My New Ohio Marble

1DanS

Dan, looks to me like you have a hand gathered hand made marble from one of the early American marble making companies. It could be a Navarre or a Leighton but more likely a M.F. Christensen, Akro Agate, Chrisrensen Agate, and maybe Peltier. Personally I think it is a Akro Agate as the purple looks like Akro glass. I think if it was a Navarre it would have more revolutions and a lot less bleed out once it got past the half way point. No matter what it is it is a super marble in pristine condition and a real prize. Ronnie

Interesting Ronnie; I have heard and considered the "hand gathered" theory of companies other the M.F.C.(but that is another subject), but have not heard the term hand gathered and handmade used for any glass companies other than those prior to M.F.C. Have you seen any type of pontil(s) on these companies marbles? Not doubting, just curious.

thanks

Interesting Ronnie; I have heard and considered the "hand gathered" theory of companies other the M.F.C.(but that is another subject), but have not heard the term hand gathered and handmade used for any glass companies other than those prior to M.F.C. Have you seen any type of pontil(s) on these companies marbles? Not doubting, just curious.

thanks

Dan, Yes for sure, A long time ago I put together a chronology of red slags starting with a hand made single

pontil black brick and ending with the last of the Akro slags. The later was weak in it's red coloring. In between

the black brick and the weak colored slag was a progression of about 40 or so marbles and I had them

sequenced in 1 foam waffled layer of a large gun case. The primarily black brick started to take on a red cast and

about the 10th or 12th marble was now the classic schoolhouse brick and about the 20th marble was a cherry

red Akro Agate with no brick and a sweet number 9 or 6 and from about the 30th on they started getting weaker

and weaker in other words cheaper and cheaper as marbles were losing their popularity and companies were

cheapening up on their product to survive. Another case in point: About 28 years ago at the first or second

Columbus show at the Lennox Inn (pretty sure the second) Earl Hogue a good friend of mine walked up to me

and said Ronnie do you have any idea what this is and handed me a marble. That marble was a inch and a half

single pontil Akro Agate Golden Onyx with Ox-Blood or AKA: Eggyolk Oxblood. I said yes I know what it is Earl

and it is very rare. I asked Earl, is it for sale and he said yes and I said well Earl I can only give you a thousand

dollars for it but it's worth a whole lot more than that. To make a long story short Earl sold it to Danny Turner from

the Running Rabbit auction house for either $3 thousand or $3500 cant remember. Scott Patrick knows the

picker that found the marble and sold it to Earl. What I'm trying to say is I think a lot of the older larger marble

factories employed immigrant master glass craftsmen from overseas and they hand made marbles while the

companies they worked for were setting up their new modern machines to mass produce marbles. Ronnie

I think Dan was asking if you had seen any with a regular pontil which means to me they were worked off a glass cane or rough punty, Not sheared like the ones you mention. I would love to see any other pics of American marbles with regular pontils. This is a first for me!