Polished?

sciguy122

Isn't there a simple techniqe that marble polisher Leroy Johnson talked about using Windex spray or liquid dish detergent? Moisten the suspected marble with Windex, then try to pick it up between your thumb and index finger -- polished marbles are slippery and hard to hold. Not an exact science but a start . . . Chime in Leroy.

Big Indian, no braid

Re-conditioned machine made marbles are very hard to detect if done by a very careful Re-conditioner. Popeyecollector is correct about using Windex or dish detergent. Some of the things I use to detect reconditioned marbles are: First I look to see if there are any bursted surface bubbles and if there are I look to see if the rims of the bubble are square or rounded off. Square means re-conditioned. I look for remaining damage scars. Color striping being narrowed by glass removal. Very thin stripping with some area's of the stripping so thin that body glass is starting to show through. Of course you can always use a 20 power magnifying glass to look for streaks and etc. There are other signs, but I can't think of them right off hand.

I for one detest using a magnifying glass on marbles. When I look at a marble it isn't to see if I can find damage, but the beauty of the marble and thats why many years ago I started reconditioning marbles. I can renew the beauty of a hurt marble. These are my opinions and mine alone. ----Leroy----