Ok Clowns

Clowns and clouds are 2 different things. Clowns refer to the colors and pattern. Clouds are end/begin of cane with single pontil which makes it how it was made. You can have any number clowns in a canes but you can only have 2 clouds per cane making them rarer.

this don't make sense be if a clown would be outlined by black would a cloud also be outlined by black and make that a clown... or is it just cause its a single pontil... then isn't it call a single pontil ???

Let's get the newer collectors up to date on the three big same cane clowns that were found and sold on the East Coast some years ago by Elliot Pincus. The dynamic trio - including a single pontil end of cane - eventually were sold at auction on separate lots for jaw dropping amounts along with hefty buyers' premiums.

Someone must have more information: size, pictures and a record of the five figure prices paid for those clown beauties.

Big Indian

Clowns can and usually have 2 pontils. If it has 1 pontil then it can be clown cloud or cloud clown if it forms the correct shape to define it as a cloud. Kidding or not Randy's comment on clouds becoming clowns by way of a name change to get more money is going to be confusing to newbies.

Clowns and clouds are 2 different things. Clowns refer to the colors and pattern. Clouds are end/begin of cane with single pontil which makes it how it was made. You can have any number clowns in a canes but you can only have 2 clouds per cane making them rarer.

Clyde

I disagree. I think many cloud marbles are two-pontil-marbles. A cloud is about the same marble as an onionskin, but the pattern is out of patches. I think most collectors would agree that this is a cloud-marble on the picture and this one definately has two pontils.

My two cents

Ron

post-2885-0-45222200-1394136903_thumb.pn

Let's get the newer collectors up to date on the three big same cane clowns that were found and sold on the East Coast some years ago by Elliot Pincus. The dynamic trio - including a single pontil end of cane - eventually were sold at auction on separate lots for jaw dropping amounts along with hefty buyers' premiums.

Someone must have more information: size, pictures and a record of the five figure prices paid for those clown beauties.

Big Indian

Randy's two marbles pictures in the first few posts of this thread - aren't they two of those three? They were sold by Elliot, but I doubt they were 'found' in the USA. Most these brightly colored mibs are 'found' in Europe and the UK.

Big Indian

Big Indian

Ok, yes these are two of the marbles that were sold at Morphys about 10+ years ago

Of these two, the largest is 2-3/8" and as I recall it sold for $14,300

And the smaller one I think is 1-7/8" and sold for around 2800.00

I don't have them sitting in front of me so sizes are as I remember.

I did not buy them from Morphys I bought them later.

I would like to get my hands on the third one too.

I still don't see the black line around the green and blue spots?

JW's second marble does show 5 distinct colors, orange yellow red blue and green, I would call it a clown for sure, notice the blue and green have no outlines. on the first JW marble all the colors look to be floating above a white core, some of the blue and green are transparent giving a tint to the core, it does show 5 colors floating making it a clown?.

I don't consider tiny specks of dirt on the white as a color.

Jeroen,

I'm going to go out on a limb here, something is not setting right with me about this marble, are we sure its not one of those more recent marbles produced in Europe to look like an older marble? Very nice looking for sure!

Greg