1931 -- The Teaser

Steph

Albright Box was delivered today.

I have no doubt this box came with CAC's

Box was filled with 99 CAC Swirls (lucky I had 1 that matched the 1 missing

Look at end of box picture, tape is covering some of the text but it sure looks like CAC Cambridge Ohio to me

Also the box was stamped (Professional??) on the top

post-3145-0-32639900-1450394220_thumb.jp

post-3145-0-53084800-1450394228_thumb.jp

post-3145-0-17166400-1450394235_thumb.jp

Thanks, Ron. Nice find.

Yes, "Professional". :thup: See the box in Post #17.

I'm not sure why "Professional" was considered a marketable name ??? Professional marble player? But sure enough, that was a name they used.

Additional information on the Albright Company from the American Toy Museum web site: ALBRIGHT COMPANY, J.E., THE: proper name. A toy marble company located in Ravenna, Ohio, 12 miles east of Akron; made clay marbles; the last ceramic toy marble factory in the United States. The company stopped manufacturing clay marbles in 1942 at the beginning of World War Two, turning its production capacities over to the war effort. You can easily identify the clay marbles made by this company because they are almost perfectly spherical. Most clay marbles made by other marble companies used S.C. Dyke’s patented technique and these are not perfectly spherical. The J.E. Albright Company also distributed marbles made by The Christensen Agate Company in the 1920s.

Nice. Are those hand-gathered, Hansel?

Interesting proposition about Albright buying up and relabeling CACs after CACs demise . . . .

Is there any evidence that Albright distributed CACs under their own label before then? I wouldn't really be surprised -- MFC sold wholesale to distributors. Other companies did too (to Gropper and Rosenthal, for instance). Can we tell anything from the ads, Steph?

And thanks for the reminder that Gropper jobbered for CAC also.

Weird. Small company. Operating short time. Had both its own line and jobbers. Okay. I knew that. Why does it seem so strange to me?

If Albright just bought their marbles after CAC had already closed that would have had to have been a whole lot of marbles since Albright advertised having glass marbles. With no mention of "while supplies last".

Having a jobber would be good for distribution -- maybe especially for a small company in the Heartland. They could push their own marbles locally, but for national (or international) distribution you'd need someone with experience, connections, know-how, etc. Seems like. anyhow.

Maybe today we're so used to brand names it's hard to take into account they weren't always so prevalent. Like Akro being the first company to "brand" their marbles . . . even when their marbles were actually made by MFC. Some of the ads we've seen have been geared to wholesalers . . . or at least store proprietors.

Albright made clay marbles I do not believe they made glass marbles. Their jobber bags were sold as the cheapest glass marbles one could buy at the time. I now doubt that those came from CAC, Sure would be nice to see what was in one of those big burlap bags of glass marbles. I think we may be discussing two different sources for Albright glass marbles