Morphy Auctions ....

Hello All,

Well I watch the whole marble auction go down.... Wow, that was something.... Over all I wonder if some (a lot) wouldn't have done better as an eBay auction. A few shocked me as how high they went. And as well, a few that didn't get much attention at all. At time I felt like it was being rushed, except for when they seemed to want bids...ie CAC's and such. A few went so fast I didn't even have time to hit the bid button. Anyway, it was something to watch and learn.

I got these two auction.......

Lot#: 1700 Description: Lot of 6: Marble Boxes.**

Lot#: 1728 Description: Monument Stage Sulphide Marble.

So how did you guys/gals do????

Please share!!

Thanks

What an intricate sulphide. Congratulations.

(p.s. and I like the Sureshot box too -- the auction description says Heaton Agates, but I personally would assume Alley until I heard otherwise from a select group of trusted individuals)

(p.s. and I like the Sureshot box too -- the auction description says Heaton Agates, but I personally would assume Alley until I heard otherwise from a select group of trusted individuals)

You're right, Steph. All I see are Alleys from Pennsboro.

I found that sometimes when I hit the Bid button that I ended up getting in at two or three bid increments higher than I had hit. Which really annoyed me, because I didn't want to bid that high. I usually got outbid, but I did get burnt by it on one lot.

Also, I had been declared the winning bidder on the first California Sulphide, and then he re-opened it when I turned away and restarted the auction. It ended before I turned back to the screen, and it was sold to the floor at the same price I had been declared the winner. So, I'm pretty pissed off about that one as well.

I got lot 1827 CAC orange peel. For the price I couldnt let it go for so little. I had same experience as Bob as to hitting bid and it did higher. After that one time I waited until after beginning rush. Wonder why they reopened the lot after it closed? There were other lots where I wasnt thinking and didnt bid.

My loot....

1256 - Badger Sulphide

1257 - Man with Lute Sulphide

1332 - cobalt blue cased mica

1445 - red blue onionskin

1449 - multicolored onionskin

1450 - multicolored onionskin

1554 - peasant couple sulphide

1653 - peppermint swirl w. mica

1741 - 3 swirls

1753 - complex core swirl

1761 - shrunken onionskin

1769 - onionskin with mica

Ron

Wow....you guys got some great stuff!!!!!

No tax on my invoice.... 17.00 for shipping.... 65 for 20%, but I'll opt for the credit card and get it for 18%. I guess they have to pay those 35 employee's some how. LOL

Thanks for the info on the Alley's!!!! Does anyone know when the gropper boxes were made. Steph said she has an ad for 1926....

I was going to get that hazy child sulphide...it went for 25 bucks....my bid button wouldn't work.....

Those possible CA sulphides were selling like gold.....???... way over estimate. I wonder if new collectors think that they were a vintage USA made marble or something....???

Most of the CAC's went 300-450 range. The were a few that went higher. Mainly the subs did. Still a long way off than when they first went on the market. Mine (orange peel) went for 125. I couldnt let that go.

The bounty of CACs in the auction brought the price down overall. The sulphides tended to go cheap for the same reason.