How About A Name, A Face And A Preference. Machine Or Handmade?

23 hours ago, William said:

Bill, here...figured I better get around to doing this 😊 Been a lifelong collector of various things from antiques, football cards, agates; always liked spreading my wings into something new that interests me. Gardening and fishing definitely rank right up there with the favorites. Originally from Indiana, moved to Jacksonville, Florida when I was a kid, then relocated to Mabel, Minnesota in 93'.  I've done everything from steel fab, painting and paint manufacturing too landscaping. Jack of all trades I guess. Mainly factory work with 8 years of nursing sprinkled in since coming too Minnesota. Currently at Miken Sports since 2006, manufacturer of composite baseball and softball bats. Also the manufacturer of the batting helmets you see all MLB players wearing in the batter's box, myself and one other man being the only two people making those. Met the woman,  Peggy, I would eventually marry stepping off the Greyhound bus back then. Together 25 years until she lost her battle with brain cancer in 2018. Things started looking up again when Patricia entered my life late that year, another hurting heart trying to find her way. Life has it's pitfalls and obstacles, starting over being one, but life supposedly finds a way ❤...The hobby that is marbles caught my eye back in December of 2020 while treasure hunting and I began actively searching in February of this year. They are truly all little beautiful works of art, no preference per say, love them all! After looking around, decided to join this community. The overall construction of this site was perfect for me. And, of course, I have learned the people here are the most special part of it all. Thanks for taking me in! 😊

20210506_070701.jpg

20200308_153233.jpg

20200510_170710.jpg

The first pic is Patty's dog Uno (waiting for me to go out back and play catch), the second picture is Patty and I outside Dairy Queen on a balmy April day last year, and the third is my special place.

On 6/26/2021 at 5:50 AM, William said:

Bill, here...figured I better get around to doing this 😊 Been a lifelong collector of various things from antiques, football cards, agates; always liked spreading my wings into something new that interests me. Gardening and fishing definitely rank right up there with the favorites. Originally from Indiana, moved to Jacksonville, Florida when I was a kid, then relocated to Mabel, Minnesota in 93'.  I've done everything from steel fab, painting and paint manufacturing too landscaping. Jack of all trades I guess. Mainly factory work with 8 years of nursing sprinkled in since coming too Minnesota. Currently at Miken Sports since 2006, manufacturer of composite baseball and softball bats. Also the manufacturer of the batting helmets you see all MLB players wearing in the batter's box, myself and one other man being the only two people making those. Met the woman,  Peggy, I would eventually marry stepping off the Greyhound bus back then. Together 25 years until she lost her battle with brain cancer in 2018. Things started looking up again when Patricia entered my life late that year, another hurting heart trying to find her way. Life has it's pitfalls and obstacles, starting over being one, but life supposedly finds a way ❤...The hobby that is marbles caught my eye back in December of 2020 while treasure hunting and I began actively searching in February of this year. They are truly all little beautiful works of art, no preference per say, love them all! After looking around, decided to join this community. The overall construction of this site was perfect for me. And, of course, I have learned the people here are the most special part of it all. Thanks for taking me in! 😊

20210506_070701.jpg

20200308_153233.jpg

20200510_170710.jpg

Ah !! a face to the name !! Nice to see you William, thanks for posting, you can see my mug a couple posts back !!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m Gina, I’m mostly Scandinavian. I’ve lived all over, however I was born in Richmond, Va. I’ve collected rocks since I was 5. I’ve had asthma since birth and now in addition, bronchiectasis and a host of other delightful ailments, but I always have a smile on my face. I love riding horses more than just about anything, trouble is I have to have the handler bring them out to me because I’m allergic to hay! I love music and playing the piano and singing. I also am a birdwatcher and take ornithology classes online at Cornell University. I am old (61) and still like adventureI I started collecting marbles because my beloved older brother used to have his bag of marbles and  when the Crow I feed shelled peanuts to every day, left me one that looked like blue lace agate, I took it to be a sign. I hate posting my photo and please don’t be horrified-I just had surgery-this is me, no makeup, just an old lady.

B89121C6-3A32-45BA-B74F-860AFF7E2EF0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Award 1

4 minutes ago, Mojomarblelicious said:

Welcome back Gina , nice to see a smile on your face 

Thank you Joep, usually you’d see a big teethy grin but my eye still hurts a bit. I was happy to see you with your lovely wife and see you, who has been so nice to me since I joined the group. 

So good to put a face to the name Gina, you're smile is infectious, thank you for posting, my ugly mug can also be found here on this thread  somewhere  !!  Ah yes I backtracked a bit & looked, a family shot with me the towering behemoth standing in the middle  image.png.43ffefa80ef0cd85ef02242f308b9006.png

8 hours ago, Chad G. said:

So good to put a face to the name Gina, you're smile is infectious, thank you for posting, my ugly mug can also be found here on this thread  somewhere  !!  Ah yes I backtracked a bit & looked, a family shot with me the towering behemoth standing in the middle  image.png.43ffefa80ef0cd85ef02242f308b9006.png

“Thou doth protest too much”-you have a beautiful family and you are beautiful from the inside-out!

• 2 weeks later...

So good to put a face to the name Chris. "Thanks for posting your pic !! "  I started with handmades still tied for the #1 position, well I guess it's a 3 way split. Peltier, Alley & German Handmades, I keep bouncing back and forth.  :)

• Award 1

Ok, here we go, my name is Liam, started  collecting with my father back in the 80's....I love Germans, especially anytype of opaque glass Germans, love my CAC's, Akros and some Pelts. So my collection is overloaded with those. Frankly I love them all. I collect old American and German tin toys and antique oil paintings as well. I'm a chef, so hobbies include, cooking, eating, drinking and collecting wine...and now that I'm older trying to get back in shape and start mountain biking again. Good to be here and to keep learning. 20200923_090826.thumb.jpg.5cc8ec9738448e5c8211398182f246b1.jpg

• Like 2

Yes Liam,. so good to put a face to the name, "Again Welcome to MC" A wide variety of interests I see !! I too have started walking, not much, a couple miles in the afternoon each day but enough to keep my motor running. Seriously considering getting another mountain bike. I really enjoyed the last one I had.  :)

Chad G.

On 6/26/2021 at 7:50 AM, William said:

20210506_070701.jpg

20200308_153233.jpg

20200510_170710.jpg

More recent photo (prior to church yesterday 😊)

image000000004.jpg

• Like 2

Hello all,

My name is Art and I collect.

My wife and I have collected all sorts of cool stuff, including our most recent interest, Swarovski crystal. We have acquired quite a nice bunch of sun-catching Christmas ornaments along with various figurines. The grandkids-great grandkid always appreciate the prismatic colors that are reflected on the walls as I did when I was a tad younger, visiting my Grandparents and checking out the beveled glass in the windows. We also have enjoyed collecting pottery along with various glass pieces from Depression to early Pressed Glass and a bunch in-between. Collecting glass before I got into marbles explains my fussy mint-only demeanor for sure.

My wife and I started collecting Akroware in the 80’s. What a revelation it was to find the first Hardy’s Akro book to discover that others shared in our passion. This book also revealed to me that Akro made marbles.

That started it all for me. I have spent hundreds of hours researching, books, post boards such as this and many from years past, along with images on the net, old newspaper clippings, toy catalogs and online auctions. I enjoy doing research but there are always a few marbles that I must show to others for verification or information and I look forward to asking your advice, no one knows it all.

I have been a lurker-closet collector for a long time, mostly due to the marble wars of the late 80’s and 90’s. I can see that this board is a most respectable place to be and it is monitored to keep it absent of malice. (Thanks to all of you that spend the effort and have weathered the bad times to do so.)

Collecting boxes is what really turns me on, especially boxes that are in disrepair. It is another form of research that I enjoy. Gaining knowledge of how to, and how to not, bring paper and cardboard back to life and experimenting with some half blown ideas that I might have.

Back-filling empty boxes are also something that I enjoy. I do not just backfill, I backfill to what my research determines to be original, it takes a lot of time. I respect originality to the utmost. It is a great way to collect. Searching for what many consider to be “common” is not so easy. I also collect and restore pouches, especially ones with advertising or history embossed.

I enjoy gardening, flowers and vegetables, planting native trees—another passion of mine, bird watching which is still my biggest passion (even over marbles) and everything else that nature may provide. I also really get into cooking worldwide comfort food (who does not like a good comfort food).

We share our life with our kids, grandkids and great grandkid, two dogs, a Boston Terrier, a French Bulldog and two cats, a Ragdoll and a Yellow Tabby. I think that we are both old wannabe hippies that have survived regardless of our choices------. I have been married 43 years---to the original and the best.

Thanks for reading my wanderings.

Marble on,

Art

• Like 3

8 hours ago, akroorka said:

Hello all,

My name is Art and I collect.

My wife and I have collected all sorts of cool stuff, including our most recent interest, Swarovski crystal. We have acquired quite a nice bunch of sun-catching Christmas ornaments along with various figurines. The grandkids-great grandkid always appreciate the prismatic colors that are reflected on the walls as I did when I was a tad younger, visiting my Grandparents and checking out the beveled glass in the windows. We also have enjoyed collecting pottery along with various glass pieces from Depression to early Pressed Glass and a bunch in-between. Collecting glass before I got into marbles explains my fussy mint-only demeanor for sure.

My wife and I started collecting Akroware in the 80’s. What a revelation it was to find the first Hardy’s Akro book to discover that others shared in our passion. This book also revealed to me that Akro made marbles.

That started it all for me. I have spent hundreds of hours researching, books, post boards such as this and many from years past, along with images on the net, old newspaper clippings, toy catalogs and online auctions. I enjoy doing research but there are always a few marbles that I must show to others for verification or information and I look forward to asking your advice, no one knows it all.

I have been a lurker-closet collector for a long time, mostly due to the marble wars of the late 80’s and 90’s. I can see that this board is a most respectable place to be and it is monitored to keep it absent of malice. (Thanks to all of you that spend the effort and have weathered the bad times to do so.)

Collecting boxes is what really turns me on, especially boxes that are in disrepair. It is another form of research that I enjoy. Gaining knowledge of how to, and how to not, bring paper and cardboard back to life and experimenting with some half blown ideas that I might have.

Back-filling empty boxes are also something that I enjoy. I do not just backfill, I backfill to what my research determines to be original, it takes a lot of time. I respect originality to the utmost. It is a great way to collect. Searching for what many consider to be “common” is not so easy. I also collect and restore pouches, especially ones with advertising or history embossed.

I enjoy gardening, flowers and vegetables, planting native trees—another passion of mine, bird watching which is still my biggest passion (even over marbles) and everything else that nature may provide. I also really get into cooking worldwide comfort food (who does not like a good comfort food).

We share our life with our kids, grandkids and great grandkid, two dogs, a Boston Terrier, a French Bulldog and two cats, a Ragdoll and a Yellow Tabby. I think that we are both old wannabe hippies that have survived regardless of our choices------. I have been married 43 years---to the original and the best.

Thanks for reading my wanderings.

Marble on,

Art

Welcome Art. I have learned a lot about marbles here the people are awesome 👌 . Can't wait to see some pics of your mibs 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2018 at 3:06 AM, danthemarbleman said:

Hi everyone..... new to the marble connection. I've been collecting marbles now for the past 18 years and I'm currently going for the biggest collection in western Canada. 

Favorites are german swirles and machine made hybrids.

20161208_221136-1224x1632.jpg

How’s the collection goal going now?

• 3 weeks later...

51411811061_997b374da6_b.jpg44944710_10217132279315959_4124614522080067584_n by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

Me from a few months ago when the bars finally opened up again. I mean I would prefer to be able to afford handmade marbles but since I can't afford too many I mainly stick to machine mades. My favorite machine mades are prob Ravenswoods. 

• Like 3