New Member, Old Collection 8

sarab

I don't think I see any oxblood here, but there are some good marbles here, better than silver oxbloods. Those pelts in the top right segment need more pics. I'm thinking there is at least one superman there (value) and maybe some more in the same family. There might be a rebel there, not sure. Maybe also a flaming dragon. Take more pics of those showing different views.

The ones under the shooters on the left, the red, black, white one and the red, white, blue one need more pics. They might be good ones. The segment to the right of those is a mix of stuff, maybe a pelt sunset, a vitro phantom conqueror, etc...

cheese: how should I take more pics of the ones you suggested? individual? the chinese import is one my daughter found a couple years ago and I just tossed it in the jar....gasp, I know. thanks for letting me know it's modern....I looked at pics of transitionals last evening and started to get excited.

Also, with Steph's comments about marbles with 9's being better, I guess I should look for those too and maybe retake pics.

So helpful, I love this.

Take pics of different angles of the marbles in groups of 3 or so. Try to show every place where you see the ribbons end. This is called the seam or cut line and is very helpful in providing information as to who made the marble.

And regardless of what you read in books (I can't believe I just said that) you can't always see black filiments in oxblood. But I don't see any oxblood in this pic.

When I was first trying to figure out oxblood, someone said to me "Don't worry about it. Once you've actually seen the real deal, there'll be no question in your mind. You'll recognize it from then on." Which pretty much turned out to be true.

Anyway, there have been lots of debates and squabbles over the years about what is or is not oxblood, but it turns out there is some variation in it.

Oh man, now you've got my attention! I love those NLR pelts (remember NLR when you were asking about the cub scout, well these are some). The blue/yellow is one. The blue/red/yellow is a superman. The blue/reddish orange is a superboy, the green/reddish orange is a flaming dragon. The black/red/white is a rebel. The red/white/blue is a liberty. All sought after marbles and some of yours have great patterns. Don't let them bang around and get any little chips or marks, there is value there. The last 2 pics... first is a group of 3 pelt rainbos, the last is some sort of WV swirl.

http://www.landofmarbles.com/pc/s004/marble-storage-and-display.html

For a starter set that would be good.

And for your most special marbles where you want to be extra careful to protect them from nicks, you can give them their own individual compartment.

I put my most special ones in little plastic baggies (like 2"x2" or 1.5"x1.5") but they're harder to see that way, so show-offs would be cool.