What German Hand Mades Are Rare?

If it is, here is what Block says in his Marbles, Identification and Price Guide, 1996 expanded and revised 2nd edition. It says that the more ribbons, the rarer the marble. 6 bands are extremely rare. This looks like it has much more than that. 4 bands are the most common, 3 and 5 come next, and then 6. The book does not mention any more than six so maybe this is not a divided core swirl. Another title is open core swirl.....means the same thing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, they've always been iffy. The only price guide that was really good was the one he did that cited real auction sales. And then, a lot has changed in the marble world since 1996. Are there any good price guides that have been written lately. I do know of one that is sold as a cyber book and I do like it, and actually bought it, but unfortunately it is on a different laptop that is now dead and I never got around how to figure out how to reload it on this one without having to re-buy it.

well I thought it was rare and then I search the best book of all Ebay just searched ""blue and white"" in hand made and found this , so I think mine would be close but smaller as mine is about 5/8 , Mike

Antique Vintage Blue & White Solid Ribbon Core Glass German Swirl Marble

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-Blue-White-Solid-Ribbon-Core-Glass-German-Swirl-Marble-/231134993782?pt=Marbles&hash=item35d0b81d76

still the best book and it is on line .

Tomorrow I will look for some others that are a multi color solid core and look to see if solid or a tight divided core and I think that what would be called a solid core is a very tight divided core ??

here are the same pics but not cropped might be a better view as some times a little away is a better view ?? Mike

800a01115_zps31518a80.jpg

800a02123_zps4f8a4ccf.jpg

800a03130_zpsb36e8a8b.jpg

800a04140_zps967ba39f.jpg

800a05146_zps07a5e9da.jpg

800a06154_zps495ebb48.jpg

800a08019_zpsc51fbe44.jpg

800a09108_zps62af73f4.jpg

Marbles34 I like the butterfly.....1st pic....one. I think that that one is pretty rare but am no expert at all, still just learning after 25 years. I have had to be a generalist what with owning an antiques store, so could not eat, sleep and drink marbles like some....still, I study them as much as I can and have learned a lot over the years....I'm so grateful for sites like this one as they effect one's ability to learn exponentially.!!!!!

Hi Stephan...I like the colors...have always been and earthy gal myself !!! lol Looks like a divided ribbon core swirl. Don't know if its rare either but I like it and I like the fact that people are coming to this thread and participating. That is what makes it fun....to always come and see what is new and exciting !!! I know, I know, I must have an awfully small brain if a little old marble can get me excited rather than some huge thing with global meaning !!!!

• 1 month later...

I'm counting at least 12 bands but they are hard to count without having the marble in hand. The book describes naked examples with no outer layers as 'very rare'.

Re the blue and white latticinio . . . I think it may instead be a version of what Baumann (and therefore I) call "candy-striped solid core." They're usually constructed like latticinios with fatter threads touching each other. Occasionally there's a tiny gap or two. The usual candy-stripe core colors are (1) red and white and (2) blue and white. I've actually found more blue and white than red and white. Every now and then an odd one shows up (purple & white, green & white). Although they're usually caged, It's not particularly unusual to find them "naked." This kinda looks like it was going there --

That was one of the first handmade types I got interested in --