Still Chasing The Elusive Marble King Watermelon Patch

First of all let me say it is a blessing to be back in touch with my marble buddies. I am getting stronger after a short setback. My whole body was trying to check out due to an onset of thyroid linked problems, but now I am bouncing back and will try to get around more often. OK, here is a unique Marble King that I wished to share. It is 3/4 and contains a tiny amount of aventurine. The colors are veneered onto an opaque white base and I see green and red and some blue. The darker color in the red looks more lavender in hand. Good to be somewhat back, enjoy. post-315-0-74008500-1369280818_thumb.jpg post-315-0-58770900-1369280845_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear of your medical problems. Glad you are bouncing back to normal,we hope. I am not bouncing,limping,but walking again. I spent the last five months on crutches,after breaking my heel bad. It is good to have use of my hands again. There is a few different colors combinations of the older green/red MK patches. The patches seem almost as rare as the watermelon.

Hey Roger, I'm glad to hear you're on the mend and I'm happy to see you back here. I'll get you pics later of some that look just like that. - they came out of the ground at the Sistersville Alley site. Some folks, including Ron, as far as I know, don't think Alley ever made patches and lots of the dug ones do match up with dug Akros. But FWIW, I'm not yet 100% convinced that Alley NEVER made patch marbles - even if only by mistake.

Nice mibs Ric! I really love the first one. Are they all veneered colors on an opaque white base Ric? I think I am seeing transparent bases on your mibs William. (Hey Steph, why are some of my replies in bold and it won't let me change it?)

No veneer that I can tell, Roger. Do you see white under the colors on yours? I can't see it in the pics. And from what you show, and looking at mine in hand (I have quite a few more), I'm about 98% sure yours is the same as some of mine - the colors, the brown streaking from the patch through the geen and the AV flecks would be too coincidental if they weren't from the same maker, don't you think?

Mine looks veneered. Willie and I talked about this mib and he said it looks just like one he has, except his has a big chip, exposing an opaque white base. Willie thinks MK all the way. (Thanks again for looking at it for me Willie)

Hey Roger, I found one that has a flake/chip.

Here's what it looks like.

ASEx1_zps2e4719c1.jpg

Here's what it looks like after I wet the chip.

ASEx2_zpsdb2076c6.jpg

and here's what it looks like on a blue shop towel after I hammered it. lol.

ASEx1_zps2f98efb1.jpg

I think you should try this . . . well maybe just up to the wetting part. But seriously, I've seen chips that look all kinds of white, but after you wet them the real color shows. I've done the experiments . . . if the glass is white, it stays white all the way through the wetting and hammering stages. lol.

Glad you're back Roger. I just started a week off and I'm ready for some fun!

LOL.

i would think these would be abundant in the dumps since they werent a production item...in my opinion not havin the marble in hand i say akro...definately not alley....ck the ribbon sizes and compare the patch to known mk patches...on patch and ribbon marbles .....why no girlscouts ,etc that look like this....

Well, Roger. I'm glad you appreciated the post. It was all in good fun. And I'm sure you know me well enough to know that wasn't the last example I had. lol. I actually have quite a few from that site, and there's considerable variation in them too. As for the Watermelon patch . . . heck man, I'm not even sure I've ever even seen one. I've seen about six pretty much completely different marbles people have called MK Watermelon patches though. And I have to agree with Duffy about it being sort of odd that you don't see many, if any, patch styles of the much more common P&Rs like Bumble Bees. Although, I did come accross a group of patches with those colors that people smarter than me thought were Bumble Bees - I'm not entirely convinced. Maybe I'll try to see if I can find them and post pics, just for fun.

And if anybody out there could show a picture of a Watermelon patch sitting next to a Watermelon P&R, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to appreciate it.