Reheated Marbles Are More Common Than You Would Think

jeroen

I am very sorry that my post sounded like I was insinuating you would ever fake a pontil. I know you would never do such a thing. I simply meant it as an inquiry to the amount of remelted marbles in circulation today. My apology to you for not being more careful on my wording.

On both pictures of the pontils you can see perfectly smooth surface area between the grooves that were ground to make the pontils. At least that is what it appears to look like to me. That just isn't something you would ever see on both pontils of a cane cut marble because there would have been no way for that smoothness to appear with cane still attached to at least one end. It also appears all the pontil work is below the surface of the marble. Another sign of a manufactured pontil. Of course anything is possible, and I have certainly been wrong before.

Jeroen was just trying to point out something that he found odd in an auction. We have all done it, so drop it. I have a huge plastic tub of handmades, christensens, akro, boxes all packed and ready to ship to Charles. He is one of the most honest and best dealers around.

All sellers have items that slip by, it just happens, now there are sellers out there who do it on purpose, so its good that people look out for odd looking stuff on ebay. Thanks Jeroen, we appreciate all that you contribute.