Marble Vocabulary From The Past & From Other Countries

Steph

• 3 weeks later...

Current master list:

Current combined list:

agate, agates, aggie, aggies, allies, alley, alleys, bamboozler, blackies, blockbuster octopus, blockbusters, blood alley, bloodies, blue alley, blue candy stripes?, bolders, bowlers, bullseyes, chaney alleys, chinas, Chinas, chinee, Chinees, clayies, clearies, cloudies, combos, commies, commons, cornelian, crockie, crockies, crokers, crystals, doughie, doughies, ducks, Englishies, flinties, glass agate, glass agates, glassies, halfies, houses, kimmies, klogknocker (sp? clogknocker?), immies, knicks, man, megs, men, mibbs, mibs, middles, miggle, miggs, migs, milkies, mossies, nickers, pee-wees, peedabs, peewee's, peewees, perfects, pimples, plasters, plumpers, pot-eyes, potashes, potteries, pures, reallies, red eyes, red moonstone?, ring men, ringers, robin's eggs, root beer cleary, shooters, steelies, stony alleys, sugar-tops, taw, 3 line cleary, tiger-eyes, tolley, Tom, Tom troller, white alley,

-- including all the spelling variants and singulars and plurals even if that may seem silly -- just in case :)
-- the two question marks so far are because I wasn't sure whether the color was part of the name or just a description
-- some names may not represent what we use the words for now -- for example "blackies" may be different from Vitro's version

Current foreign terminology: gudes (Brazil), Torrah (Africa), bowls (England), bolitas (South America), "kicking the marbles" (China)

Geordie dialect, from Tyneside in NE England:

Liggies is an abbreviation of lignum vitae.
Boodies were clay marbles.
The penka was a large marble (up to 2.5 inches, used as a target).
Other terms used include marvils, muggles, alleys, parper, scudder and taws.
Blood alleys had red in the glass and snot alleys had white. A pop-alley was a pop bottle stopper used as a marble.

Source: A dictionary of North-east dialect 3rd Edition - Northumbria Press.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

The two that I remember were bombuchas (that word is the pidgin english in Hawaii for the word for "huge") and Peerees (not sure of the spelling--used to say it, not spell it) that many refer to clearies.  I can't remember the others.  I also remember that we used to have a lot of cat eyes and marble kings.  I think our cat eyes came from Japan a lot of times.