Champion Marbles Box....

mibcapper

From Pic magazine, July 25, 1939, Champion boxes.

PicMagazine_July1939_001.jpg

Here is a price list is from 1940 or early 1941. It's part of a flyer which quotes a 1940 article and speaks of plans for a 1941 tournament. I think the No. 25 Marble King gift box would be what one of the Champion boxes switched to.

BerryPinkInc460pct.jpg

They definately predate Marble King Company. But i have yet to find proof that they were all filled before Marble King Company. I did not see in any of the advertisments stating that this box set was discontinued anytime before Marble KIng Company. Yes we know they were filled and around before Marble King Company. But when were they discontinued or no more made or filled ? With Berry Pinks tie to Marble KIng,if he or they had these boxes in stock why would they not put Marble KIng marbles in them ?

That would mean they kept the same design gift box for more than 15 years. Maybe more than 20 counting the time from when the design first appeared to the time when Rainbows were available. That doesn't mesh with the feeling I get from Berry Pink. I'd think he wanted something fresh and modern.

Yes, the Big Value box appears to have been available for that long. I would imagine that the exception rather than the rule. Also, the Big Value box was still advertised as being for sale throughout all those years.

Well, I have my answer. I was curious whether anyone thought it plausible that the boxes might originally have been stocked with Marble Kings. Now I know some do. :)

If I find any ads from after Rainbows started being made maybe I'll add them.

I don't think it would be so unusal for the same box or package to be used for 15-20 years. I think you might find several possibles if you check into every box or package that was used by Peltier,Akro,Vitro,Ravenswood,along with many jobbers. The problem is getting a true start date and a true end date for most marble packages. I have not ruled out that Marble King marbles were originally packaged in this type box. But i may have to change that thought someday ?