Pasta Poll

kbobam

That market looks fantastic!!. Nothing around here anything like it!! We have some nearby farmers markets a couple days each week but the selection is usually fairly small and seasonal. https://www.facebook.com/VallejoFarmersMarket. All the grocery store produce is flavorless. Being close to the Central Valley we are lucky enough to have some very large roadside produce stands, a few have gotten to be fairly good sized. This is the best and my favorite. http://www.yelp.com/biz/pedrick-produce-dixon

But on a happy note, I picked up some yu choy from the Asian market around the corner. Last time my first bok choy. This time my first yu choy. Had never heard of yu choy before but now I've cooked and eaten some. :)

Well, it doesn't taste so much like cabbage. I'm not sure what I would say it tasted like. Reminded me a little bit of asparagus but that might just have been the texture of the stalk. Someone online compared the taste to spinach.

The stalk is more skinny and doesn't look like celery the way bok choy does.

Edit: I just cooked some more of the yu choy and I notice now that the stalk does still resemble celery in places, but slender celery. Doesn't open up wide at the bottom. And all this is silly -- how much it looks like celery or doesn't -- since it doesn't taste like celery. ... but celery scares me, so that's maybe why I care about that part. :D

I am very Jealous !! I would be there for hours and hours looking for odd food stuff. Like Bob I do not mind (and actually enjoy) sampling items I have never had before. Just wish I would have tried Sushi way before I finally did. I think it may be the best food on Earth.

• 4 weeks later...