Reproductions And The Damage They Can Do??

Sorry Griff, please refer back to post #50 as to my opinion on reproduction. You rephrased as asking for a definition.

Maybe if Galen wasnt so honest he should sell those ones I have seen that mimic vintage for 250-500 each because thats what they would go for if they were real vintage. He could then give the exscuse like some people has said (Griff, Duffy Edna and others) that people have to edjucate themselves. Or pay the $$$ doing it. Griff please refer to post #88. The others can refer to previous posts they have made in the past about education. But If he did that. Then everybody would call him a crook. But no, he is honest. And trying to educate before that money leaves the beginners or whomever's pockets. So, which is it should be? The person thats warns of mimics or the crook that says the ignorant should pay? An example is that a past run had red/white/blue colors. Why couldnt they have used blue AV instead of transparent blue? Easy solution.

Realy Clyde?Who's the crook that said the ignorant should pay?Must have heard it from someone,or are you just making stuff up as you go?

Thanks for not answering my simple question.I appreciate what you have shown me.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because Christensen, Alley, Champion, Cairo, Heaton, Ravenswood, Vitro and Peltier produced at some time Flame type marbles, does that mean no one else can produce marbles with a flame pattern? My question is a bit tongue in cheek, but I am not with the opinion that new flame marbles are any threat to marble collecting hobby. There may be couple blue, red white marbles that might look like a Christensen, but with a little bit of attention I am sure they can be separeted from Christensens. I do not agree the new modern marbles are any threat to collecting. In 80 to 100 years they will be antique and Christensens, Peltiers and Akros etc. will be early machinemades. It will be up to serious collectors, books and expert appraisers to value these items. Today the new marbles serve for newcomers to enter the hobby as an affordable way of introduction, which will serve to move to later serious collecting arena. There will be problems along the way. People will be fooled, waist money, but who in the hobby hasn't? If i make a wrong purchase and quit the hobby because of that, I would have not lasted very long for another reason any way. Collectors come in and go all the time. Some will stick, be a long term collector and become an asset to the hobby one way or another. I am all for discussing these issues and recommend all collectors to serve the hobby at one point rather than be always on the hunt, add better marbles into the collection, and make money along the way.

I agree. Just for the record.

Whoa! What a load of crap! We got people posting here saying that machine marble makers should not be using certain colors because someone used them in the past. Give me and every other sane person in the world a break. That statement is (fill in the blank). Does this mean that I can never paint my bedroom white because someone used white 75 years ago. Personally, I wish Dave and Sammy would have actually tried to duplicate old marble colors. It would not have bothered me at all. If one can't tell the difference, don't buy, get smart or get out. By the way, the world is not flat!

And I agree with him. Just for the record. As long as we are repeating ourselves here.

Ann and Griff,the Euro swirls and the 2 seam slags are old and have history,you can't associate them with Jabo's or Sammy's that have that old look but are new.

Ofcourse it's not fun,when you collect only American marbles and it appears that you have European marbles in your pile,if you are not satisfied with them,you can sell them to me.I like them very much and i like also the old American machien mades.

Hi Winnie -- I wasn't thinking of that kind of comparison -- just wondering why some things (like JABOs and Sammys) draw so much more ire than other types that could be accused of "mimicing" other types, like the European machine-mades. I can totally understand why a European marble company would try to create marbles that looked as good as (or almost as good as) Christensens. It's business, if nothing else.

Personally, I collect the European machine-mades, when I can find them. It's not so easy over here. A couple of years ago, I wrangled some nice machine-made slags from a German guy who only collected large antique marbles. Since I don't collect large marbles, the machine-mades cost me 3 nice peewee onionskins with mica, and it was still one of the best deals I've ever done!

I don't think I've heard anybody rag Vacor to death. Why not?

Vacor marbles actually do not look like vintage types any where near as much as some of the new Ohio types. And there would be absolutely no way to convince anyone there that it would benefit the Vintage marble collecting community if they did not make mimics. I guess I just need to except the fact that these current makers in Ohio just do not care if, and when they turn out marbles that resemble vintage types. And no matter what anyone says, when I show some new marbles to a room full of vintage collectors and they all believe them to be vintage, IT IS HAPPENING. and it is not necessary. So saying it is not happening is just not factual. But I guess saying they could care less is factual. That bothers me the most, as these folks are closely associated to the hobby and do not care if they cause issues for collectors. And Ann, flames are fantastic no matter who makes them. I even have some Jabos that Flame nicely. But they do not look Vintage.

Ann,I don't think the Euro swirls "mimicing" Christensen, pattern and colors are different (for me the most importent traits for a swirl).

Okay some of them are almost as nice as Christensen but totally different swirls IMO.

About the German 2 seam slags,i really don't know who was "mimicimg"who,i know they were dug with old handmades,so who was first?

For me it's not that important,they're old and thats important for me.

I guess I just need to except the fact that these current makers in Ohio just do not care if, and when they turn out marbles that resemble vintage types.

And you think Vacor does?? And tries really really hard to avoid doing that?

I think you'll have to accept that they don't.

Or not. All the same to me.

About the German 2 seam slags,i really don't know who was "mimicimg"who,i know they were dug with old handmades,so who was first?

For me it's not that important,they're old and thats important for me.

There you go. It's not important to me either. My criteria are (1) is it pretty?, (2) is it smaller than 1 1/8" in diameter?, (3) can I live without it? and (4) if not, can I afford it? That's about it.

Well, OK. Sometimes I've bought things I couldn't really afford. Too bad.

post-2163-0-18653500-1375739967_thumb.jp

Why is Scott, always getting dragged into stuff? Poor Scott.

This is about marble companies not marble artist.... right?

What company has the Peltier machine now?

William Marbles, think you need to read my original quote. galen posted a photo and I simply said it looked like a killer Patrick marble. Wheres the harm in that?

A few pelt Miller machines are scattered around the country and I believe there are a couple non Miller still at the site. But they are rounding machines. It is the gob feeder that give the patterns to marbles and they are not really something that would be moved from one site to another. lots of bricks mainly. I just got a call recently about them.

The gob feeder and its relationship to the rollers . . . and the weather, among other things. As Galen said, the "Miller machine" was just the rollers, and they used at least one version of it while still making handgathered marbles. Apparently.

Why is Scott, always getting dragged into stuff? Poor Scott.

This is about marble companies not marble artist.... right?

What company has the Peltier machine now?

thanxs for dragging my name into the ring, i love the attention good or bad