Morphy Auction Online!!!!

jeroen

Most of the marble pictures look like they were lighted with a ceiling skylight. Only the top part of the marble is well-lighted (but is obscured by the huge reflection from the light), with all the rest of it almost looking backlit. That's no way to take marble pictures.

I can't say for certain, but that does look very much like a few that I made back in 2006 or 2007. The size is right as well. I may have an example or two in my sample case - will take a look Wednesday when I am at my shop. The maroon is subsurface opaque orange. There should also be some clear matrix. Wish I could see it in hand.

A few of the marbles described as 8.8 or 8.9 in condition look like ones that ought to be graded "good" (that confusing marble grade that really means poor) to merely collectable. I mean, huge chips. What's up with that? Just because there's one huge chip, does that make it a 8.9? I think I'd be afraid to bid even if I had the means.

For some reason the pics are always much better in the printed book they put out. Many of those Christensens are (were) mine. The guineas are all under-rated and ill described IMHO.

e

ven the more common ones are spectacular in hand. Order a catalog and enter some bids. These are the best of the best.

• 2 months later...

Check out that box with the transitionals!

Any information about this box would be appreciated.

All the marbles have "pinched pontils - curved with messy spidering" as Roger Browse would say.

http://members.kings...ics/trans2.html

The only other markings on the box is "49 cents (?)" written in pencil on the bottom.

However, in the bag is a crumpled tissue advertising Dutch washing soap from the colonial era (1930s-1940's ?)

It's been said that these marbles are often found in Indonesia, a former Dutch colony.

Does "Marbles" have the same meaning in Dutch as in English?

post-358-0-59970800-1356118239_thumb.jpg

All the marbles have "pinched pontils - curved with messy spidering" as Roger Browse would say.

The only other markings on the box is "49 cents (?)" written in pencil on the bottom.

However, in the bag is a crumpled tissue advertising Dutch washing soap from the colonial era (1930s-1940's ?)

It's been said that these marbles are often found in Indonesia, a former Dutch colony.

Hi Hansel,the Dutch word for marbles is 'knikkers'. I do know that in Holland, in the 1920's-1930's you would get free marbles inside a package of washing powder or soap, the brand name of that soap was 'Sneeuwwitje' (Snow-white). Is that the brand name on the advertising in the bag?

Hi Hansel,the Dutch word for marbles is 'knikkers'. I do know that in Holland, in the 1920's-1930's you would get free marbles inside a package of washing powder or soap, the brand name of that soap was 'Sneeuwwitje' (Snow-white). Is that the brand name on the advertising in the bag?

Here's a pic of the tissue, Jeroen.

May not have much to do with the marbles, but why would it be in Dutch, when the box and bag says "Marbles"?

post-358-0-56601900-1356122208_thumb.jpg

Guest browse4antiques

I remember reading once that one of the UK companies that put together marble products (solitaire) was owned by a Dutch business. Also now there is quite good evidence that some of the other UK packages of the time contained marbles that were made in the Netherlands. ... Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hansel ... Marbles in dutch probably is not the same meaning as it translates to The Parthenon ..