bigtee0

Tell Me About Champion Jr.'s....

They were packaged in mesh bags, for sure. And I'm pretty sure I've seen Champion Jr. headers on Poly bags too.

The "Champion" headers I've seen with Pelts are green on poly with Rainbos or Banannas in them. The "Champion Jr" labels I've seen are checkerboard with orange and black letters (like old MK labels) on mesh bags, or red on the poly bags I've seen.

Steph, I think "Champion" was a pretty popular marketing word, in general. Did the box have Pelts in it?

One of the versions said Peltier on the side:

ChampionMarbles_Peltier_No16.jpg

Berry Pink later put his brand on Champion boxes. I'm pretty sure he was still boxing up Pelts at least part of the time he used this style.

BerryPink_Joeager.jpg

Well ... now that I look more closely, yes, I've seen mesh bags with just Champion, not Champ Jr.

BRB with a pic. (I have a cropped pic. Wanna see if I can find a more complete copy. :-)

Well, the kid is the same on both types of box . . . when did the knickers with argyles look go out of style? It seems "Champion" may have been a long running marketing theme. And since Peltier and Pink were thick as thieves, it would make sense that they shared graphics - maybe even the same design and print shops.

From a 1939 article. They don't seem to hold a lot of marbles. But they do say Champion. And it's from when Berry Pink was selling Pelts. :)

Fairly large size pic -- might need to double click for full size

1939_07_25_p32_top.jpg

It doesn't appear there are many, if any, more marbles in those Champion mesh bags than the Champion Jr. Mesh bags I've seen. But I do notice they all have a big shooter, which is something I have not seen in the Champion Jr. mesh bags.

Those are great examples, Al. Thanks a lot for posting them. I'm guessing the green Champion headers are later?

hey, thanks Al. the second or third ones a lot like the second.....very dusty dirty and worn. the guy that had them used to take them out and give them to kids a long time ago. probably why they look like they do.......Marie