Was This A Good Buy?

mon

Steph, you could be correct.....all this mfc talk has me assuming. What's at the end...looks like it could be a "C" but not an "O" for Company ......I thought of the "K" in the tear as an upward crossbar "H".....

Ooooh! 'Outside the box' thinking! This is getting interesting!

The 'Christensen' concept looked good.

But the 'Akro Agates' one does too.

Here's the difference, at least as I'm seeing it. And I'm approaching this

as an 'impartial observer', since I don't know anything at all about this stuff.

'Christensen' looks right at first for the printing you can see above the label.

Sort of. At least the 'SEN' at the end looks feasible.

But the 'AGATES' theory shows better odds.

If you assume that those last two 'dot-like' things aren't part of the lettering (maybe a

quotation mark?), then the previous 5 or possibly 6 bits that we see could easily fit in

with the printing of 'AGATES'. The top of the final 'TES' is pretty clear, and what you

see in front of that are a less clear but still fairly convincing tops of a 'G' and 'A'. For

the 'A' you only see the smallest piece of the top-most point.

My two cents, for what it's worth! ( :

_12_zps2a9721c9.jpg

Stephanie is right. let me shine a little light on this. This was a salesman's sample box that Akro used as a shipping box. If you were to peel that label off, it would say Assorted agate onyx, #0 to 6 incl.

No 1 Display box, and below that, N0 112 Display box, under that, Manufactured by, The Akro Agate Co, Clarksburg W.Va.

I wouldn't peel the label off tho, the label is harder to find than the box is.

I have seen one other with this label over the sample box, it contained red onyx marbles. The marbles that were in this box were much later, since when this box was sent the Chinese checker marbles were not being manufactured.

~Ernie

Ernie either has a photographic memory or x-ray eyes......what a nice box! Any info or timeline on the paper Akro label? I like both and not sure if I would break out the blow drier and see some peeling action...probably ruin both.

Thanks for that post HD, fits like a glove! Stupid question....did the tan box have a reversed by size two rows of 0-6 onyx=14 marbles? And what type was standard in the no.16 and no.112 box, onyx also?

The tan box did have two rows "reversed by size". No.6, 5, 4 on one side and 3,2,1,0 on the other, I think.

The 16 and 112 boxes contained striped onyx as well.

I was informed that most of these boxes are found without postage. To find them with only adds to the rarity and value. It would of had 2 more 1 cent stamps that you can see fell off this box. Kinda stuff I would never think of.........

Oh, and the tan boxes found unaltered had the same color onyx marbles in it.

I was informed that most of these boxes are found without postage. To find them with only adds to the rarity and value. It would of had 2 more 1 cent stamps that you can see fell off this box. Kinda stuff I would never think of.........

Oh, and the tan boxes found unaltered had the same color onyx marbles in it.

Akro used a variety of mailers.

With a shipping label covering all the printing on the lid of the box, I suppose it could have been used as a generic mailing box.

My mailing box, now empty, has a single cancelled 6 cent stamp on the mailing label.