Definition Of A Machine-Made Swirl

I think I know what you're talking about when you're describing the "jewel" type (I think I've stumbled across a couple), but I'm not sure. Got a pic or two? Love to see if I DO have a few . . .

I think I know what you're talking about when you're describing the "jewel" type (I think I've stumbled across a couple), but I'm not sure. Got a pic or two? Love to see if I DO have a few . . .

Very slag-like appearance. The semi-opaque base seems to be the hardest to find, possibly some fully opaques out there too. Light will barely pass through the murkiness to see that the ribbons go all the way into the marble. Most are transparent based and some are translucent.

rubyjewel_zpsf709fff0.jpg

Well, turns out I only have one. Transparent green base glass with 6 ribbons, although most of each ribbon is on the surface (opposite of iceberg, I guess). The three semi-opaque odd-base-colored ones I have only have four ribbons. Which doesn't stop me from still liking the one that looks like tomato juice . . .

Where was the term "swirl:" fist used for machine made marbles and by whom? Was it a term first used by a marble manufacturer or a marble distributor (like Albright)? if a manufacturer first coined the phrase regarding a line of mibs they manufactured, it could have been a term applied to describe how they appeared, or maybe a term to describe the process in how they were manufactured . If the term was first used by a marketing or distributer company, it likely would have been due to how they appeared. Knowing how and why they were first named might shed light on what the definition of a "swirl" should be.