Found Another!

I bought one of these several months back, and never thought I'd see another... Last time I posted a few pictures for id help on the first, zaboo told me she believed it to be of the akro blueberryade swirl family... It's not really and "ade" though, as the base glass doesn't glow... but it does have some of the green glow within the blue striping. ANYWAYS, I was about to give up on finding another, when low and behold, the guy I bought the first one from had another... BUT THIS ONE has a very nice corking action as where the first ( can be seen in my gallery posts) does not. Anyways, since it's not really a blueberryade, then what is it? Does anyone else have any similar? Is it a ringer? I'll shut up now, and read the replies. :icon_popcorn:

IMG 1655

IMG 1651

IMG 1649

It is in the Ade family, in the sense that the Ades and your blue marbles were all sold as "Moss Agates" ... a popular marble for Akro.

No idea what the collector's name for it would be. Zaboo would know that better than me.

Nowadays people don't seem impressed by the Moss Agate name and they just use it for the patches. But that's what Akro called them. Moss Agates. And they were one of Akro's pricier lines.

By the way, it is my opinion, which I think several share, that the marbles which some think of as Ringers were versions of that. One color moss agate corks, which could sometimes have enough clear to seem like they were more related to the Popeyes than to the Mosses.

By the way, it is my opinion, which I think several share, that the marbles which some think of as Ringers were versions of that.

You just made something go click in my head! I love it when that happens.

A couple of years ago I got my first ringer (black cork in opalescant/clear) and was happy with that . . . there are some marbles I just want examples of, without getting hung up in every variation, so I try for a nice one and call it quits. But then early this year I saw . . . a yellow one. First time I had seen what I had understood was a Ringer in a color other than black. So I got it as a pet for my black one.

Never occurred to me to think of them as Moss Agates . . . but I will from here on out -- thanks, Steph!

:)

If they have fire, they were probably Aces.

If they have some milky but no fire, then probably Moss Agates.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

... And thanks for making my brain click too. I hadn't thought about Aces being in the group which get called Ringers, but they certainly could be.

I thought "Ringers" were essentially like a Popeye with white and one color instead of two - no fire like Aces and no "mossy" glass like Moss Agates. Although, "Ringer" was a box name, as far as I recall, and there may have been more than one type of marble put in that type of box?

I don't remember ever seeing anyone talk about ringers not having fire, or having fire. Just that they're like Popeye with white and clear but only one other color.

Yes, ringer was a name on a box, presumably letting kids know it was for the ringer marble game. Yes, I think they contained more than one type of marble. I haven't ever seen any indication that Akro intentionally ran a line which matched our description of ringer. So the question is which marble line that Akro did resulted in the marbles we call ringers.

I posted that many people think it's the watery Moss Agates which are the ones people think of as ringers.

But Ann made me remember that Aces could fit the description people use for ringer, and might fit it better than Moss Agates do.