaps limited your own chances of selling.

Mon...My comment "Why not contribute something to the hobby instead of tearing it down??? "

was directed to Greg11 who enjoys stirring the pot and being negative even at the detriment of the hobby.

Now we may have lost one of best marble Shows in the Country. How sad.

Hey Smitty, Your a good Christian man. Lets put it in play. Be as nice, as compassionate and forgiving as possible then put on the best damn show in the country. Why not put the personalities behind, do what you know helps many and the hobby in general. If there is any way I can help with time or money please call. The winter Canton show is the best the hobby has. Lets rock it!!!!

MC,

This was the first time I had an un shared room to set up. I apologise for being a poor host and I do remember your visit. My cases were labeled by the type of marbles that were in them. At one point I packed up and was ready to leave late wed. I must have been distracted and I am sorry. Should have poked me hard and asked to look. Others looked for over 2 hrs picking Alleys and Vitros. If you are ever marble hunting give me a call and come down and stay overnight and you will see most of what i have for No Charge. (859 356 9664). I remember a time when everyone contributed to a monetary collection and a gift card was bought and presented to the host of the Buckeye show to show our appreciation. Those days are past. Maybe this asshole(me) will use his tightass to shoot marbles into Lake Erie for the next generation of marble collectors. How do you know my ass is tight anyway and what happened to the separation of church and marbles. Green Gezer oops.... Gazer.

For the record, when I used the term "tightass" it was in the singular and is how I feel about "that" certain individual, it was not meant toward everybody who did not rent a table! And i'm trying to come up with a response to some of you, but am having trouble keeping it brief.