Is This The Real Thing?

jeroen

These have been popping up on Ebay intermittently for a few years now, about as long as those newer sulphides (santa, etc). Maybe they weren't made yesterday, but I would be very surprised if it turned out they were even half the age of traditional scenics. In any event, I would not buy one for my collection, and I've told that to anyone who has asked me. I thought I made my opinion clear earlier in this thread, but maybe not in so many words.

I think i might be able to go along with that because this came from Czeck from a grandma who found it in her dead fathers desk in the attic .

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New York mighta looked like after midnight from the Chicago area.....

I apologize, Bob... I didn't realize you were published!!! That makes SUCH a difference!!

Please tell.... Which articles are yours? I'd love to go back and read them.

Ask bob block to give you directions to a few of mine especially on german chinas .

The left appears to be a sloppy imitation of the one on the right. William's layout is quite illuminating.

Are you Crazy ? You didn't see the original listing from Czeck ? Where have you been hiding . If your forum cost me on the resale of this I will definatly have my lawyer sur all of you and especially the moderators .

Guest browse4antiques

Bob,

What aspect of my size calculation do you disagree with? C&G book says that the largest scenics are 1.5" diameter (page 43). A 2.03" diameter marble is 2.483 times greater in volume. Are you saying that BobB knows of larger scenics that C&G did not know of when they wrote their book? ... Roger

One thing I've noticed about these China Marbles is the banding at the top and bottom. The vintage ones have two (2) band then the painting is framed just above and below them.

The newer/modern ones have one band - painting - two bands. Seems to be a patteren. Look at the earlier example of the modern one, same thing. Post #20 and #21

Nice Avatar CallBob

Bob,

What aspect of my size calculation do you disagree with? C&G book says that the largest scenics are 1.5" diameter (page 43). A 2.03" diameter marble is 2.483 times greater in volume. Are you saying that BobB knows of larger scenics that C&G did not know of when they wrote their book? ... Roger

YES !

Bob shouldn't have to do that. I've got all the MCSA newsletters here, from at least the past 10-15 years...

Don't you remember which ones your articles were in??

Bob shouldn't have to do that. I've got all the MCSA newsletters here, from at least the past 10-15 years...

Don't you remember which ones your articles were in??

I will personally email you all from now on for my lawyers .

Going back to the orginal auction post #1, I did see that it said this.........

Nice porcelain ball or marble with scenic painted around - horses animals , tree , people.

the diameter is 2 inch ca. the marrble is not 100% round

the marble is from - 1,98 - 2,01 inch ca.

the marble is used but dont have damages cuts or is broken

very nice condition

please look the photos

please ask all questions - and happy biddings

Boy, ya spike a fever and spend the afternoon asleep and see what you miss?

First of all, I really wouldn't consider myself an expert on scenic chinas. I've bought and sold a few, and auctioned a few, but I've never researched them. So, holding me out as the expert on them would be a mistake. You really should talk to Hansel, he's the one I would consider an expert.

Using Carskadden and Gartley as the bible of scenic chinas is also probably a mistake. The book was written something like 25 years ago, so the info in it is based on what they had seen up to that time. It would not reflect anything that was uncovered since then.

So, what can you say about this marble?

It is a scenic china.

It is different from scenic chinas that had been found as of 25 years ago.

The base marble is different from traditional scenic chinas.

The style of painting is cruder than traditional scenic chinas.

They were not seen by collectors prior to about 5 or 6 years ago.

That's about all that you can really say that we know is true. None of us was there when it was found. We've all seen enough catseyes come out of attics that supposedly have been closed since the 1930s, to know that you can't believe any story. None of us really knows when it was made.

And the ebay seller has sold other marbles in the past that have been of questionable design, date and provenance.

Well this is going to be an interesting topic. I just saw that this china was sold for $1125! But I thought that there is no real serious discussion if this is a fake or not. This is 100% fake in my opinion. Everything is wrong about this marble. A bonus is that is comes from the Czech Republic. I live in the Netherlands, and when the eastern European countries got their freedom du to Perestoika, all kind of trouble/ fake products etc. came on the market in Western Europe. It got worse when the Bulgarians and the Rumanian countries got their freedom of traveling through Europe also. You have to understand that those countries were, and still are very poor (Czech Republic has improved very much). So they will try everything to get money. And if someone in those countries find out that there are crazy collectors who want to pay thousands of $$$ for marbles, it is just a matter of time and fake ones will appear.

This summer there was a seller from Rumania, or Bulgaria I think with lots of strange rare marbles. The description was saying the marbles were from the 80ties, but they sold like real old handmade marbles. Prices up to $400-500 if I remember correctly. I think those marbles were some kind of remelts, or creations of old other old glass. There are probably enough high skilled glassworkers in those countries, so no problem create such marbles.

Well I am just curious what we will see at ebay in the future coming from those countries. Be careful!

Jeroen

So he spent over 1000 dollars on a questionable marble that he seems to be saying he bought for resale. You sure its the Eagle(LOL) Gonna be real hard to prove it is an authentic 1800s marble. I would be willing to bet, down right impossible. Wrong kind of ball, wrong kind of paint, wrong kind of painting, And dozens of knowledgeable collectors willing to call it questionable. And only the owner to swear its old. Good luck with that.

Guest browse4antiques

If these big, and more crudely made chinas have only been known since 1990, then that says something in itself. Here's pics of 2 others that have sold recently on eBay. The bottom one is really crude. Does anyone believe the top one to be authentic?

Hey BobB, you bought a (slightly faded) polychrome rose from me 20 years ago. Do you still have it? ... Roger

2.jpg

CBob would have had a better chance of resale if he didnt post. Now there are 3 more pages of arguement against being real. Along with comparisons for real and fake. His only defense was for BobB to rescue and back him up. So now he has to convince someone else that it's real and worth more than than $1125. I wonder what Hansel will say.

At least now I know about an eagle's brain.