Conservation Discussion

lstmmrbls

pesrevate??????

Is there a teacher who could explain that one?

In textiles -

Conservation = to protect an item from further damage and to forego doing anything to the item which cannot be undone without any damage or change to the original item.

Restoration = enhancing the appearance or condition of the item using the exact same materials and techniques that were used in it's creation.

Since one cannot undo a polished surface, and a marble made by machine cannot be "re-made", I agree with Leroy that "reconditioning" is the most fitting description.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In textiles -

Conservation = to protect an item from further damage and to forego doing anything to the item which cannot be undone without any damage or change to the original item.

Restoration = enhancing the appearance or condition of the item using the exact same materials and techniques that were used in it's creation.

Since one cannot undo a polished surface, and a marble made by machine cannot be "re-made", I agree with Leroy that "reconditioning" is the most fitting description.

Yep. Same in other materials (objects & paintings conservation).

I know a guy that has a bunch of old marbles whose surfaces are so sweet and minty they appear to have been placed in a sock and hidden away in a drawer from the day they were first bought. That same guy also has polished a bunch of marbles with a three head machine and with hand polishing pads. That same guy also has a few torched vintage marbles a few recently made from vintage cane and all sorts of others. He knows the difference better than most. Even some torch workers that think they are witty scientartists. And since you keep pushing I see no art to what you do in resurfacing a marble Rich. Skill yes Artistic qualities ,none. Now making a marble from scratch that has great eye appeal and really has a message, now thats ART. That guy with the marbles may even have some Artistic abilities.

IMG_0392.JPG

Not me, Mike He is much more cleverer than I am. Read my post again Ann. I know a free shot at Galen is tough for you to ignore but my insinuation was far from what you interpreted from a simple statement. We all know you hate to agree with me about anything but sometime you may just need to think a little more before you take the shots. And just in case you did not know it does bother me when you constantly have to bring to light how painful it is when you do agree with me. I do not ever remember one time that I have been degrading disrespectful or plain nasty about any thing you have ever posted. Its is to bad I can not get the same in return.

Not me, Mike He is much more cleverer than I am. Read my post again Ann. I know a free shot at Galen is tough for you to ignore but my insinuation was far from what you interpreted from a simple statement. We all know you hate to agree with me about anything but sometime you may just need to think a little more before you take the shots. And just in case you did not know it does bother me when you constantly have to bring to light how painful it is when you do agree with me. I do not ever remember one time that I have been degrading disrespectful or plain nasty about any thing you have ever posted. Its is to bad I can not get the same in return.

I don't have to read your post again. I got it the first time.

May I remind you of a time not so long ago when you and a few others (including Hansel) hounded me for days after I said I heard a book on Fiedler was coming out, accusing me of "selling snake oil" and insinuating any number of other things about me. Yep, you both were just plain nasty. Degrading and disrespectful too. I'm sure you could probably dig up the multiple pages of those threads if you looked hard enough. Or I can.

So don't whine at me. I don't buy into it. I thought we cleared up that little matter via PMs a long time ago. I'd be happy to refresh your memory of that as well.

I respect your knowledge of CACs, Galen. Except when it comes to color. You're color blind. That's a fact.

And that's all.

I apologize if I called you any names or insulted you in any way for promoting the pamphlet even if it was in my opinion terrible, full of assumptions and bad information. I really don't remember doing anything like that but if I did I really am sorry for my behavior. And if it really makes you feel good please go right on insulting me.