Bulgarian Curiosities

ann

• 8 months later...

Folks: I missed more than I thought since I have been gone and these are one of them. As several other member have done I bought 8 of these to study. What a waste of money, fortunate for me the prices for these modern marbles is falling as more collector steer away from them but I believe it is the new collector whom are most at risk and am asking Steph to being the topic back up.

I am going to re-list them as contemporary marbles and go into extreme detail, lol. Vintage my ass, lol.

Bill

I know these sellers have been reported multiple times to ebay. I think we should all complain at one time to ebay... a coordinated effort with a statement endorsed by a lot of the collectors in the community. Then we can all add our signatures and copy/paste it to the "report this auction" link on ebay. It'd a shame this person is allowed to continue to rip people off this way and it's a shame that ebay continues to allow it even after hundreds or thousands of reports.

He has been at it since Aug of 2013 and would bet has racked up a bunch of Ebay and Paypal fees which they gladly except and as long as the cash is coming in Ebay will turn a blind eye. What really pisses me off is the re-sellers in the states that intentionally deceive bidders knowing full well that when they purchased the marbles they weren't vintage. Rant over, lol.

They're starting to appear in the secondary market now. I bought a marble off of Ebay recently that looked ok in the images (they weren't the best images in the world, but it looked interesting). When it got here, it turned out to be a Bulgarian.

And you wont get an Answer Galen, A seller from Bulgaria last year in early 2014 made a big mistake by having some photos of them up for sale in a Window sill In (Bulgaria) Prior to this photo I had serious thoughts as others that they could have some age to them, heck nice patterns pretty glass hand gatherd (9's) whats not to like, a wide array of colors. Problem was in this photo that the bulgarin seller had put on ebay was you could very clearly see the tell tale reflection of a Glass furnace in the backround, clear as day. After that photo my thoughts of any age to them went up in smoke real quick, and of coarse when theres $$$$ involved they will give the marbles any titlle they so choose, handmade, antigue, vintage, Leighton, what ever they want to put the $$$ in the bank, I think they will definetly continue to do this as long as they keep selling, Sometimes they go for cheap while others can go between 20.00 and 60.00 depending on the colors and beauty of the pattern, Old Vintage Antique Leighton"s, No, fake imposter cheap imitations,Lieing cheating Bulgarian glass artists that want in your wallet because they have found out that American collectors will pay good money for something different and unique YES ! The worst part of it is when the reach the U.S. and american marble collectors and dealers try and pass them off as Old or Leighton's once there are here is just not right, Perhaps they should be referred to as Bulgarian Art Glass marbles, with the vintage tag removed, and of coarse when they first arrived on the scene many people including myself were intrigued and had to have a few at least as examples just incase they happened to be actually old, The earlier ones have very rough ground or sheared pontils, as long as there are buyers they will continue to make them, I wonder how many are in the large gunny sack photo? DB.

post-3519-0-26833500-1426450494_thumb.jp

post-3519-0-96227800-1426450534_thumb.jp

Folks:

I think it's time to have some fun and see if it has any impact.

Here is the draft of the listing:

--------------

@WW@ 5 CONTEMPORARY BULGARIAN HAND MADE USING RE-CYCLED GLASS MARBLES

LOT 1000: 5 EA CONTEMPORARY BULGARIAN HAND MADE USING RE-CYCLED GLASS MARBLES, SINGLE PONTIL, SLIGHTLY UNDER 1", HAS SOME SURFACE CREASES, EXAMPLES ARE APPROXIMATELY 1/64" OUT OF ROUND OTHERWISE MINT.

THE UNKNOWN MAKERS ARE DOING QUITE A JOB AT PRODUCING A VARIED GROUP OF MARBLES NEVER SEEN BEFORE. THE NINES ARE REMINISCENT OF MARBLES MADE YEARS AGO.
IT APPEARS THAT THESE MARBLES ARE MADE FROM RE-CYCLED GLASS (GOING GREEN!) AS THE LARGE AMOUNT OF EMBEDDED DIRT WOULD INDICATE (CLEARLY SEEN IN THE FIRST AS WELL AS OTHER PICS). IT WOULD ALSO APPEAR THAT THIS PROCESS WILL ONLY IMPROVE MAKING THEIR FIRST PRODUCTION RUNS THAT MORE VALUABLE.
HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO OWN WHAT IS SURE TO BE HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE IN YEARS TO COME THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PASS ON TO FUTURE GENERATIONS OF CONTEMPORARY MARBLE COLLECTORS.
GOOD LUCK!
1st Pic in Listing:
post-3677-0-64462600-1426610974_thumb.jp
-------------
I am open to any suggestions regarding the verbiage and seek it. I will list it before I call it a day.
Thanks,
Bill

Done.

In the best of all world the sellers will see this and realize that the best approach moving forward would be to list these as contemporaries.

I have to admit that there Guinea style marbles appear to be older as I can see no comparison with the glass used to produce the untold number of swirls hitting Ebay and the Guinea's.

Is there a simple method to test the age of glass?

Ah, here's where that question went. I knew I saw it.

I do not think there is a simple method to test the age of glass.

When I think of that question I think of California sulphides. Was the age question ever resolved for those? (And if so, how?)

• 2 months later...

He's back at it again !

I was almost falling for it, and asked about them, so glad I did, here's the link.

Some of them look pretty good to me, but, then, I like the machine mades.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=32250-1732&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=supermarbles&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Hope that link works!

• 8 months later...