What Else Do You Collect Besides Marbles

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I collect old cast iron still banks. Cant afford the mechanical ones I already spend to much money on marbles which the wife does not complain about so don't want to push it. I guess I also collect a lot of wood working tools since that is my other hobby but I don't consider that collecting since I use them

Any cross-over with marbles? I remember a sulphide which had an 1800's presidential slogan in it, but folks were suspicious about it.

It was such an obscure slogan that I wanted it to be the real deal. Was an odd thing for someone to study up on and then create in modern times.

I've never found any cross-overs. A sulphide with a presidential slogan from that time period wouldn't make sense. Campaign memorabilia is very rarely something other than a button, cloth or paper, and is never something that would not have been used by "eligible voters", such as toys and marbles. A lot of fake items use obscure companies, subjects, etc. because a novice on the subject will normally think "this isn't a well known (fill in the blank), why would someone fake it?"

I bumped the thread for you: http://marbleconnection.com/topic/19618-william-mckinley-sulphide/

Some 20th century marble companies did goodies for political candidates. Don't know about it often being presidential ...

But Akro and Master had some political things. And Peltier had a couple of president names on picture marbles. (I think two.)

Well, don't want to sidetrack this thread, so there's the link to the sulphide thread. :)

I have a few pieces of different types of cullet, and a very small collection of Akro glassware.

In terms of "What Else" that's a little more separate from marbles, I like old bottles (mostly

soda pop) and related accessories. Have always enjoyed trying to make photos that combine

this stuff with marbles in a hopefully fun or interesting way.

The photo with the two bottles shows a 'carrier' that the folks at Coca-Cola attached to

supermarket carts so people could enjoy a Coke while they were shopping!

The good ol' days! :)

P1020393.jpg

P1010744a.jpg

P1010869.jpg

P1020352.jpg

Thanks for the comments, and sorry I didn't have it in me to shrink

them down a little and make them a little more easily viewable.

A who tree?

I'm afraid I'm totally ignorant of this sort of thing, and will have to ask

one of our knowledgeable people to answer this question. :blush:

By the way, I collect senior moments which have turned into senior occasions!!!

I had to add a room to store them all.LOL

Had a good time at the Canton show.

Tom Reed was there and liquidated his entire collection.There were some happy buyers.

Bill Bass and Mike Coyle to name a few.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Steph.  It was interesting to see your collection of gumball and cracker jack items because I still have mine from when I was a kid.  I collect way too many things, many are varieties of plants that I like.  However, I am particularly fond of my marbles.  Laura 

On February 9, 2016 at 1:52 AM, jeeperman said:

Collected pocket knives for a bit, unfortunately roomate had a party and the collection walked away. Gave the zippo collection to a friend, Currently besides marbles, I collect different species of African Cichlids. lol

Cichlids rule!  A friend of mine used to have a KILLER cichlid tank...then he built a reef.  I can't even keep a cactus alive.