What German Hand Mades Are Rare?

Here's a YouTube video of huge 2-1/8" mist Lutz marble.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UX4aoVI-uMI

Exceptional marble!

In the video, you have the date of manufacture as 1870-1890

However, Paul Baumann, in "Collecting Antique Marbles" 2004 provides good evidence that goldstone aventurine was not used in marbles before the end of the first decade of the 1900's.

From where did you get the 1870-1890 date?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exceptional marble!

In the video, you have the date of manufacture as 1870-1890

However, Paul Baumann, in "Collecting Antique Marbles" 2004 provides good evidence that goldstone aventurine was not used in marbles before the end of the first decade of the 1900's.

From where did you get the 1870-1890 date?

Yes, you're right, Hansel!

I got this green cloud type marble years ago when Gerhard Baz started selling on ebay. I suppose it's dug, I never asked. But it's a beauty, with red spots on the outside and bubbles in the core. It's not rough like it appears. I think I shot the photo with the marble in water. Les Jones wanted to buy it from me, so it must be an unusual type.

a020bc1f-6b04-4dcf-b6db-23e4abffbbdc_zps

I agree with the last few posts.

The large single potil end of cane Indian swirls are beautiful, quite rare and expensive. Condition and more and different colored surface canes the better.

Smaller examples recently coming from Lauscha are rumored to have been dug -- sold, then cleaned up and have a modern ground pontil.

Big Indian - no braid

You can thank Jeroen for giving me the idea for this thread. It was because of something that he said in another thread that gave me the idea to ask the question in a new thread. At the time, I had no idea that it would take off like it did but thank you Jeroen. Because of you, I don't think that 'you know who' will ever accuse 'me' of not being a contributing member of this forum.!!! ......and for that, I'm extremely grateful.

You can thank Jeroen for giving me the idea for this thread. It was because of something that he said in another thread that gave me the idea to ask the question in a new thread. At the time, I had no idea that it would take off like it did but thank you Jeroen. Because of you, I don't think that 'you know who' will ever accuse 'me' of not being a contributing member of this forum.!!! ......and for that, I'm extremely grateful.

Hi, Your welcome. I only collect old handmade marbles, and I think they are equal beautiful than machine mades. But The machine mades get more attention here on this forum than the hand mades I think. Sometimes a veryrare and nice handmade marble is posted, and it gets only a few reactions. With some machine mades if have seen that there are many reactions. But I think there are more machine made collectors than handmade collectors.

Would it be an idea to make a separate section with questions, id's ect for handmades? Even on ebay hand made an machine made marbles have separate sections.

Well to contribute to this topic about what handmade marbles are rare. Any onionskin that is over 2-1/2 inch is rare. The photo shows a 2-19/32 inch onionskin with mica.

post-2911-0-33348500-1391169277_thumb.jp

A separate section for information and questions on handmades? I'm not sure. In one way, I think that ebay has them separate for practical reasons, to make it easier for people to find what they are looking for, bot on the other hand, here it might be counter productive. Steph, I know you are out here somewhere, what do you think about it? I think when everything is all lumped together, that people who would not normally seek out information on hand mades, reads the thread anyway, just because it is there and perhaps learns something or gets a greater appreciation for hand mades. There are more people who collect machine mades because they are more available and in many cases, more affordable. I don't think it would hurt to start another thread and ask people what they think about the concept. Yes, I'll do that right now. Thanks again Jeroen for another good idea. !!!