CATS?

Homes454

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Liz, the auction marbles you show in your post were sold by a German seller, "gladius2". I won one of those lots. They were all handmades but I thought several of them looked a bit like catseyes with pontils! Very interesting indeed and types I haven't seen before.

John

No idea on age. Uneducated guess would be late 50s or so????????????? It is very rough as made.

Liz and Andrea

I also won a lot. I think they would fall into the shrunken core onionskin catagory (at least the 2 in the front and right) but don't know for sure. One of the ones I won appears to be a single pontil. We shall see...

Gary

Here's a pic from a pole of the foreign sparkler that I posted earlier. Ann was right, it does have a relatively flat ribbon that is slightly curved. Sorry the pic doesn't show a lot of detail, but it does reveal the structure. Ignore the yellow in the lower left quadrant. It is a reflection.

mvc023f4ha.jpg

Elizabeth

I won the pretty ones in the above post! Thanks for showing them off for me liz!

I think I got beat out for that orange single pontle and another look alike of the white one with all the colors :huh: Ah well, that's ebay....

Those were very interesting handmades the guy had up, and I am glad I got some of them.

I have a large....very large german sparkler with a giant vane or core of aventurine in it. I think it is over 1 1/8. It does have the orange peel surface. I am getting a new camera today ( I hope it comes in )!!! And I will be able to finally get some pics and post them.

This one I have is does not have any color on the outside of the marble, and it it not a real wide ribbon on the inside. It looks almost like a bannana cat that got a little carried away in the center, kinda swells out with other colors, but doesn't get really wide or out of control.

Pics will help and this may be a good first subject for the new camera this afternoon!!

I'll try to post them if I can manage to work the camera :blink:

It is a Cannon S2 by the way. I hope is does what they say!!

I got this 1-1/8" "Badboy" at one of Del's auctions.... It's always been a favorite!! I never really noticed the orange peel.... It's not an "all over" thing. There are spots that are smooth...

Between the fins / veins on one side and the bubbles on the other, it's got a lot of action goin' on!!

zspark.gifzspark2.gifzspark3.gif

• 1 year later...

I missed this thread when it first appeared but I have an original bag of foreign sparklers many with oxblood which is from France. I will try to take some pics and post them if there is still interest in this thread.

S

I missed this thread when it first appeared but I have an original bag of foreign sparklers many with oxblood which is from France. I will try to take some pics and post them if there is still interest in this thread.

S

Too cool! Original packaging is da bomb!

Cees, I actually have a bar of soap in the shape of a little girl with a 3/4" or so Sparkler in her hand. She's standing up and is about 4 inches tall. I will try and get a picture up of it. It's pretty unique.

Craig

• 2 months later...

ok, now that school is over, I have time to post that bag I told you about earlier. The bag is heavy plastic, this jives with the woman who sold it to me saying it was from the early 60's (no barcodes). I bought it from Ebay's France site in the early days. The header is doubled, (there are two of them). it says " Les Jouets de bout chou" which I am told is an expression equivalent to "toys of little darlin" or little rascal" in France. The marbles themselves are german sparklers. There are about 30 of them inthe 5/8 size and 1 boulder sparkler 1 and 1/8 in size. The majority of them have oxblood. Enjoy.

post-279-1198357677_thumb.jpg post-279-1198357692_thumb.jpg post-279-1198357700_thumb.jpg

Sparklers are commonly found in the u,k.Usually they are mixed in with cats eyes and vintage swirls.I assume because they look a bit like cats most people assume they are.I can remember as a kid in the 70's playing with them,even my mates had them,but they were not new marbles even then.The ones with oxblood stripes in them were always prized and were keepers, and many other vintage marbles were prized by us as kids,because they were diffrant from what we could buy as new in the shops,noticably cats eyes.So if anyone wanted to play keepsies with anything diffrant then the common cats eyes,it was always an epic game and many kids including myself went away heart broken or very happy.Its gone and got me all nostalgic now. :blush:

The sparkler of interested has been described as type 4,which is a clear base type with fine fillaments of blue and white,and sometimes purple and white.They resemble the american sunbursts only not as pretty.I believe some of these were unearthed in an archeological excavation of a bombsite from the last war.The excavation was a part of the Time Team series of programs.Has anyone else seen this program and can confirm if these marbles are indeed type 4. :unsure:

Its interesting as Britain was pretty much an island fortress during that time and cut off from mainland europe, it may suggest that they were being produced from the latter part of the 1930's onwards. ;)